Gaming Zero Time Dilemma on PC can read the 3DS version's saves, but...

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I beat ZTD on the 3DS a day or two ago and decided to play around with save files, noticing that the PC & 3DS versions use the same type of save files. The catch is that trying to use saves from the 3DS will just crash upon actually trying to load them on the PC version (it'll recognise your endings and play clock just fine, however). It'd be cool if we could figure out why it crashes so one could play it on the go, and then transfer the save to the PC for big-screen action.

Edit: I tried the inverse, using a PC save on the 3DS, and it also crashed, but the load data menu did show proper progress..hmm.

Last edited by daxtsu,
Reactions: MuscleMuscleHust

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Maybe they modified the encryption of save files slightly for the PC version ?
Is the size of the files fixed (with some padding) ?
I found a script already made yesterday for the .cfsi files containing the game assets when I was investigating the file format, but I haven't looked at the save file yet.
I'm at work so I can't really check anything myself sorry :P

EDIT: When you say it uses the same file type do you just mean the extension or the file header (aka have you looked up the files in a hex editor)?

Last edited by Silverthorn,

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've been trying to migrate my 3DS save to the PC version of the game. So far, it seems the save files are similar, the PC version can detect my save from the 3DS version and even list my endings, game time and location saved, like a proper save file. However, when I try to load it, it gives me an error and the game crashes. The same happens the other way around (PC to 3DS). I've been trying to figure out the differences in the files in an Hex Editor but I haven't been succesful yet.

While checking the game's log (located in AppData/Roaming/Zero Escape/Zero Escape.log) I've identified a hexadecimal value that I could find inside the hex editor (the very first bytes):

SaveLoad:
mode(4) type(2)
R cef7d14d cef7d14d / 9785

The values after R are hexadecimal and the number after the slash is the file size.

I tried to modify those (ce7d14d) in the hex editor to the one of a valid windows save but the save file was corrupted. When I checked the log again, the second part of the hexadecimal value was still the same, while the first one was changed to the values I had input there. I tried searching for those values again inside the file but I couldn't find.

I just want to migrate my save to get the Steam Achievements, haha.

Last edited by phalk,

Guipradi

Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting thread! Anything new? I'd like to play in my 3DS on my way to work, not just on my computer when I have less time.

daxtsu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I haven't really touched it since I only got crashes when trying other platforms' saves, but I tried saves from the Vita version on PC and those just crash as well (and PC saves crash the Vita version). The games all have no trouble recognising the saves (can see endings and time spent), but yeah, they all just crash. :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: