How would i go about using OAF launcher with GM9?

Materia_tofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the guide for the application itself says to set Fastboot3DS or Gm9 as your firm0.
I'm not sure what that means to be completely honest nor can i find much about it.
I heard fastboot3DS was outdated as well, so i'm not sure how to go about this with Gm9.
If anyone knows how to do this i'd appreciate the help, if not it's not a deal breaker.

K0rbo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fastboot3DS isn't outdated per se, The reason it doesn't get updates is because it doesn't really have much to update.

Materia_tofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fastboot3DS isn't outdated per se, The reason it doesn't get updates is because it doesn't really have much to update.
i forgot to mention that i did use Fastboot before and it resulted in my 3DS turning on but nothing showed up,
and i had to do the method to take out the battery and press the power button multiple times to get it back on.
and ever since then i stuck to gm9 but haven't tried the gm9 method for OAF launcher simply because the guide doesn't explain how to set it as your firm0

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set fastboot3ds or gm9 as firm0 means to install fb3ds or gm9 in the spot where b9s normally gets installed. by being installed on firm0 it means this firm is what gets run when you power on the console (normally this would be b9s which chainloads boot.firm on sd card, but by putting fb3ds or gm9 there, you'll be running them on boot instead)

you can do that in gm9 by selecting the .firm for gm9 or fb3ds on the sd card, pick firm image options, and then install firm. then you can choose to install to firm0 or firm1

I didnt think gm9 supported bootloader mode anymore though... but personally i put fastboot 3ds on firm0, and gm9 on firm1. then I can run whatever I want through fb3ds and set firm1 as one of the boot slots (to run gm9), except gm9 is always on the system regardless of the contents of my sd card, so it will always be available when I need it

Reactions: Materia_tofu

Materia_tofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
set fastboot3ds or gm9 as firm0 means to install fb3ds or gm9 in the spot where b9s normally gets installed. by being installed on firm0 it means this firm is what gets run when you power on the console (normally this would be b9s which chainloads boot.firm on sd card, but by putting fb3ds or gm9 there, you'll be running them on boot instead)

you can do that in gm9 by selecting the .firm for gm9 or fb3ds on the sd card, pick firm image options, and then install firm. then you can choose to install to firm0 or firm1

I didnt think gm9 supported bootloader mode anymore though... but personally i put fastboot 3ds on firm0, and gm9 on firm1. then I can run whatever I want through fb3ds and set firm1 as one of the boot slots (to run gm9), except gm9 is always on the system regardless of the contents of my sd card, so it will always be available when I need it
just out of curiosity, how would you uninstall the firm thats in 0 or 1, if its at all possible that is.

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just out of curiosity, how would you uninstall the firm thats in 0 or 1, if its at all possible that is.
you reinstall something else over it

firm0 and firm1 aren't just a mod thing, they're separate partitions that Nintendo themselves use. in layman's terms the official firmware just initializes what's needed for the console to boot and then load the os, without any unofficial modifications, but with b9s it became possible to replace the firmware with whatever you wanted.

I guess you could wipe firm0 and firm1, but then the console wouldn't boot anymore ;p

if you wanted to uninstall any mods and go back to clean ofw, you would have to extract /title/00040138/00000002/content/000000XX.app/exefs/.firm, and reflash that to firm0/firm1, there is a b9s uninstall script for gm9 which does that automatically I think.

technically you can leave firm1 as clean official firmware, and I think that's what most people have because they only install b9s to firm0. normally firm1 is never used, it's only there as a backup in case firm0 was corrupted, then it loads from firm1 instead (and self-corrects firm0 afterwards) but Nintendo did give us two separate partitions to work with which is nice for modding.

but that being said you can never directly boot firm1, since the bootloader stops at firm0 and never looks at firm1 unless firm0 is corrupted. if you install anything to firm1 you can only really chainload into it from something else. b9s doesnt support loading from firm1, neither does luma chainloader, and technically you can do it in gm9 by manually booting firm1.bin from the S: drive (it will complain about unsupported location, but it will work), but in fastboot3ds it's officially supported. you can select "boot from file" --> firm1: (only available in dev mode, input konami code in Credits screen) or set firm1: as one of the boot slots (once again, only available in dev mode)

Reactions: Materia_tofu

Materia_tofu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you reinstall something else over it

firm0 and firm1 aren't just a mod thing, they're separate partitions that Nintendo themselves use. in layman's terms the official firmware just initializes what's needed for the console to boot and then load the os, without any unofficial modifications, but with b9s it became possible to replace the firmware with whatever you wanted.

I guess you could wipe firm0 and firm1, but then the console wouldn't boot anymore ;p

if you wanted to uninstall any mods and go back to clean ofw, you would have to extract /title/00040138/00000002/content/000000XX.app/exefs/.firm, and reflash that to firm0/firm1, there is a b9s uninstall script for gm9 which does that automatically I think.

technically you can leave firm1 as clean official firmware, and I think that's what most people have because they only install b9s to firm0. normally firm1 is never used, it's only there as a backup in case firm0 was corrupted, then it loads from firm1 instead (and self-corrects firm0 afterwards) but Nintendo did give us two separate partitions to work with which is nice for modding.

but that being said you can never directly boot firm1, since the bootloader stops at firm0 and never looks at firm1 unless firm0 is corrupted. if you install anything to firm1 you can only really chainload into it from something else. b9s doesnt support loading from firm1, neither does luma chainloader, and technically you can do it in gm9 by manually booting firm1.bin from the S: drive (it will complain about unsupported location, but it will work), but in fastboot3ds it's officially supported. you can select "boot from file" --> firm1: (only available in dev mode, input konami code in Credits screen) or set firm1: as one of the boot slots (once again, only available in dev mode)
you're a legend thanks a ton!

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is OAF launcher, also? I assume it's something to do with open agb firm, but I wasnt able to find any info about a launcher (the only result online is this thread)

I'm interested in seeing what this guide says

lisko

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah but fcram functionality is broken on current gm9 as bootloader (since 1.8) and in general it's not advised to use it as a bootloader from the devs themselves which recommend fastboot3ds

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...