• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

ESG scores

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not my "BeLiEfS" but you keep that attitude.
Post automatically merged:

Here's one:

You wanna tell me this is about this about the environment? Horseshit! It's about scamming people!

Did you watch this video? It's about carbon tax. It makes no mention of banks having a feature to track your carbon footprint.

Thanks for wasting my time though, I guess.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honest advice I think people need to hear. You should be against DEI and ESG. These practices help no one and extremely exploitive of everyone. I personally think DEI has done more harm to those they are claiming to represent. They’ve done more to segregate people over something stupid like gaming. If you want to do something, don’t loudly protest or push people away from these games. Be smarter than some culture war freaks. Don’t give into FOMO, don’t preorder games, and don’t invest into companies. Research each game upon release, DEI companies LOVE to boast about games they are involved in. Then don’t buy the games. If you want to be more proactive, encourage others to pirate the games. Don’t attempt to deny people an experience, it only plays into the back and forth of the culture war.

I am part of sweet baby inc detected and been avoiding every game there. I’ve also found other companies like SBI that I’ve been avoiding. I’ve also taken to just pirating every game before buying it

Reactions: zfreeman and Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Honest advice I think people need to hear. You should be against DEI and ESG. These practices help no one and extremely exploitive of everyone. I personally think DEI has done more harm to those they are claiming to represent. They’ve done more to segregate people over something stupid like gaming. If you want to do something, don’t loudly protest or push people away from these games. Be smarter than some culture war freaks. Don’t give into FOMO, don’t preorder games, and don’t invest into companies. Research each game upon release, DEI companies LOVE to boast about games they are involved in. Then don’t buy the games. If you want to be more proactive, encourage others to pirate the games. Don’t attempt to deny people an experience, it only plays into the back and forth of the culture war.

I am part of sweet baby inc detected and been avoiding every game there. I’ve also found other companies like SBI that I’ve been avoiding. I’ve also taken to just pirating every game before buying it
The Catboy took the red pill. Now I’ve seen everything. :lol:

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Catboy took the red pill. Now I’ve seen everything. :lol:
There’s only so much of the current AAA meta you can see before you finally decide to make something of a stance. For me, it was seeing just how bad games have gotten and how bloated the development has become. Spending fuck tons of money to make a bad product has become the norm and I prefer not to support that with my money.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There’s only so much of the current AAA meta you can see before you finally decide to make something of a stance. For me, it was seeing just how bad games have gotten and how bloated the development has become. Spending fuck tons of money to make a bad product has become the norm and I prefer not to support that with my money.
First he took the red pill and now he’s noticing things. Is this Opposite Day? Did I hit my head really hard and am now suffering from audio-visual hallucinations? Am I dead? :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Veho and The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First he took the red pill and now he’s noticing things. Is this Opposite Day? Did I hit my head really hard and am now suffering from audio-visual hallucinations? Am I dead? :lol:
I blame Twitter and Wizard Game protest. I literally lost friends who I knew for years just for suggesting, YES, ONLY SUGGESTING, people pirate the game. It was literally that little for friends I knew for nearly a decade to decide our friendship couldn’t withstand not even a disagreement but a suggestion that wasn’t just debating with 5 talking points. I lost more friends just deciding to become a VTuber, which is astonishing. Seriously, I am the weeb. It was further broken down when I realized Communism is complete shit and trying to make Communism happen was one of the biggest contributors to me not living my own life. So yeah, I went down a rabbit hole and land somewhere between Anarchist and bipolar schizo rambler who doesn’t care to pretend I don’t have my own thoughts.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I blame Twitter and Wizard Game protest. I literally lost friends who I knew for years just for suggesting, YES, ONLY SUGGESTING, people pirate the game. It was literally that little for friends I knew for nearly a decade to decide our friendship couldn’t withstand not even a disagreement but a suggestion that wasn’t just debating with 5 talking points. I lost more friends just deciding to become a VTuber, which is astonishing. Seriously, I am the weeb. It was further broken down when I realized Communism is complete shit and trying to make Communism happen was one of the biggest contributors to me not living my own life. So yeah, I went down a rabbit hole and land somewhere between Anarchist and bipolar schizo rambler who doesn’t care to pretend I don’t have my own thoughts.
You have no idea how funny this heel turn is for me, but let’s not detract from the subject any further. :lol:

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You have no idea how funny this heel turn is for me, but let’s not detract from the subject any further. :lol:
Bet
Everything I said before still stands
Imma be real with you, I was an activist my entire life until recently and I am tired and not willing to pick up another thing to be mad about. If I find something that I don’t like, then I speak with my wallet/engagement. Being mad isn’t worth the effort anymore

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bet
Everything I said before still stands
I just find it humorous because you’re on-track to reach the stage of self-reflection and hard, introspective work. DEI policies, ESG scores and representation guidelines are a direct and expected consequence of the exact kind of politics you used to espouse. If I were a cynical man I would say something along the lines of “you voted for this”, but since I am kind, I will simply relish the irony and congratulate you on your epiphany - better late than never.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just find it humorous because you’re on-track to reach the stage of self-reflection and hard, introspective work. DEI policies, ESG scores and representation guidelines are a direct and expected consequence of the exact kind of politics you used to espouse. If I were a cynical man I would say something along the lines of “you voted for this”, but since I am kind, I will simply relish the irony and congratulate you on your epiphany - better late than never.
Ngl, I barely understand this “ESG” shit and I really don’t care to learn it. If ESG is the reason why games have gone further to shit, then I guess I should avoid games when something like Sweet Baby Inc is involved. Not because “DEI” but because every game they’ve “helped” lead to company bankruptcies and ABSOLUTE trash games that fail at even being midly fun to play or look at.

So yeah, I just won’t buy games if they aren’t worth playing. Since I don’t want to spend money to learn if a game is worth playing, I just go to piracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ngl, I barely understand this “ESG” shit and I really don’t care to learn it. If ESG is the reason why games have gone further to shit, then I guess I should avoid games when something like Sweet Baby Inc is involved. Not because “DEI” but because every game they’ve “helped” lead to company bankruptcies and ABSOLUTE trash games that fail at even being midly fun to play or look at.

So yeah, I just won’t buy games if they aren’t worth playing. Since I don’t want to spend money to learn if a game is worth playing, I just go to piracy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is it ELI5 time? The pipeline is very simple. Big business cannot exist without capital investment, and investment companies divvy up their investment with ESG scores in mind because at this stage they’ve been infiltrated by (possibly well-meaning at some point) activists. In order to obtain funding actual businesses must adhere to specific guidelines, and because the guidelines are ever-changing, they rely on consultants to score those brownie points for them and, by proxy, secure investments.

At that point it’s not even about a specific cause for anyone involved, it’s not to cater to a specific underrepresented target audience, it’s about being able to write “we hired consultants to make sure we tick all the boxes” on an application. It’s the same reason why an electrician can’t wire his own home without filling out a certification form for the installation, in spite of having all the experience in the world. No insurance company will insure a house with an uncertified electrical installation because it introduces liability - this is the media equivalent.

The unfortunate consequence of this box-ticking exercise is that people who have no business writing for games are allowed to step in and “suggest” changes to the artist’s original vision. The “suggestion” here being the very real threat of having funds withheld. It’s an intricate web of interactions between the banking sector and the business sector that came to be as a result of the current political climate.

Now, in a normal market economy keeping your wallet closed would suffice in terms of turning the tide, but that may not be as effective here because it’s a classic rock and a hard place situation. With margins being razor thin as it is a business has to make a calculated guess on what will allow it to continue operating - you buying a video game or Blackrock dumping money on them to make video games nobody wants to play. Whether you like it or not, a subset of gamers *will* play them, however reluctantly, because there’s very little else there with similar size and scope - big games take big money to make. That’s why all of this is ironic. Scorpion and the frog.

Reactions: zfreeman

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Just for the record, DEI hasn't actually harmed anything, simply because literally zero companies with that policy hired anyone under it. There have been multiple studies on the impact and not a single company could point the finger towards someone hired under the program.
They just adopted the policy and made a big stink about it for PR reasons, betting on the fact nobody would check in on it, and when they do that nobody will care if they didn't.

The real reason gaming is a dumpster fire these days is because rich corporations can only continue growing by making their product as cheap as possible and selling it for as much as possible. Thus trash gets produced, sold at a premium, and then you're expected to pay even more for it via microtransactions or a perpetual subscription of some kind.
But capitalism demands profits over everything else and thus this is what we get.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just for the record, DEI hasn't actually harmed anything, simply because literally zero companies with that policy hired anyone under it. There have been multiple studies on the impact and not a single company could point the finger towards someone hired under the program.
They just adopted the policy and made a big stink about it for PR reasons, betting on the fact nobody would check in on it, and when they do that nobody will care if they didn't.

