Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

Zero to Smashing local wireless online(ldn_mitm) guide

Discontinue/obsolete

1. This guide will not be updated and most likely obsolete.
    Use at your own risk

2. Since on the discord i keep seeing the same question and issue over and over again.. figure this guide might help set people straight how to get it setup...

Feel free to leave comments, questions, flames, and etc... i'll get back to it if i feel like it~
    **Note** Please FOLLOW THE ORDER OF THE TABS BELOW, Don't skip steps otherwise it won't work!!!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Setting up the clientSetting up the switch's network Setting up ldn_mitm(Kip/Sysmodule)Atmosphere (System Module - Recommended)
    This is the more recommended method + suppose to be more stable.
    Step 1. Download the latest ldm_mitm_v1.##.zip from [URL='https://github.com/spacemeowx2/ldn_mitm/releases'
    FAQOther notes

1. Setting up lan-play(client) on your computer
      You have a few options
      1. Run client on your computer via command lines
      2. Run client via the gui
      3. Build the client on your choice of platform
      NOTE: For mac you must run
      Code:
      /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
      to install homebrew first befor continuing

Option 1a. (Windows)Option 2b. (MacOS)Option 2Option 3a - Android PhonesOption 3b

1. Option 1. (Windows)
        Step 1. Download and install winpcap npcap (Just do yourself a favor and get winpcap.... it works a lot better... trust me..... It works a lot better in my opinion.)
        Step 2. Download the latest file at the github release page
        Step 3. Run the client as admin
        Step 4. Type in the server IP (You can find a list of public server in at the discord)
        Step 5. The next section will give you a list of interface to pick from. Pick the one that you are using to connect to the internet with (as well as the same network your switch will connect to). **See Note 1 for help** **Not required on the latest lan-play client**
        Step 6. It should split a few lines of things then at the end will say "pcap loop start" If so, you're should be good. *Move to switch setup*

2. Option 1. (MacOS)
        Step 1. Open terminal
        Step 2. Download the clinet via homebrew
        Code:
        brew install switch-lan-play
        Step 3. run the command
        Code:
        lan-play --relay-server example.server:11451

3. Option 2.
        Step 1. Download and install winpcap or the updated NpCap (But get winpcap, trust me. It tends to work better in my opinion)
        Step 2. Download your the gui - Lan Play GUI (I'm not endorsing anything, I know there are a few out there and this is the one I happen to pick to test with) and unzip it.
        Step 3. Download the latest lan-play.exe from the github and place the .exe into the same folder as your lan-play-GUI
        Step 4. Lauch lan-play-GUI (AS ADMIN)
        Step 5. Press Add New Server and add your server of your choice (You can find a list of public server in at the discord)
        Step 6. Click Connect to Server on the server you would want to join, a command prompt should pop up
        Step 7. The next section will give you a list of interface to pick from. Pick the one that you are using to connect to the internet with (as well as the same network your switch will connect to). **See Note 1 for help** **Not required on the latest lan-play client**
        Step 8. It should split a few lines of things then at the end will say "pcap loop start" If so, you're should be good. *Move to Switch setup*

4. Option 3a.
        For rooted android phones only

Step 1. First you need to download the libs and packages required to build the client. Launch termux and enter in the following
        Code:
        apt update
        apt install libpcap libuv
        pkg install cmake tsu git

Step 2. Download the git
        Code:
        git clone https://github.com/spacemeowx2/switch-lan-play.git

Step 3. Change directory into the git folder and make a build directory
        Code:
        cd switch-lan-play
        mkdir build
        cd build

Step 4. Build your client now
        Code:
        cmake ..
        make

Step 5.Your client is now built, to run it you use
        Code:
        cd src
        tsudo ./lan-play
        OR Try this method of the above does not work
        tsudo ./data/data/com.termux/files/home/switch-lan-play/build/src/lan-play

Enter in the server you want to join
        Note currently there is a bug with tsudo where it brings you to the root directory, hence you need to type the entire path to lan-play client

Step 6. Most likely the one you're going to pick will be wlan0 (unless you got some weird phone with multi wireless cards or you have a Ethernet jack on it) **Not required on the latest lan-play client**

5. Option 3b.
        For most linux/raspberry pi/macos and stuff

Step 1a. Install libpcap-dev and libuv-dev open up terminal and run (if you are on a mac, skip to Step 1b.
        Code:
         apt-get install libpcap-dev libuv-dev

Step 1b. Open up terminal and run (if you already completed step 1a, skip to step 2.)
        Code:
        brew install cmake libpcap libuv

Step 2. Download the git
        Code:
        git clone https://github.com/spacemeowx2/switch-lan-play.git

