Zelda Spirit Tracks really not that good

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by alucard77, Jan 7, 2010.

Jan 7, 2010
  1. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I decided to wait till the new year to play Spirit Tracks since I knew I would have more time to devote to it. So I played for like 3 hours yesterday. I have to say that my initial reaction to the game was not good.

I was really excited about the game at first which may have been a mistake. Here are the problems I have with the game:

1- I haven't played Phantom Hour Glass in a long time, but I don't remember that game being as Childish as this game. This games seems like it was more intended for a 7 year old, then for all ages. Not all aspects of the game, but definately the script of the game. It seems that most cut scenes have some dumb misguided childish moment in it.

2- I have a huge problem with Zelda. If I knew she was going to be this annoying I would have never resecued her over 20 years ago on the NES system. I would have let her die and the world be taken over by darkness. It would have been better then seeing her get freaked out by Mice, freaking out because some one was going to wear her body, and just bitching all the time.

3- The whole Spirit Tracks concept is weak. The reason why Phantom Hour Glass worked for me, is because it was still cool to explore the ocean, in it's vastness. Rail Road tracks are a 1 way type of thing. You stay on the tracks and look around. I'm sorry, not my idea of exploration. Also, the whole blowing your whistle to scare the animals attacking your train, is well, retarded. Not to mention, I don't see the point of having to sit and watch the train move. It just adds to the game play time with uselessness.

4- The spirit flute is also annoying. I am sorry, I play this game ironically enough on my train to work. I don't need the guy next to me looking at me blowing into my micro thinking what the hell is this idiot doing. Not to mention that the microphone picks up on loud noises, so it blows false notes. Also, I am not playing freaking Rock Band, I don't want to listen for the timing of the music, and play the notes accordingly. In Ocrania of time, you played the ocrania with the right notes and wala, it played. Nothing like your timing is off. Go screw yourself with the timing. I can get the freaking timing, but stop blowing false notes because of ambient noise.

Now, I will most likely beat this game as I try to beat all the zelda games I can, so I may end up liking it. But for 3 hours in, this is how I feel. Definately don't feel as good about this as about Phantom Hourglass. Hopefully that opinion eventually changes. What are your guys feelings.

2. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    for me, the flute is the most annoying part of the game as you stated, but the game so far is keeping my attention

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

You should make train noises while playing it on the way to work!

I agree with everything you said m8 [​IMG] I really don't see why it was so hyped up imo.

4. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    It's the first game I've bought in 2 years (yay for piracy) and I must say I feel it was worth my money, and it was definitely better than phantom hourglass.

5. qdog82

Member qdog82 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Its a really good game, dont agree with any arguments you made

6. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    Good post, and to some extent I agree from what I played so far.

I have further gripes though.

The switching characters in the heat of the moment. It is sometimes wrestle with the stylus as it keeps switching back to Link if you don't tap the stylus exactly on the Phantom pointer.

Would have liked that you could control the Phantom the same way you control Link, as it slows down gameplay waiting for it to reach it's guided target.

The travelling on the rails is boring, and takes too long to travel to each destination

I would have liked a quick save in the temples rather than starting at the beginning if I've had enough of playing.

The selected item circle (mostly the whip) can tend (not always) get in the way of the place you need to tap.

Controls are a little too sensitive.

I will finish it though - but I know it won't be in my top 5 Zeldas.

7. PuyoDead

Member PuyoDead Hey! Hey! Oh!

United States
    My biggest issue with Spirit Tracks is the absolutely lack of an overworld. That's always been a defining feature of the Zelda series. Even Phantom Hourglass has an overworld, although a fairly limited one. Spirit Tracks on the other hand, does not. You have paths from one place to another. There is so sense of exploration, no sense of going out and hunting down heart containers, extra items, etc. This really just does not make it feel like a true Zelda game to me. It cheapens it for me, I suppose.

8. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yeah, good point about controlling the phantoms. I agree with you.

Also, if you like the game, feel free to post your reasons. This is not bash thread.

Someone does have to agree though that Zelda is wayyyy to annoying to save.

PuyoDead,

You know what, I was thinking how this didn't feel like a real Zelda game. I think you nailed it on the head.

9. megabug7

United Kingdom
    I'd like the next Zelda to go back to its top down roots.

10. jerbz

Member jerbz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    my gf is playing this game
    she said shes been having issues with the flute
    but its her fault.
    lol

she likes it though and shes an avid zelda fan.

11. Skyline969

Member Skyline969 MENUdo Afficionado

Canada
    Or the full-3D, non-stylus controlled roots. KH:358/2 Days proved that the DS is capable of full, sexy 3D.

12. ShinRyouma

Member ShinRyouma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    I like Spirit Tracks better than Phantom Hourglass (it's a matter of taste I guess).
    It's true that Zelda is annoying (freak out by mice & someone is going to use her body), but it's funny and entertaining, the reaction is natural to almost every girl/woman.
    Changing train model is good (you won't get bored), can you change ship model in PH?
    In my opinion, you shouldn't play games which need to blow/talk into the mike in a public area, it's embarassing. So it's not Spirit Tracks' fault if you have to blow into the mike, nintendo just maximizing the nds features.
    Well, it's all just a matter of taste, enjoy the game [​IMG]

13. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    I find at Spirit Tracks is generally better than Phantom Hourglass, but neither has the feeling of exploration that you have in, say, Minish Cap.

And yes, you can customize the ship in PH.

14. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    This is actually the only DS game I've brought since getting my DS.

15. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    So, basically, you didn't like the game because it was a bit hard for you? I have to admit...the Flute Parts ARE annoying, but there's actually a good way to pass that part.

16. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    i tottally agree, phantom hour glass was better, i like open see. and i think the flut isfucking horrible

17. sentinel5000

Member sentinel5000 GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    You really have not gotten to the sand temple nor the highest floors on the tower have you...

18. Zaraf

Member Zaraf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    The flute parts are very easy. Just keep blowing. You don't need to use separate blows for each note.

Personally, I find the whole driving the train thing extremely boring. Especially when I have to make long detours. For me, this game is just wanting to get to the next dungeon and figure out the puzzles. I would be much more satisfied with this game if the whole train aspect could be made optional (like a skip ahead to destination type of thing).

I got to the point where you reach a bridge which is out and you need to get the bridge builder to fix it. I stopped playing that day, and it's been about 3 weeks now and I haven't felt like picking it up cause of that stupid train ride -_-

19. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    I know what you mean, I stopped at that bit for a couple of days before playing again, almost didn't. In all though, as long as there's something to shoot, the train parts are reasonably tolerable.
    I just wish they'd bring back the Overworld properly, instead of these vehicles.

20. megabug7

United Kingdom
    Just because it's a feature it doesn't mean they have to utilize it with every game.

i.e. NSMBWii -- shaking the Wiimote to lift enemies etc. Why? It's too easy to drop items etc. unintentionally now.

I do like the Spirit Pipes, but it's a little cramped with your face, the stylus, blowing (you have to be quite close -- or blow harder and risk running out of breath), and trying to see the screen aswell. [​IMG]