Gaming Zelda (what next?)

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 30. Fairly new to Zelda games. Played Ocarina with a friend back in the original N64 days. It just wasn't my cup-o-tea back then. Earlier last year, I started playing Wind Waker because I got it as a free download. It looked like a beautiful game. I was hooked. I ended up beating WW and moved right into Ocarina (3DS remake). Absolutely LOVED it. I'm looking for another fix. Been looking at Twilight Princess & Skyward. Not sure which to get. I'm spoiled on the 3D versions of Zelda. Personal preference, really. I've also been looking at the DS versions - Phantom & Spirit Tracks - since those look similar to WW.

Suggestions? I'm buying the games legit. No pirating because I'm that hooked on the series. So, thanks in advance for the suggestions.

D

Deleted User

I personally didn't like the DS games.
A link Between Worlds and Twilight Princess were great and I recommend those two.
Perhaps you'll like Majora's Mask 3D if you like Ocarina of Time 3D. Although I've never tried either the original or 3D remake of Majora's Mask.

Reactions: DeezTits

_v3

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Twilight Princess is a better choice IMO, don't get me wrong Skyward Sword is good, story wise. The infuriating thing about Skyward Sword are the motion controls, I can't count how many times my hit wasn't properly​
angled to hit and it's frustrating, especially on bosses (F.U. Ghirahim). Motion Controls are fine on TP since the Nunchuck dictates how you hit.​
As far as the DS counterparts go I suggest tackling them in order of release (Phantom Hourglass -> Spirit Tracks) because Phantom Hourglass is a bit (read: "a lot") easier than Spirit Tracks but it's a good start to get used to the controls (Since you play with the stylus rather then the D-PAD).​
EDIT: Don't forget A Link Between Worlds (Majora's Mask was meh, for me atleast)​

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
+1 for link between worlds was great.

skyward sword get a lot of hate, (a lot because the unnacurate controls) but it was my favorite one and i don't find the controlls unnacurate...

the DS ones are 2D, i finished them but they are not really my favorites.. specially because the controlls... spirit tracks was more tedious than anything.. i had to use cheats to speed up the trains in order to make myself finish that game.. i really hate the train waiting...
however phantom hourglass was kinda fun...

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Twilight princess. For me, the motion controls of skyward sword didn't matter so much, but that game was too linear and had an overly cartoonish look.

Oh, and I personally really like 4 swords adventure, even though it's completely linear and has an overly cartoonish look (yes, the isometric perspective DOES makes it okay).

The DS games are very different. I didn't mind spirit tracks...until I had to go through A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER DUNGEONS just to get to the point of proceeding. Apparently, this mechanic was even worse in phantom hourglass, so...wouldn't recommend.

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read that Twilight is like a dark version of Ocarina. Thinking of going that route. Bummer about the DS games, though. I really liked WW and the cell shading.

LysergCooltyp

I don't know why the microwave burns
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't call twilight princess a dark version. Story was good, but the gameplay was meh. I would go with Majoras Mask or A Link between worlds.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm 30. Fairly new to Zelda games. Played Ocarina with a friend back in the original N64 days. It just wasn't my cup-o-tea back then. Earlier last year, I started playing Wind Waker because I got it as a free download. It looked like a beautiful game. I was hooked. I ended up beating WW and moved right into Ocarina (3DS remake). Absolutely LOVED it. I'm looking for another fix. Been looking at Twilight Princess & Skyward. Not sure which to get. I'm spoiled on the 3D versions of Zelda. Personal preference, really. I've also been looking at the DS versions - Phantom & Spirit Tracks - since those look similar to WW.

Suggestions? I'm buying the games legit. No pirating because I'm that hooked on the series. So, thanks in advance for the suggestions.
I didn't like the DS games at all, graphically they look similar to WW but they play VERY differently. They play more like a 2D Zelda with touchscreen controls. At least that's how I feel.

As for TP and Skyward Sword, they're both great games, but I liked Skyward Sword better. I would recommend getting both, but start with Skyward Sword. :)
I didn't like the wolf sections of TP that much. They just felt like a hassle. Otherwise I might put it on par with SS.
Flying around on a Loftwing in SS was just awesome.

DeezTits

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd play all, starting by the 3D ones. Since you just played OoT3D, MM3D seemes the natural pick for the next one.

Good point. Although, I've heard MM is just a complete oddball of a Zelda game. Guess it's one of those deals where I'll simply have to judge for myself. But you're right, it looks like a great game & natural progression from Ocarina.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would go Majora's Mask next. I would imagine you may appreciate it more having just gotten through OoT. It, too, is a game with a darker atmosphere to it, what with the world set to end in three days. The side-questing in it is one of the bright spots of the game and really fleshes out the characters inhabiting the world as you see how they are dealing with the pending apocalypse.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The DS games really, really suck. Seeing as you're going legit, that means there wouldn't even be a way for you to remove the ridiculously unnecessary touch screen control scheme. I vote 100% avoid on those titles. I suppose if you really wanted to, you could play one of them. They're such parallel experiences though in pretty much every way that playing both is both redundant and likely a form of torture in certain countries.

Twilight Princess: This is a good game. I had tons of fun with it when I was younger, and it is certainly a darker game largely due to the darker and more serious art style augmenting the overall tone. The dungeons are interesting, and the swordplay is some of the best in the entire series due to the moves you can learn throughout if you opt to hunt them down. This is definitely a highly recommended one, although, the Gamecube version is superior to the Wii version (the Wii version is a port), so if you have a choice of either one, definitely go Gamecube.

Skyward Sword: This game gets a resounding "meh" from me. The game is really clever and interesting at first, but everything special about it quickly becomes annoying. The motion controls are inconvenient and prove that unless you are physically there swinging the sword, the act of acting like your swinging a sword just becomes boring. As well, the experience dispenses with an over world that would at least give the impression that the game isn't ridiculously linear. Between a stunning lack of actual exploration, uninspired dungeons, a relatively empty sky, and gimmicky controls, this game that received so much praise when it came out turned out to be a turd masquerading as a diamond.

Majora's Mask: This one is definitely a bit of an oddball. Now, I recently played and completely 100%'d the 3DS version of this, and I did have a lot of fun with the game. I felt that all of the changes made this into the best version of the game, disputed only by those that didn't quite get the nostalgia feeling they wanted having played the N64 version. The thing is, this one only has four main dungeons which may throw some people off, and is largely focused on side questing. For the most part, you don't need to do the majority of the side questing to beat the game. There would certainly be inconveniences, such as if you only had two bottles by the third area, or only six hearts by the time you were facing the boss in the second area, but these can be worked with if a player is dedicated enough. Other than that, you have to get used to a lot of time management, and you may even find yourself resorting to a guide to figure out how to manage some of the trickier and far less obvious side quests. The improved notebook in this version of the game makes it a lot easier to side quest than in the last, as combined with the hints you can get, most stuff is fairly easy to solve without any aid. The one exception I can think of is trying to do the lengthiest and most involved side quest that actually has two outcomes. Anyways, back on point, this game is one you have to experience to decide how you feel about it. I spent about as long on it as any other Zelda game with doing all of the side questing, but it also has the potential to be a very short experience. Keep that in mind with the $40 price tag on this version of the game.

Minish Cap: This is the GBA Zelda game, and it certainly holds its own. It plays much like the older Zelda games such as A Link to the Past, but it isn't as punishing which makes it a better introduction to the 2D Zelda titles than most of them. It is still a reasonably long adventure despite being tailored to a handheld over a decade old, and once I really sat down and gave the game a go, it managed to rank among some of my favorite Zelda titles.

A Link to the Past: Considered to be one of the best Zelda games of all time, I really don't recommend it if you aren't used to the difficulty of older games. This game will not hold your hand, and it is crushingly difficult compared to the 3D Zelda titles. With that said, once you spend a little time with it, you get used to the game and will become more able. Even then, I have to admit that I haven't beaten this one. I reached the final dungeon and just couldn't get to the final boss. I tried and tried but I simply couldn't safely navigate the final dungeon. Maybe I just suck at the game, and I'm fully willing to accept that. At the same time, the rest of what I said holds true in that as far as 2D Zelda experiences go, this has the potential to be the most fun and one of the most difficult except perhaps for Zelda 2 which is an entirely different beast.

Oracle of Seasons/Ages: A two game set with two Zelda adventures focused around different aspects of the Zelda experience. These came out for the GBC, but to this day, they remain some of the best handheld Zelda and some top tier 2D Zelda. It doesn't really matter much which you choose to play first, but they are both part of one complete experience, so they are generally played back to back as if they were a single game. If you try and like Minish Cap, odds are that these games will be up your alley despite obviously being older.

Link's Awakening: The oldest of the handheld Zelda games with the DX version for color, this is still a pretty good experience. Obviously it is 2D, and at times it can be a tiny bit confusing as it doesn't direct you quite as well as Zelda titles from the SNES era forward. It has aged relatively well and still holds up as an enjoyable experience to new and old gamers alike. It may be a little hard to get into since it does have an older feel to it, a bit of a feeling of age that can't really be escaped, but it's still a lot of fun.

That about covers my experience with Zelda games. Seeing as you like the 3D Zelda games, I recommend Twilight Princess next. If you want a change of pace and are willing to try 2D Zelda, I recommend starting with Minish Cap since it is probably the least punishing while still being fun of the various 2D Zelda experiences. If you happen to enjoy Minish Cap, then I say just take the rest in whatever order you see fit. I can't comment on the rest of the Zelda games out there, as either I haven't played them, or you already played them (WW and OoT).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1