Step 3. Change directory into the git folder and make a build directory
        Code:
        cd switch-lan-play
        mkdir build
        cd build

Step 4. Build your client now
        Code:
        cmake ..
        make

Step 5. Your client is now built, to run it you use (you have to run it via sudo cause need access to the network interface card
        Code:
        sudo ./lan-play --relay-server-addr example.com:11451

Step 6. pick your interface. Typically it is gonna be eth# or wlan# depending on if you're using Ethernet or wireless **Not required on the latest lan-play client**

Congrats, you have setup your client! Now time to setup your switch!
      Also you can find a list of public servers on the discord #public-servers

2. Setup the switch's network

Step 1. Go to system settings --> Internet
      settings1.da5a208c.jpg

Step 2. Click Internet settings
      Step 2b. If you have a network setup already click that, if not read on. Click your home wireless network (preferably a 5.8ghz) and type in the wrong password. it'll give you an error but it'll let you change the settings this way
      Step 3. Click Change Settings
      Step 4. fix your password if you have to and change ip address setting to manual enter the following ip
      Code:
      IP Address Settings
      IP Address: 10.13.XX.YY
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
      Gatewway: 10.13.37.1
      Primary DNS: 163.172.141.219
      Secondary DNS: 45.248.48.62
      Where xx and yy can be anything from 0-255 EXCEPT your ip should not be 10.13.37.1
      Step 5. Press save then connect to this network
      So long as you setup your client properly (and started it first) it should connect. if so you're golden!

At this point, you can go and play any lan enabled games (modded or unmodded switches!!!)
      NOTE: Make sure you have your lan-play client open before trying to connect with your switch, otherwise it WILL NOT WORK

3. Getting Local Wireless Play via lan with the ldn_mitm (kip/sysmodule)
      As always you have several of options (Note: I am not going to cover how to install CFW onto your switch. I'm assuming you already know, if not go look for another guide to figure out how to install it then come back.)

Requirement: Download the ldn_mitm from the github
      1. Using Atmosphere
      2. Using Kosmos
      3. Using ReiNX
      4. Using SxOS

Atmosphere (Kip)Atmosphere (System Module - Recommended)KosmosReiNXSxOS

1. Atmosphere
        Note: You should be using the latest atmosphere otherwise it may cause some issues

Step 1. Download the latest kip from here
        Step 2. Open up your SDcard and go to the /atmosphere folder
        Step 3. open up the kips folder (if you don't have one, create one)
        Step 4. Drop the latest kip in there *Note Do not use
        upload_2018-12-14_22-43-26.png

Step 5. push your fusee-primary payload (This will load all your kips in the kips folder)
        Step 6. Connect to your wifi and go play some games!

2. This is the more recommended method + suppose to be more stable.
        Step 1. Download the latest ldm_mitm_v1.##.zip from here.
        Step 2. Unzip the zip file onto the root of your SD card. Select yes to replace/overwrite (it already has the correct path for atmosphere)
        Step 3. push your fusee-primary payload.
        Step 4. Connect to your wifi and go play some games!

3. Kosmos
        Step 1. Make sure you get the latest kosmos
        Step 2. Download the latest kip.
        Step 3. Place the kip in your following path in your sdcard /modules/ldm_mitm/ldm_mitm.kip
        Step 4. edit the /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini and enter this into it
        Code:
        {------ ldn_mitm+CFW -----}
        [CFW + Lan-play]
        fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
        kip1patch=nosigchk
        atmosphere=1
        logopath=bootloader/bootlogo.bmp
        kip1=/modules/ldn_mitm/ldn_mitm.kip { }
        Step 25. push hekate as your payload
        Step 36. Launch->ldn_mitm +CFW
        Step 47. Connect to your wifi and go play some games!

**yup its now 3 steps longer cause kosmos decided to remove this from their repo... blame them for making your life "harder"

4. ReiNX
        Step 1. Download the latest kip. (Note you must be on ReiNX 2.0+)
        Step 2. Open up your SD card and go to the /ReiNX/sysmodules folder
        Step 3. Drop the kip in that folder.
        Step 4. Push your reinx payload to your switch
        Step 5. Launch ReiNX Toolbox and make sure you enable the ldn_mitm.kip
        upload_2018-12-14_23-2-22.png

**Note my kips or old, ignore that**
        Step 6. Connect to your wifi and go play some games!

5. SXOS
        Step 1. Pick any of the above CFW cause SXOS doesn't support kips =/
        Step 2. Follow the steps of the CFW you picked =]
        Step 3. ???
        Step 4. Profit

Congrats, TX finally added support for it.
        Step 1. Download the latest SXOS (Beta v2.5 or later)
        Step 2. Drop the boot.dat into your sdcard from the zip file you download
        Step 3. Go into SX Menu--Options
        Step 4. Enable "Internet local wireless play"

NOTE: SXOS is using an out of date kip that is very buggy and crashes a lot, if you get an error code, restart your switch!!!

4. FAQ

Q: How do I play smash online with my banned switch?!
      A: Try reading the guide again....

Q: I'm getting a DNS resolution error when connecting my switch.
      A: 1. Did you run the client as admin/sudo?
      2. Did you select the correct interface?
      3. Turn off your VPN on your client computer, most vpn will block local traffic including your switch
      4. Re-read the guide first. make sure you didn't leave out any steps.

Q: How do I know if my kip got loaded properly or not?
      A: Two ways 1. launch into a local wireless mode, and host a game.
      Good -->
      upload_2018-12-14_23-11-50.png
      < --- Bad
      Loaded You screwed something up, reread the guide cause you missed something

Q: I installed everything properly but I still can't find any rooms even though there are x amount of people on the server
      A: Just cause there are people on the server, it doesn't mean their playing or even playing the same game as you. try going on to their discord and use the #matchmaking-bot

Q: Can I use 90dns
      A: Yes, and you should if you have an unbanned switch

Q: Does it matter if I use wifi or ethernet?
      A: Yes and no... you should use ethernet, to help lower the ping/lag if not highly suggest you use 5gz connection otherwise

Q: The client shows me 1-0 as the interface
      A: Most likely you either didn't install winpcapnpcap/lilpcap or you didn't run it as admin/sudo

Q: I get a black screen when...
      A: First suggestion, turn off your sys_ftp.kip, it crashes with atmosphere and maybe with reinx as well. second would be turn off layeredfs. I've had some issues running both of them together before Also, this is a virtual network, people can connect to your ftp pretty easily.

Q: Got an error code 2155-8007
      A: Why are you trying to connect online.... use local wireless.... IE:
      upload_2018-12-14_23-30-46.png

Q: What games can I play?
      A: Check the spreadsheet

Q: omg this {Insert game title} is lagging so hard, how is this playable?! This sucks!
      A: Well.. a. check your internet connection.. b. try playing with people within your region otherwise your ping will suck... c. connect to a server within your region.... d. Local wireless mode kinda suck... even if you're beside the person playing with legit local wireless, you still get some lag sometimes.... its pretty stupid....

Q: I downloaded my client from lan-play.com for macos and it is giving me "sudo ./lan-play-macos" but it returned "command not found"
      A: You need to change the permission to 755
      Code:
       sudo chmod 755 {file name}
      FYI if you don't know how to use terminal and move to the folder with the file, just type sudo chmod 755 {drag and drop the file into terminal, it'll auto fill the path}
      FAQ More to come~~~

Q: Will this work on my banned switch?
      A: TL;DR Yes
      Since you're not connecting to the Nintendo servers, yes it will still work.

Q: Local Wireless was working fine before but I'm getting and error when I try to use local wireless mode
      A: Well its still the early stages, and the kip is quite buggy... a simple restart of the switch should fix it. (When in doubt, restart everything!)

Q: I sure I set everything up correctly, but I can find any games even though the server says there are 30+ users!
      A: all that means is there are 30+ clients connected to the server... Doesn't actually mean there are 30+ games happening...
      -- Check this spreadsheet for more faq (Beware of trolls)

5. Note 1
      If you have no idea which interface to use the best way to figure it out is

Window 10windows via cmd

1. Right click the network icon in the task tray area and click "Open Network & Internet Settings"
        upload_2018-12-15_17-14-43.png

Click wifi/ethernet depending on which one you're using to connect to the internet
        upload_2018-12-15_17-15-34.png

For Wifi, then press the wifi name and scroll all the way down
        For ethernet press (what ever the Ethernet connection is called) and scroll all the way down

upload_2018-12-15_17-20-6.png

Look at that. For my example, pick the one that shows an ip 192.168.1.2

2. Open CMD (window key+R then type cmd)
        type ipconfig
        and you should see something similar to the following,
        upload_2018-12-15_17-24-1.png

for my case I only have one ip, connect to the one that shows 192.168.1.2 as the ip

Credits
      spacemeowx2 for building the kip and lan-play client/servers
      SciresM and his team for Atmosphere and all the NX Projects
      Rei and his team for ReiNX
      tomGer for Kosmos
      GreatWizard for http://www.lan-play.com/ (sorry also stole some pictures from your guide....)
      @Syrux#6206 for putting together the faq spreadsheet
      AveSantans for running the 90dns!
      Anybody else that I may have missed, sorry!

