Hacking Zelda Wind Waker Periodic Freeze, No Warning and Random

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I have been very happy with my setup recently and have been playing like mad the last few days... YAY! I am a MASSIVE Zelda game fan and have been having no end of issues with Wind Waker using DIOSMIOS 2.3 off a 160GB USB.

When I play for some time, usually more than an hour or so AND after any old cut-scene bam, black screen. If I had saved recently then I load it up again and no freeze at all in the same exact spot till I play for another hour or more and as soon as the next cut-scene hits then again another black screen freeze. I have used MIOSDIO2.2 and 2.3 off the same HDD and I have also used DIOSMIOSLite 2.2 off of 2 separate SD cards, one and SDHC32GB and an off brand and the other an SD2GB name brand fast as hell card and all options do exactly thee same thing!

I have used Three tools to make the GameCube ISO DM compatible and and I have used compressed as well as uncompressed with all tools to no avail. I just can't get the darn game stable! I have ripped this ISO myself and it works beautifully on Dolphin the emulator and it DID on my modded GameCube before that crapped out on me.

Wind Waker is really the only game I want to REALLY play besides Mario Kart Double Dash and that one works just great seeing and the two Zelda collections for the GameCube don't work with no disc, so Wii VC versions are fine by me :). (My Wii drive is also busted BTW)

And insight into this very odd problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Kevin

P.S. The USB I am currently using also has Wii games on it and those all work perfectly for as long at a stretch as I want. I have been playing Skyward Sword and it has run for 8 plus hours at once with noot the slightest issue as well as Twilight Princess Wii, if that helps the trouble shooting. :)

CarlosEduardoPue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
OK, so I have been very happy with my setup recently and have been playing like mad the last few days... YAY! I am a MASSIVE Zelda game fan and have been having no end of issues with Wind Waker using DIOSMIOS 2.3 off a 160GB USB.

When I play for some time, usually more than an hour or so AND after any old cut-scene bam, black screen. If I had saved recently then I load it up again and no freeze at all in the same exact spot till I play for another hour or more and as soon as the next cut-scene hits then again another black screen freeze. I have used MIOSDIO2.2 and 2.3 off the same HDD and I have also used DIOSMIOSLite 2.2 off of 2 separate SD cards, one and SDHC32GB and an off brand and the other an SD2GB name brand fast as hell card and all options do exactly thee same thing!

I have used Three tools to make the GameCube ISO DM compatible and and I have used compressed as well as uncompressed with all tools to no avail. I just can't get the darn game stable! I have ripped this ISO myself and it works beautifully on Dolphin the emulator and it DID on my modded GameCube before that crapped out on me.

Wind Waker is really the only game I want to REALLY play besides Mario Kart Double Dash and that one works just great seeing and the two Zelda collections for the GameCube don't work with no disc, so Wii VC versions are fine by me :). (My Wii drive is also busted BTW)

Thanks Kevin

P.S. The USB I am currently using also has Wii games on it and those all work perfectly for as long at a stretch as I want. I have been playing Skyward Sword and it has run for 8 plus hours at once with noot the slightest issue as well as Twilight Princess Wii, if that helps the trouble shooting. :)

Try downgrading to Dios Mios 2.0 and downgrade your USB Loader GX

I havent had a single problem with Windwaker in over 2 hours of nonstop playing... ill be right back with a link for you:)

Edit:
Assuming you know how to save games on the Flashdrive and everything here are the links i used:
USB Loader GX- http://code.google.c...e+DownloadCount
The mod for the loader - http://www.mediafire...b545893im623q25
Dios Mios- http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/
and if you dont have the other tools or dont know what to do, here's the thread i used:
http://gbatemp.net/t...-off-a-usb-hdd/
Good luck!

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks Kevin

Try downgrading to Dios Mios 2.0 and downgrade your USB Loader GX

I havent had a single problem with Windwaker in over 2 hours of nonstop playing... ill be right back with a link for you:)

Edit:
Assuming you know how to save games on the Flashdrive and everything here are the links i used:
USB Loader GX- http://code.google.c...e+DownloadCount
The mod for the loader - http://www.mediafire...b545893im623q25
Dios Mios- http://code.google.com/p/diosmios/
and if you dont have the other tools or dont know what to do, here's the thread i used:
http://gbatemp.net/t...-off-a-usb-hdd/
Good luck!
I was really hoping not to have to downgrade but at this point I guess it really is the only way right now...

BTW could I maybe install 2.0 a a different IOS slot and then use the USBLOADERGX menus to use that one? would that even work? I dodnt really know if that would mess things up

CarlosEduardoPue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I was really hoping not to have to downgrade but at this point I guess it really is the only way right now...

BTW could I maybe install 2.0 a a different IOS slot and then use the USBLOADERGX menus to use that one? would that even work? I dodnt really know if that would mess things up

No idea, you can try it, but i don't recommend it
There's not that big a difference between the versions and if you really wanna play the game smoothly with no problems i recommend just downgrading
The easiest way is downgrading, i downgraded from 2.1 to 2.0 and in my opinion 2.0 works better and has more compatibility.
Try it, if you dont like it, just go back to 2.2 or 2.1

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
A little clarification here:
The menu's for USB Loader GX do not depend on DM(L) to function so downgrading will not change that at all.

I don't recommend downgrading GX itself because once the game starts GX is completely closed down and out of memory and can't really effect how DiosMios runs.
In the case that it just didn't set things up right for DiosMios beforehand, you'd probably notice it freezing or acting weird almost right when you start the game, not a couple hours into the game.

I, personally, never actually upgraded from 2.0 in the first place and Wind Waker is working fine for me (The new features in the later versions of DM(L) added don't apply to me since I don't have a widescreen TV and I don't have any of the games it fixed things on.) so I don't see any problem with downgrading DiosMios itself. The problem will be finding a copy of the v2.0 WAD to install since they try to get rid of old downloads when the newer versions come out.
(I don't even know if I have a copy of it myself so learn from me and keep a copy around before downgrading so you can undo it if you need to later.)

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little clarification here:
The menu's for USB Loader GX do not depend on DM(L) to function so downgrading will not change that at all.

I don't recommend downgrading GX itself because once the game starts GX is completely closed down and out of memory and can't really effect how DiosMios runs.
In the case that it just didn't set things up right for DiosMios beforehand, you'd probably notice it freezing or acting weird almost right when you start the game, not a couple hours into the game.

I, personally, never actually upgraded from 2.0 in the first place and Wind Waker is working fine for me (The new features in the later versions of DM(L) added don't apply to me since I don't have a widescreen TV and I don't have any of the games it fixed things on.) so I don't see any problem with downgrading DiosMios itself. The problem will be finding a copy of the v2.0 WAD to install since they try to get rid of old downloads when the newer versions come out.
(I don't even know if I have a copy of it myself so learn from me and keep a copy around before downgrading so you can undo it if you need to later.)
I never upgraded :) I just did this whole Wii hacking thing no more than a month ago so 2.2 was the version I installed first. I do use widescreen and Supposedly a few games i do have wont work anymore if I use 2.0 so can I have both of them installed and say use IOS slot 250 instead of 249 and set one game (EG Zelda WW) to use it? of even install USBLOADERGX a second time for slot 250 and have a second install just for ZeldaWW? I think I am understanding this correctly but I dont really know how to install two IOSes in different slots, though I think I should be able to.... I think.

Thanks Kevin

P.S. I will still try to find a 2.0 WAD and test it out if I can tho.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I never upgraded :) I just did this whole Wii hacking thing no more than a month ago so 2.2 was the version I installed first. I do use widescreen and Supposedly a few games i do have wont work anymore if I use 2.0 so can I have both of them installed and say use IOS slot 250 instead of 249 and set one game (EG Zelda WW) to use it? of even install USBLOADERGX a second time for slot 250 and have a second install just for ZeldaWW? I think I am understanding this correctly but I dont really know how to install two IOSes in different slots, though I think I should be able to.... I think.

Thanks Kevin

slot 249 and 250 are what GX uses for itself and for Wii games
DiosMios goes in the MIOS slot which is what all GameCube games use.
Unfortunately, there are lots of IOS slots but only one MIOS slot so you can have only one version of either DM or DML installed at a time.

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks Kevin

slot 249 and 250 are what GX uses for itself and for Wii games
DiosMios goes in the MIOS slot which is what all GameCube games use.
Unfortunately, there are lots of IOS slots but only one MIOS slot so you can have only one version of either DM or DML installed at a time.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I'll give it a try and see. thanks, man.

CarlosEduardoPue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

Thanks Kevin

I have the 2.0 wad if you need it

cammelspit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks Kevin

Thanks again so very much... I seem to have gotten the wad but instead of loading it up I told myself I would try again. 9 yes N I N E hours later Wind Waker was still working and no more problems. I have a good theory though. My USB drive is self powered through the USB port and has a 2.5 inch drive inside the enclosure, a portable 160GB WD something. I believe that the drive was going asleep and stopping the platters from spinning at some point. I have played the game three or four more times over two hours apiece and no more crashes I have not let the system sit on pause at all, not in the slightest as a test and I seem to be more stable... I guess... I am not so sure but this is my current working hypothesis on this issue. Either that or whatever has changed (Nothing except packing the drive to the hilt with ISO images) has fixed this issue somehow or whatever was causing it in the game is no longer present I don't know but I am at least having a fun time playing the Wind Waker. IMHO the most underrated Zelda title out there.

Thanks again so very very much for all the help guys, I really mean it.

Kevin

CarlosEduardoPue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP

Thanks Kevin

Thanks again so very much... I seem to have gotten the wad but instead of loading it up I told myself I would try again. 9 yes N I N E hours later Wind Waker was still working and no more problems. I have a good theory though. My USB drive is self powered through the USB port and has a 2.5 inch drive inside the enclosure, a portable 160GB WD something. I believe that the drive was going asleep and stopping the platters from spinning at some point. I have played the game three or four more times over two hours apiece and no more crashes I have not let the system sit on pause at all, not in the slightest as a test and I seem to be more stable... I guess... I am not so sure but this is my current working hypothesis on this issue. Either that or whatever has changed (Nothing except packing the drive to the hilt with ISO images) has fixed this issue somehow or whatever was causing it in the game is no longer present I don't know but I am at least having a fun time playing the Wind Waker. IMHO the most underrated Zelda title out there.

Thanks again so very very much for all the help guys, I really mean it.

Kevin

No problem, glad to hear its working!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones...