OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
aoK2Y.png

EPIDEMIC ALERT: Japanese Adventure Game Strain Identified in North America
Thousands expected to succumb by year’s end

Regional Office of the International Disease Organization, Washington D.C. – IDO agents working in California report that preliminary findings indicate the exceedingly dangerous Japanese adventure game known as “Zennin Shiboudesu” has somehow crossed the Pacific. Attempts were made to contain it, but some carriers seem to have escaped the quarantine and are now at large.

This game is extremely virulent and can be transmitted through physical contact (via the dual “Nintendo 3DS™” and “PlayStation®Vita” retail vectors) as well as through the air (via the “PSN” vector), which has prompted the IDO to declare this a level 6 pandemic. All uninfected persons are advised to remain indoors and avoid contact with others. If you suspect you have been infected, or suspect a friend or family member of being infected, report, or have them report, to the nearest IDO quarantine facility.

Similarity to an earlier strain known as “Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors” has lead to a reclassification: Both strains will now be considered members of the “Zero Escape” game series. Exposure to North America also seems to have caused Zennin Shiboudesu to mutate, and after much deliberation it has been determined that it will be referred to in all future literature as “Virtue’s Last Reward” (see forthcoming department memo re: choice of strain name).

Virtue’s Last Reward—or, alternatively, “VLR”—has been known to exhibit the following symptoms. If you begin to display any of these, distance yourself from friends and loved ones immediately, and proceed at once to the nearest IDO center.

• Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.

• Puzzles and Story – Preliminary investigations show that this game progresses rapidly through a repeating cycle of two distinct stages, which have been termed the “Novel” and “Escape” stages. During the Novel stage, subjects find themselves engaged by a complex and mysterious story. During the Escape stage, subjects have been observed solving numerous puzzles.

• Fully-Voiced Novel Sections – One of the indicators of the Novel stage is reportedly fully-voiced dialog: All characters except for the protagonist can be heard speaking during this stage.

• Numerous Endings – VLR has been shown to exhibit numerous paths of infection, most of which are lethal. At press time, 24 different “endings” have been observed, each unique.

• Immersive Three-Dimensional Environment – Many infected patients have reported a feeling of increased immersion in their surroundings, often manifested in the ability to rotate the camera around a 3D room rendered in-game and select and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.

• Introduces New Characters, Brings Back Old Ones – Our files on 999 indicate that a number of the characters featured there appear again in VLR, although in what capacity is still unclear. This strain also introduces several new characters, all of whom merit additional investigation.

Also, 999 has been rebranded.

Regarding the series branding, "Zero Escape", both games will now be referred to as:

Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Reactions: 4 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I suppose re-branding does make sense, but I have a lingering feeling that Zero Escape is not exactly the best of titles. "The Nonary Game" would make more sense, at least to me. That said, as long as they keep the names consistent from now on, any name will do. We don't want another Final Fantasy III/VI incident. :P

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I suppose re-branding does make sense, but I have a lingering feeling that Zero Escape is not exactly the best of titles. "The Nonary Game" would make more sense as a title, at least to me. That said, as long as they keep the names consistent from now on, any name will do. We don't want another Final Fantasy III/VI incident. :P
Zero Escape is a dual meaning, as well as 善人シボウデス (Zennin Shibou desu).

'Good People Die' is only the literal translation of it and Aksys didn't want to use 'Good People Die' because it would loose that dual meaning.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I suppose re-branding does make sense, but I have a lingering feeling that Zero Escape is not exactly the best of titles. "The Nonary Game" would make more sense as a title, at least to me. That said, as long as they keep the names consistent from now on, any name will do. We don't want another Final Fantasy III/VI incident. :P
Zero Escape is a dual meaning, as well as 善人シボウデス (Zennin Shibou desu).

'Good People Die' is only the literal translation of it and Aksys didn't want to use 'Good People Die' because it would loose that dual meaning.
Clever. I get it nao, I thought they're just reffering to Zero the villian, and that'd be rather lame. :P

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any news about Good People Die Virtue's Last Reward is good in my book. It always makes my day. I love Aksys for taking a chance on this series.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean long term plans? If this sequel is even anything like the original I'll love it to death and would probably want more of.
I need to bring back my old zero avatar

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I've seen in the promo video, the Nonary game seems to have gotten even more extreme, what with the Cooperate/Betrayal system. Here's hoping the game will live up to its predecessor. :D

Byronic Hero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Related news: Good People Die AKA VLR, may already be getting a sequel

andriasang said:
Chunsoft's visual novel/adventure game Good People Die may get a sequel. Scenario writer Koutaro Uchikoshi hinted at the possibility of a sequel at Twitter earlier today, saying that based off posts on blogs and at Twitter, the game has been well received, giving him the impression that they're getting closer to making a sequel a reality.
Good People Die was released a couple of weeks back for both PlayStation Vita and 3DS. The game was developed by staff who worked on the 999 adventure game on DS and is considered a spiritual successor to that game.

http://andriasang.co...ple_die_sequel/

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the rebranding, but I'm worried about how people will refer the two games as in the future, consistency wise. I'm tempted to call the first game 999 and the second game Zero Escape 2. x_x

vallum

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
• Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.

Does only the English version have dual language support? Or the Japanese one too?

YoshiKart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does only the English version have dual language support? Or the Japanese one too?
Dual Language means "2 Languages" meaning both Japanese and English

He meant if the North American release is exclusive in having both English and Japanese. I believe so. If the Japanese version was dual language, we'd all be importing it right now (well, at least for the Vita, or Japanese 3DS owners).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Iono, I like "999" as a title. But then again, how the hell could you use that in a sequel title right?

I can't wait for this game. I swear, I'm not the biggest reader, I hate it, I don't do any of it now that I left school really, but I really loved 999 and it's story, hopefully this sequel will be just as good, just as creepy, just as mindfucked as ever.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dual-language + full voice acting mention
I wonder if that means they're dubbing it? It's kinda hard to say since they might have just been pointing out the obvious english translation of text + voice acting (but still in jap).
I'll just hope they dub it. The amount of English spoken visual novels is...
well, there are none. Not that i've seen anyway.

Either way i'll be wetting myself in anticipation for this games release.

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dual-language + full voice acting mention
I wonder if that means they're dubbing it? It's kinda hard to say since they might have just been pointing out the obvious english translation of text + voice acting (but still in jap).
I'll just hope they dub it. The amount of English spoken visual novels is...
well, there are none. Not that i've seen anyway.

Either way I'll be wetting myself in anticipation for this games release.
I remember reading somewhere that they were going to have English and Japanese subs, along with English and Japanese dubs. It sounded like you could mix and match the voices and the subtitles. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

---------------------
Also, I can't wait to buy this game. I will probably be a day 1 buyer, and get the preorder if they have one. I do hope that there will be a good preorder like the last one, that watch was really cool, and I'd like to get one for this game, as I missed the preorder for the last game, not knowing about it at the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things