I'm sure there are more to add to the guide... but i'm tired... so here it is for now~ Enjoy~!

Last edited by lil-devil, , Reason: obsolete guide

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What do you do if you are running your Switch in Airplane mode, and as soon as you turn it off it's going to reconnect to your WiFi? Is there a way to remove the settings for your home wifi network to prevent it from automatically talking to Nintendo's servers?

ReikaRin

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What do you do if you are running your Switch in Airplane mode, and as soon as you turn it off it's going to reconnect to your WiFi? Is there a way to remove the settings for your home wifi network to prevent it from automatically talking to Nintendo's servers?

use 90dns and fake internet when using lan play to block talking to nintendo's server

SonyUSA

We're all mad here
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question... how the F--- does your Switch talk to your network with an invalid IP schema like that?

lil-devil

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have a question... how the F--- does your Switch talk to your network with an invalid IP schema like that?
lol it is a good question. I think it has something to do with udp broadcasting (could be wrong so don't quote me on it) hence you need the client on your computer.

Reactions: SonyUSA

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
network with an invalid IP schema like that?
depends. i play with my brother which is the same city, and i host the sever myself. i get about 100ms of delay which is pretty good imo[/QUOTE]
100ms? That's unreasonable if you're in the same city. That's insane. That's about 8 frames worth of lag, good luck with any kind of combos =\ I hope when I get around to this that it's a lot faster than that (I'm on fiber which should hopefully make a difference)

lil-devil

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
depends. i play with my brother which is the same city, and i host the sever myself. i get about 100ms of delay which is pretty good imo
100ms? That's unreasonable if you're in the same city. That's insane. That's about 8 frames worth of lag, good luck with any kind of combos =\ I hope when I get around to this that it's a lot faster than that (I'm on fiber which should hopefully make a difference)[/QUOTE]
its not the worst. its playable, but not if you wanna have any competition.
I firmly believe this is the issue of local wireless play of the game/switch itself.
I've played a few times with my brother beside each other. and once in a while we'll get a lag spike with 1v1.

Hopefully when nintendo unlocks the lan function, it'll be better.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
100ms? That's unreasonable if you're in the same city. That's insane. That's about 8 frames worth of lag, good luck with any kind of combos =\ I hope when I get around to this that it's a lot faster than that (I'm on fiber which should hopefully make a difference)
its not the worst. its playable, but not if you wanna have any competition.
I firmly believe this is the issue of local wireless play of the game/switch itself.
I've played a few times with my brother beside each other. and once in a while we'll get a lag spike with 1v1.

Hopefully when nintendo unlocks the lan function, it'll be better.[/QUOTE]
I'm used to playing fighting games where I can react to things. If I'm sitting behind a 7 or 8 frame lag wall, most of my options aren't going to come out. If I cannot be competitive, then I don't see the point.

FajitaJohn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Have been setting up the RaspberryPi for the past few hours.

First I need to point out that I've come across an issue where the "./lan-play" location was not in the "build" folder anymore, but in "./src/lan-play" - hence the "command not found" error!

Second, it's working (almost) perfectly! Thanks to anyone who contributed to this!
Only thing I need some help with is setting up my Raspberry Pi (RaspBian) to automatically run the script as soon as I plug in the (headless) Raspberry!

After some long search I've somehow put together a code which makes the script run in one single line (without the need of input for an interface!), but neither putting it into rc.local, nor into .bashrc did the trick with not having to ssh into the Pi.

Any idea how I might accomplish that?

Here is the 1-line-code I've come up with:
1 | sudo switch-lan-play/build/./src/lan-play --relay-server-addr switch.lan-play.com:11451

AkumaNoYami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
apt updat
e apt install libpcap libuv (dev dont work anymore)

and tsudo /data/data/com.termux/files/home/switch-lan-play/build/scr/lan-play
after that you need only the IP : switch.lan-play.com:11451
tutorial is outdated

Reactions: lil-devil

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
apt updat
e apt install libpcap libuv (dev dont work anymore)

and tsudo /data/data/com.termux/files/home/switch-lan-play/build/scr/lan-play
after that you need only the IP : switch.lan-play.com:11451
tutorial is outdated

does the mac version work with this now?

raulls

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
hi, am trying to build that with my android phone, but when am doing
tsudo /data/data/com.termux/files/home/switch-lan-play/build/lan-play(edited)
this step, am getting error:
enter main
/system/xbin/su: invalid option -- -

i have no idea whats happening, can you help me? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself