1. HelpTheWretched

    OP HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Country:
    Canada
    I've been editing Zelda: Tri Force Heroes by patching out certain audio to achieve different effects, and for the next step I wanted to edit out all audio except the "8-bit" sounds. For this, I've located every non-8-bit BCWAV in the game's BCSAR archive and every non-8-bit BCSTM in the Stream folder, and silenced them by zeroing the entire files below the DATA header. I've done this for both the game CIA and the DLC/update CIA.

    No problems with the previous edits, but this time, a handful of the sounds that should have been silenced in the BCSARs are still playing in the game! They're mainly some voices and background noises like wind, fire, water, etc.. Also, they tend to start at a lower volume and quickly fade-in to full volume.

    This leads me to think certain sounds are stored somewhere else in the RomFS and the game's playing them from this other location, but I can't find them anywhere. Any ideas what's going on?

    I don't know much about environment/NPC models (the game uses BCH), but is it possible they're embedded in there?
     
  2. HelpTheWretched

    OP HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Country:
    Canada
    Friendly li'l *bump* since it's been a few weeks.

    I have another topic with 0 replies, I'll hold off on bumping it, but check it from my profile if you want.
     
  3. The Real Jdbye

    The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08
    Member

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2010
    Messages:
    20,925
    Country:
    Norway
    Do you have the update installed? Maybe they're stored in the update data?
     
  4. DarkSynopsis

    DarkSynopsis GBAtemp Fan
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Messages:
    482
    Country:
    New Zealand
    I don't believe sound files can be held in .bch, I have no experience with Tri-Force/BCSAR all I can put forward is what method are using when replacing the files? are you using a NTR LayeredFS? I've had a few cases in the past where LayeredFS would not load my modified files, can't recall the exact situation, feel like just restarting NTR did the trick another time.

    I can't imagine they are storing the sounds multiple times.

    As for your other topic, have you tried various versions of Ohana3DS? it was a nightmare messing with textures when it came to Dragon Quest 8 .bch files, maybe try an older version (pre rebirth) if you can't find one that does the trick I've no suggestions, I've not seen any updates to Ohana3DS in months, there is a python script bch2png but it doesn't seem to work on the files I still have from DQ8, don't have any other .bch files sitting on my HDD to test
     
    Last edited by DarkSynopsis, Mar 25, 2017
  5. HelpTheWretched

    OP HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Country:
    Canada
    Thanks for the reply!

    I'm not entirely sure what NTR or LayeredFS are, but basically I'm extracting/rebuilding the .cia of both the game itself and the V2.1 update. Those .cia's have slightly different audio archives (the update adds a few additional voices) but they're both getting mostly silenced just the same. Then I re-encrypt them both and install them with FBI. It sounds like this NTR thing could be the key, but I'm still a noob when it comes to hardware/firmware stuff. :(

    About the other topic: I've tried a few versions of Ohana3DS, to no success. I'll try that Python script; other than that, my new theory is that the textures are actually ETC1 encoded, not ETC1A4. A few of the .bch models have separate alpha textures, which wouldn't be necessary with ETC1A4. If the Python script doesn't do the trick, I may be able to extract them with a hex editor (and a bit of studying the ETC1 structure so that I know WTF to edit).
     
  6. HelpTheWretched

    OP HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Country:
    Canada
    ARGH, had to install PIL, but it wouldn't detect Python in my registry, so I used Pillow instead, but had to install Pip first since Pillow was a wheel... Finally got all that, and bch2png throws a "list index out of range" error. :rofl:
     
  7. HelpTheWretched

    OP HelpTheWretched GBAtemp Regular
    Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Country:
    Canada
    I figured out the error was referring to arguments of the Python script... silly me. But even with the arguments, it's not producing anything; not even printing any text. I was using Smealum's script at https://gist.github.com/smealum/9394125

    Elsewhere, I found an executable bch2png, but it doesn't support various mip-map levels, and the .pngs it produces have the same transparency errors.

    Anyway if somebody knows where I could get some ETC1-encoded images, that'd be great. All I can find is discussions of them, and converters for platforms I can't use. :/
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Patched, playing, [Zelda