Homebrew [DS(i)/3DS] TWiLight Menu++ - GUI for DS(i) games, and DS(i) Menu replacement

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have latest Luma installed. So I can boot ditect to TWMenu?
You cant autoboot on 3ds
You can autoboot to TWLMenu++ on 3DS, actually. There is just no user-friendly way to do so yet.
I tried implementing the feature into TWLMenu++ Settings, but would just cause Luma settings to be reset, as the .ini implementation of TWLMenu++ causes the comments to be erased.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can autoboot to TWLMenu++ on 3DS, actually. There is just no user-friendly way to do so yet.
I tried implementing the feature into TWLMenu++ Settings, but would just cause Luma settings to be reset, as the .ini implementation of TWLMenu++ causes the comments to be erased.
How would you set it up manually? So that those who want it could at least have it

v27.5.0 New

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
v27.5.0

What's new?​

• You can now have TWLMenu++ autoboot on your 3DS or 2DS console, with a setting called `Set Luma Autoboot` (in the Misc settings page)!
  • Adding GBARunner3 just got easier! You no longer need to add a specific setting to `settings.ini` (which was `GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1`), and now only `GBARunner3.nds` needs to be placed in `sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/`!
  • Genesis and SNES ROMs are now visible on flashcards again!
    • If the filetype for the ROM(s) is `.md`, it'll not be visible until you set the Gen/MD emulator to PicoDriveTWL in TWLMenu++ Settings.
  • Various: Updated translations.

Bug fixes​

• @mentusfentus: Fixed cursor behavior when sorting by recently played (#2430)
  • Wood theme: Icon zoom animation has been slowed down by a frame to closely replicate the animation from the original Wood UI menu.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I dont know if this a known issue or what, but on ds classic theme, when you tap slot-1 launch or last played game at the bottom

Like on an original ds/lite, the tile flies up, but the text from the game's banner title stays in place instead of following. The icon follows the tile correctly, it's just the text that stays behind

Is that fixable? Cosmetic issue, but still

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way, I dont know if this a known issue or what, but on ds classic theme, when you tap slot-1 launch or last played game at the bottom

Like on an original ds/lite, the tile flies up, but the text from the game's banner title stays in place instead of following. The icon follows the tile correctly, it's just the text that stays behind

Is that fixable? Cosmetic issue, but still
The text is software-rendered, so there's a possibility of the text not being updated each frame.

Reactions: Tarmfot

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I have a problem where download play crashes on a data abort red screen (pictochat works fine)

I will replace my files with 27.5.0, maybe my dlplay file was corrupted somehow. But is there some config somewhere that could cause that kind of problem? (Dsi by the way)

chrisis685

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Just curious, since the GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1 is not needed anymore, do you think it would be possible to either add a menu setting to reenable GBARUNNER2 even if gbarunner3.nds is on the SD card or alternatively maybe add a per game setting to start a rom in GBARUNNER2 instead of 3 (nearly all GBA games run better in 3 these days but just for the very few where 2 runs them better this would be a very nice feature). This would make SD-card shuffling much less annyoing IMHO :)

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw I just set up slot-1 autoboot with scfg and sd access, and I don't know how you did it but you're a fucking genius. It works and does exactly what I would have wanted it to do, except so much better than I would have expected it to do

Edit: I have a problem actually... my use case is that I want to run ds stuff off flashcart kernel for perfect compatibility, and in dsi sd card I have gbarunner3, nds bootstrap for pokemon white 2 because of dsi enhanced that I cant do on flashcart, and gameyob dsi since it's better than gameyob ds

The problem: pokemon pearl does not work with this setup. If I boot my flashcart directly, no problem. If I run the game through flashcart with the scfg + autoboot setup, even running with flashcart kernel and not nds bootstrap, the game doesnt work. Half the time it loads into a white screen, other half of the time it loads the intro but whitescreen when you try to get to the title screen

Pokemon soulsilver works perfectly in the same setup. Hotel dusk also doesnt work, but last window is fine. Both pearl and hotel dusk are sdk3, soulsilver and last window are sdk4. Are sdk3 games just broken with this setup?

I have r4i gold 3ds plus, is there an incompatibility with this card? Should I find an r4(i) ultra? What makes it different, is it better/more stable than other flashcards for this?

I tried forcing ntr cpu speed and vram mode in case they were being run with twl by default, but that doesnt help

Last edited by 4d1xlaan,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I have a problem where download play crashes on a data abort red screen (pictochat works fine)

I will replace my files with 27.5.0, maybe my dlplay file was corrupted somehow. But is there some config somewhere that could cause that kind of problem? (Dsi by the way)
I don't think so.
btw I just set up slot-1 autoboot with scfg and sd access, and I don't know how you did it but you're a fucking genius. It works and does exactly what I would have wanted it to do, except so much better than I would have expected it to do

Edit: I have a problem actually... my use case is that I want to run ds stuff off flashcart kernel for perfect compatibility, and in dsi sd card I have gbarunner3, nds bootstrap for pokemon white 2 because of dsi enhanced that I cant do on flashcart, and gameyob dsi since it's better than gameyob ds

The problem: pokemon pearl does not work with this setup. If I boot my flashcart directly, no problem. If I run the game through flashcart with the scfg + autoboot setup, even running with flashcart kernel and not nds bootstrap, the game doesnt work. Half the time it loads into a white screen, other half of the time it loads the intro but whitescreen when you try to get to the title screen

Pokemon soulsilver works perfectly in the same setup. Hotel dusk also doesnt work, but last window is fine. Both pearl and hotel dusk are sdk3, soulsilver and last window are sdk4. Are sdk3 games just broken with this setup?
If the issue is happening with nds-bootstrap, then considering SDK3 games work fine on DSi/3DS SD card, I have no idea what is causing SDK3 games to not work with your setup. Also, have you tried Pokemon Platinum (which uses SDK4)?
I have r4i gold 3ds plus, is there an incompatibility with this card? Should I find an r4(i) ultra? What makes it different, is it better/more stable than other flashcards for this?
R4(i) Ultra is known to be more stable than the other flashcards. It is unknown why that is, exactly.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the issue is happening with nds-bootstrap, then considering SDK3 games work fine on DSi/3DS SD card, I have no idea what is causing SDK3 games to not work with your setup. Also, have you tried Pokemon Platinum (which uses SDK4)?
No, it's using flashcart kernel to boot, so I could get the flawless compatibility of wood kernel for ds games

As a sdk4 game, platinum works, yes

Boot with flashcart kernel with twilight menu with just flashcart itself, all games work. but slot-1 scfg access seems to break them

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: