Hacking Zipped games?

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
while waiting to get my SCLite i was messing around with the program you use to upload them to the SDCard and noticed it allows zips to be used? does this mean i can play my games zipped or does it just open them zipped but if i try to actually play them it wont work?

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Same with M3. That's the "trim" option with M3 but most games don't work with the trim mode lol. My eZflash works everytime (auto trim)...

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The trim rom option on SC cuts the ends of DS roms that are filled with blank data, as the dumps are made from fixed sized rom chips..8mb ..16 mb and so. So a 8MB rom might only have 1MB of game data(example..game and watch rom), thus the trim rom option saves 7MB. On a lot of roms this can add up to a lot of space.

I always put the option on for SC with every DS rom, I have never had one not work, and as said the EZ4 which I also have doesn't even give you the choice, it just auto chops them (good idea..I say why not).

Both the SC client and EZ4 client reads zipped files, as already said, the client upacks them before processing in you're PC's temp folder.

But the SC can store zipped up GBA roms (not DS) on the mem card (you have to use patcher 2.53 or less), this can also save loads of space but the roms can take twice as long to load up. I have most of my GBA roms on SC in their zipped format, as I don't mind waiting 10 to 20 seconds for them to load... why not use the free space.

misticknight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
oh ok i think i've got it now thanks for the help guys. i didnt know trimming DS roms was possible as i asked this before and someone said something about it not being able to like GBA roms. so much for that idea.

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never used zipped files before because I have plenty of space, but a friend
of mine uses it all the time. Although he seems to think that the extra strain
of unpacking & longer read time drains his battery a noticeable amount. Just
one thing to keep in mind.