Zip or not to zip roms ??????

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by Goochee64, Nov 2, 2006.

Nov 2, 2006

Zip or not to zip roms ?????? by Goochee64 at 9:32 PM (1,086 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Goochee64
    OP

Newcomer Goochee64 Advanced Member

Australia
    HI

I have just got my M3 lite and been doing lots of reading online. Before I start loading up roms I have a few questions that I have not found answers to.

Do NDS and GBA roms need to be unzipped first? My old EZflash 1 handled zips OK.

If I unzip the roms can they be renamed to include the release number? What is the best method to do this?

Once you have converted the rom thru the Game Manager do you write the file straight to the SC card or to harddrive then copy the rom file over to the SD card via windows explorer? what method do you guys recommend?

Cheers

2. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, they need to be unzipped.

3. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    Yes, unzip the *.nds file first. the m3 manager does not like *.zip files, may work ok if the .nds file is ok in the .zip file but I have not tried that with the m3 game manager, g6 u-disk manager works like that. Yes you can rename the .nds files to whatever you want, as long as they have the .nds extension. Best method would be to use a standard AKA "release# - gamename(region).nds".....I use ndscrc renamer from advanscene to sort my roms that way and for it to rename automatically. So then you'd just basically cut and paste the zip file's file name to the .nds file and then make sure the extension is .nds. You want to write straight to SD card via the manager to make sure the save folders are created for you automatically to avoid saving problems since part of the save file (.dat) actually points to the location of the rom that it corresponds to.

4. Goochee64
    OP

Newcomer Goochee64 Advanced Member

Australia
    Thanks for the replies guys.

That has cleared a few things up.
    Might also get a copy of ndscrc and give that a go as well.

Cheers

5. peter_porker

Newcomer peter_porker Member

Canada
    I zip mine. Just make sure the only file in the zip is the nds file (no nfo, jpg, etc)

6. enoughrope

Member enoughrope GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    It has to be unzipped first, to transfer it to your card. The program may automatically do the unzipping for you. It's good to keep them zipped to save the space on your hard drive.