Nintendo acquires company behind Mortal Kombat 1 and Hogwarts Legacy ports on Switch, "Shiver Entertainment Inc."

nintendo+logo+title+trademark+red+wallpaper+background+game+system+console-2424472817.jpg
Nintendo is having quite the successful console generation with the Nintendo Switch, and with the follow-up to the Switch already on the horizon confirmed by Nintendo's president, it's only natural that they'd seek to maximize their profits and options for more AAA games to come to their current and next consoles, given the hardware differences between other current gen consoles and Nintendo's.

With that, Nintendo has recently made the acquisition of "Shiver Entertainment Inc.", the company behind popular Nintendo Switch ports of AAA games, such as Mortal Kombat 1 and Hogwarts Legacy, which was previously owned by Embracer. Nintendo made the announcement yesterday through their official social media accounts in different languages, with the acquisition notice being available in Japanese and English:

While the quality of said ports is questionable for many players, more so compared to their proper console and PC versions, Nintendo's acquisition of Shiver could only mean more brand-new games from current gen devices into the Switch or its successor. It's well known that Nintendo's hardware isn't always on par with the latest on the market, much less comparable with those from the other consoles, but this could help widen up the amount of available games on their systems despite that hardware disadvantage.

It's also worth mentioning that inside Nintendo's Notice of Acquisition, they specifically mention that "Shiver’s focus will remain the same, continuing commissions that port and develop software for multiple platforms including Nintendo Switch", hinting at the possibility of Nintendo allowing Shiver to continue work on ports for other consoles/PC as well, and not remain exclusive to Nintendo Switch ports, but this still remains to be confirmed.

:arrow: Source (Japanese)
:arrow: Source (English)

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The hardware disadvantage is a fact when compared to even smartphones these days.

It doesn't have anything to do with how Nintendo handles everything else outside hardware, and that same disadvantage is one of the reasons why the acquisition might have been done, so it's important to this specific topic at hand.
It has all to do with it! You can't state and mention a "disadvantage" when you can't se the complete scene. Nintendo is a console and videogame publisher, not a hardware vendor.

I see a huge flaw when people keep trying to compare apples and pears. One has a taste that the other can't even copycat.

A disadvantage is something that exists only if you don't know how to play your cards and Nintendo has been the most successfull company on this console gen.

A console is a mixture of hardware and software, and if someone plans to do the statement that Nintendo and its so called "disadvantage" has been doing things wrong, then they should consider seeing both sides of the road before crossing it, because they don't see that mixture.

There's so many proofs that having the best of hardware doesn't mean you'll be able to create the best software, i.e. PS5.

What's debatable is "what defines a good game" and that my friend, is a never ending talk.

Reactions: ChronosNotashi

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It has all to do with it! You can't state and mention a "disadvantage" when you can't se the complete scene. Nintendo is a console and videogame publisher, not a hardware vendor.

I see a huge flaw when people keep trying to compare apples and pears. One has a taste that the other can't even copycat.

A disadvantage is something that exists only if you don't know how to play your cards and Nintendo has been the most successfull company on this console gen.

A console is a mixture of hardware and software, and if someone plans to do the statement that Nintendo and its so called "disadvantage" has been doing things wrong, then they should consider seeing both sides of the road before crossing it, because they don't see that mixture.

There's so many proofs that having the best of hardware doesn't mean you'll be able to create the best software, i.e. PS5.

What's debatable is "what defines a good game" and that my friend, is a never ending talk.
It's a disadvantage when your latest device can be emulated in other current devices with even better performance. Nintendo knows this, and this is also a factor that drives away major key publishers from their current hardware, which isn't a case for multireleases in any other platforms but theirs. That's why they're making this acquisition, to try to get a market share of the bigger developers.

The rest of the "disadvantage" debate, the "bigger picture" or their own games quality is not what I referred to when I mentioned that word.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy can’t wait for them port Mario is Missing on the Super Switch 2 Attach
Im still calling it the "Swiitch " plays at a higher resolution but has even crapper storage than the og and oled switch even sony have 500gb and thats affordable so no excuse glad im going retro after the switch dies

• Wow
Reactions: Cranesbill

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: YUH