Zelda TP: Transfering saves between GCN and Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by retrospect, May 24, 2008.

May 24, 2008
  1. retrospect
    OP

Member retrospect GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I could speculate about why I think this is possible, or why it might not be but, well, I don't know.

If it were possible it seems it would be necessary to decrypt and translate the save format from one to the other. The save is only a few kBs so I expect the translation could be done manually IF the saves could be read as plain text.

I'd be interested to hear back from someone who has knowledge of the formats used by each system, although I'll probably get:

"No you can't"
    "They're different formats"
    "Why would you want to"

...but hopefully not!

Thanks

2. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    that would require a basic knowledge of the gamecube save format and the wii save format and a way to open and convert both, then knowledge of the difference between the two within the same game, just for this one game. So don't think you should wait for this [​IMG]

3. retrospect
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hehe. Yep, that's what it needs! But I figured all of those things might be known separately, and someone who knows might be really really bored this afternoon and want to write all about it. Maybe [​IMG]

4. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    Haven't seen both saves. Could it maybe be be that they have just console-specific containers and each console has a different interpreter?

5. retrospect
    OP

United Kingdom
    That does seem likely. Can anyone upload a Gamecube save?

6. suloku

Member suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Spain
    It may requiere to be exact savegames, the savegame created when you run the wii/gc game for first time may be the best save to compare on both sides. It's almost sure you may find the same exact data on the GC savegame as in an extracted zelda tp savegame with savegame extractor by waninkoko, then it may be only a matter of changin the data via hex edicion.

That's of course if nintendo didn't change the actual data being saved, wich i really doubt it did.

7. retrospect
    OP

United Kingdom
    Speaking of which, will the Twilight Hack work with the GameCube version of the game?

8. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    no, once the wii is in gamecube mode it cannot exit it without a reboot. it cannot access the wii's "harddrive" etc.