Hacking Zelda Spirit Tracks can't save

ceril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just found too after an hour of playing, saved went back to play and saved game was gone
hate2.gif

Sgt KrinkleToes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that Zelda needs a larger save file than most games. I have been able to get around this by using a save file created on an emulator and then transferring that over to the Edge card. You only need to do this once although I have yet to try making a new character on the second save slot. This workaround will have to do until Edge gets around to creating a new firmware update. I raged so hard when I saw the update came out on 12/2/09 knowing full well that Zelda would require an update to work right.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
So Zelda uses a save file of a size our cards don't currently fully support? OK. So if I start the game off on an emulator then transfer the .sav to my memory card, my Cyclo DS Evo 1.56b3 can overwrite the file and save normally, but cannot create new save data? I'd rather avoid using RTS, those things take up like 6mb a throw and I can't even remember which button I'm supposed to hold down to create them. I think it's Select but I've not used the RTS feature in about a year.

ceril

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SWEET! thx for the info went and d/l DeSmuME loaded the unpatched game because i couldnt get past the cracked screen for the patched version. started a game and saved it then renamed the save to the same as the patched game and it works..

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Tried renaming my old save file but to no avail. Guess I'll just stick to RTS mode until a better solution reveals itself. I suppose I can't complain. True, the RTS file is about 5mb, but since the crack reduces the game from 128 to 88mb, I'm still ok for space. Besides, if I'm realy short on space I could always delete the 1.8GB of movies stored on my card.

Sgt KrinkleToes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In order to create a working save file you must run the vanilla ROM on an emulator. You then save the game using the emulator. This save file must be renamed to use the save extension filetype for your card (on Edge it is .sav). This save file can be used with either the vanilla ROM or the xenophobia patched ROM but the save file must have the same file name as the ROM you wish to run. The resulting save file will be approximately 900k. Up until now all save files on the Edge have been 512k. Edge tries to build the save into the 512k limit and this is what causes the save to corrupt itself. If you check your data files after creating a new save you will see that Zelda does not delete your save file (it can't do this), the corrupted save file remains on the microsd as a 512k file.

I don't know about the status of any other cards (why you are even in the Edge forums is beyond me). Your card may not be able to read the larger save file and if that is the case you'll have to wait for a firmware fix.

bejiman

Trophies
XP
Country
Lu240894 said:
:yayds: Using the Desmume and changing the name worked. Vlw

Use Desmume to create a save file, convert it to EDGE format and copied the .sav file to your card, is this what you did?

I tried doing that process with nocash and it failed.

Sgt KrinkleToes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inferleon said:
okay so basically you need the xpa patch and the emulators save file to make it save?

Or do you just need the xpa patch?

Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking if you can't figure it out. I've made two posts detailing exactly how to get Zelda Spirit Tracks to save using an Edge card. If you can't be bothered to read, perhaps you should just try it out for yourself.

inferleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sgt KrinkleToes said:
inferleon said:
okay so basically you need the xpa patch and the emulators save file to make it save?

Or do you just need the xpa patch?

Your reading comprehension skills are severely lacking if you can't figure it out. I've made two posts detailing exactly how to get Zelda Spirit Tracks to save using an Edge card. If you can't be bothered to read, perhaps you should just try it out for yourself.

okay ill try it myself. but before you post think how i would feel about it. i mean you dont need to be mean and hurt others. and forgive me if my reading comprehension sucks. you dont need to hurt people's feelings.
cry.gif

inferleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ceril said:
Here is the save file fom the emu
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJ9Z1M2M
get this, then rename it to (gamename.sav)
so if the game file on your sd card is patchedzelda.nds
you rename the save file to patchedzelda.sav
delete or overwrite your old .sav file

Well, actually i knew everything i just want to make sure.
laugh.gif

i'm not as noobish as you think
yay.gif

but by the way thanks for the information you gave me.
bow.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.