Zipped games?

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by misticknight, Aug 15, 2006.

Aug 15, 2006

Zipped games? by misticknight at 10:41 PM (682 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    while waiting to get my SCLite i was messing around with the program you use to upload them to the SDCard and noticed it allows zips to be used? does this mean i can play my games zipped or does it just open them zipped but if i try to actually play them it wont work?

2. yumms

Member yumms GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The software extracts roms from zips then loads them in. It doesn't actaully load the zips on the memory card.

3. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Same with M3. That's the "trim" option with M3 but most games don't work with the trim mode lol. My eZflash works everytime (auto trim)...

4. meangreenie

Banned meangreenie Banned

United Kingdom
    The trim rom option on SC cuts the ends of DS roms that are filled with blank data, as the dumps are made from fixed sized rom chips..8mb ..16 mb and so. So a 8MB rom might only have 1MB of game data(example..game and watch rom), thus the trim rom option saves 7MB. On a lot of roms this can add up to a lot of space.

I always put the option on for SC with every DS rom, I have never had one not work, and as said the EZ4 which I also have doesn't even give you the choice, it just auto chops them (good idea..I say why not).

Both the SC client and EZ4 client reads zipped files, as already said, the client upacks them before processing in you're PC's temp folder.

But the SC can store zipped up GBA roms (not DS) on the mem card (you have to use patcher 2.53 or less), this can also save loads of space but the roms can take twice as long to load up. I have most of my GBA roms on SC in their zipped format, as I don't mind waiting 10 to 20 seconds for them to load... why not use the free space.

5. misticknight
    OP

Member misticknight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    oh ok i think i've got it now thanks for the help guys. i didnt know trimming DS roms was possible as i asked this before and someone said something about it not being able to like GBA roms. so much for that idea.

6. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    I never used zipped files before because I have plenty of space, but a friend
    of mine uses it all the time. Although he seems to think that the extra strain
    of unpacking & longer read time drains his battery a noticeable amount. Just
    one thing to keep in mind.