The real reason gaming is a dumpster fire these days is because rich corporations can only continue growing by making their product as cheap as possible and selling it for as much as possible. Thus trash gets produced, sold at a premium, and then you're expected to pay even more for it via microtransactions or a perpetual subscription of some kind.
But capitalism demands profits over everything else and thus this is what we get.
You’ll have to show me those studies because apparently they don’t apply to any of the companies in the S&P100. 94% of all new job postings were filled by minority candidates. Now, call me skeptical, but that doesn’t seem like a complete coincidence. It’s great that minority candidates are getting hired, but if they’re getting hired *specifically because they’re a certain colour* then we have a word for that, and it starts with “r”. People should be hired based on how qualified they are for the job, their race should be completely irrelevant.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-black-lives-matter-equal-opportunity-corporate-diversity/

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You’ll have to show me those studies because apparently they don’t apply to any of the companies in the S&P100. 94% of all new job postings were filled by minority candidates. Now, call me skeptical, but that doesn’t seem like a complete coincidence. It’s great that minority candidates are getting hired, but if they’re getting hired *specifically because they’re a certain colour* then we have a word for that, and it starts with “r”. People should be hired based on how qualified they are for the job, their race should be completely irrelevant.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2023-black-lives-matter-equal-opportunity-corporate-diversity/
https://www.reuters.com/business/su...-disrupt-equity-diversity-efforts-2023-01-05/
https://www.customerengagementinsid...ed-big-brands-like-nike-amazon-abandoning-dei

Also even in the article you linked you gotta scroll down further, only 2% of those claimed numbers (with no published data) supposedly went to executive or managing positions, meaning the vast majority were low level employees with zero decision making capabilities beyond their own desk. The people making textures, placing trees, or fill in quest text aren't the ones making bad decisions about gameplay, how the story plays out, what mechanics make it in the game, what microtransactions are available, or whether the game will be another live service offering.
All the people at the top have been, and will very likely continue to be, predominantly white people, and they're the ones giving all the power to the sales team that push to have every big game turn into market demographics approved slop with mass appeal and nice, easy PR.
Just ask the CDPR devs how that worked out for them with CP2077, they weren't shy about it in interviews that the release date was bullshit long before it got announced publicly.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
https://www.reuters.com/business/su...-disrupt-equity-diversity-efforts-2023-01-05/
https://www.customerengagementinsid...ed-big-brands-like-nike-amazon-abandoning-dei

Also even in the article you linked you gotta scroll down further, only 2% of those claimed numbers (with no published data) supposedly went to executive or managing positions, meaning the vast majority were low level employees with zero decision making capabilities beyond their own desk. The people making textures, placing trees, or fill in quest text aren't the ones making bad decisions about gameplay, how the story plays out, what mechanics make it in the game, what microtransactions are available, or whether the game will be another live service offering.
All the people at the top have been, and will very likely continue to be, predominantly white people, and they're the ones giving all the power to the sales team that push to have every big game turn into market demographics approved slop with mass appeal and nice, easy PR.
Just ask the CDPR devs how that worked out for them with CP2077, they weren't shy about it in interviews that the release date was bullshit long before it got announced publicly.
Does it matter what positions they were? What you’re telling me is that for each 100 employees hired 94 coincidentally happened to be minorities - that’s statistically importable based on the demographics of gen pop *unless* there’s a finger on the scales, and I find that nefarious. I don’t know why you’d expect “people at the top” to be anything other than “predominantly white” in countries where the population is, you guessed it, predominantly white - that makes perfect sense.

All else being equal, racial distribution in such positions would be similar to the racial distribution in gen pop, but naturally all else is not equal on account of different interests, different educational opportunities and different levels of income in different groups of people. Some consider that to be a justification for various diversity programs or affirmative action, others see those efforts as a racist attempt to fit square pegs into round holes and would much rather see this process play out naturally. If you want some exact statistics, the BLS tracks this data.

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat11.htm

As far as the U.S. is concerned, the country’s actually *not* far off from relatively “fair” representation many of those “higher level” positions you speak of, give or take a percentage point or two. I use inverted commas here because we haven’t established that perfectly mirroring gen pop would be fair - that doesn’t take into account what different people *want* to do.

There’s a couple interesting data points in there where minorities are either extremely underrepresented or grossly over-represented. It’s always interesting to see what career paths different people pick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==