Zelda Skyward Sword crashes after obtaining the Triforce.

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by random_human_being_, Oct 23, 2016.

1. random_human_being_
    OP

random_human_being_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I've already tried twice, and every time the game crashes at exactly the same point. To be more precise, it crashes during the black frame at 2:54 of this video (major spoilers, of course).

I'm playing the NTSC version on a PAL Wii and have used the Save Update Channel earlier in the playthrough; I got the ISO from a place that rimes with "damnation".

Syscheck
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by random_human_being_, Oct 28, 2016

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    It could be a bad ISO.
    it could be because you used a wrong program (WBFS manager?)
    it could be the IOS base you are using.
    it could be because you messed with your savegame

without more information on what you have or did, we can't properly help you.

random_human_being_ likes this.
  3. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I'm using IOS 249; I don't remember what I installed there exactly, but I had followed the complete softmod guide when setting everything up, so I assume it should be "cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta53-alt". I'll post a syscheck as soon as I can use my Wii.

I'm using the latest 64 bit build of Wii Backup Manager, which I also used to verify the ISO (everything seemed legit).

I really, really hope it has nothing to do with fixing the save file, but the only thing I did was changing the region code (SOUP instead of SOUE); at least if I messed something up the Save Channel Update didn't notice anything. Could there be any reason for a game to crash during a cutscene if there is an issue with the savefile? I've played for 4-5 hours after fixing the save and didn't notice any different issue.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if it's v8 or v10 base 56, it should be fine for that game.

Wii backup Manager is fine too.
    if you verified to ISO, then it's good.
    did you verify your ISO on the drive? or the ISO you have on your computer?

if you changed only the gameID, you should be fine with your save file. Like you said, during a cutscene it should be unrelated.
    That game had an issue with savegame, nintendo released a savegame fixer, but it's a bug in a cave (if you saved in there, you couldn't exit).

Maybe the drive is the issue, like sleep mode enabled ? it can be an issue during long cutscene. d2x should have an anti-sleep function, but some drives seems to still be affected.

You can try to reinstall d2x too, instead of r53, choose r52. some games have issues with r53
    be sure you connect the drive on USB Port0 (top back on WiiU, Bottom on Wii).

random_human_being_ likes this.
  5. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I verified the ISO (well, the WBFS actually) after it was already on the external HDD.

I thought the only game-breaking bug the game has was the Hero's Song glitch (i.e. the one where the volcano doesn't erupt), which was the one that affected my playthrough; I guess the game has more issues than I thought.

Done. Actually I'm using both USB ports, since my HDD case also uses a second USB port as a power supply (this one is plugged on the Wii's top USB port, though).

I do sometimes have issues with sleep mode: when exiting a game the HDD switches off and occasionally doesn't turn back on, however there is a LED on its side which indicates its activity, and it stays on during that cutscene (even after the crash). Anyway, as soon as I can I'll try loading the game from a pendrive, should the HDD be the culprit.

Since I remember following the softmod guide I probably have cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52 on slot 250; I'll try with that and update this post.

Last edited by random_human_being_, Oct 25, 2016
    Cyan likes this.
  6. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    It's because you are not the Hero chosen by the Goddess.
    You are not worthy of the Triforce.

7. Naugh

Naugh Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2009
    Canada
    Québec, Canada
    Do you use FAT32, NTFS or EXT4 for your game partition? Sometimes splitting a game into two for a FAT32 partition cause issues.

But it's probably a drive or a cios issue if your image file isn't corrupted.

Last edited by Naugh, Oct 26, 2016
  8. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    It is not the splitting that causes issues. Fragmentation is.
    IIRC ULGX supports up to 20 fragments

9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I didn't know there were a fixed fragment number for compatibility.
    I'm wondering if it's a USBGX or a cIOS limitation.
    I never checked the wbfs code in the loader.

10. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I'm using a 500GB HDD with a single FAT32 partition (64kb cluster size). It honestly never occurred me that I should defragment it (I've been using it for little more than a month), will the Windows utility (and/or whatever its Linux equivalent is) do the job?

11. tswntk

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    Don't know where I found that piece of info but its in my mind for a long long time though that might be 20 or 22 fragments.
    Try Defraggler, it can show you the fragmentation level of individual files and then defrag only the files you choose.

12. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I've just downloaded it, I'll try it on my HDD in a couple of day and update this post. If I got this right, any number of fragments lower than 20 should give no problem, correct?

13. tswntk

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    while you are at it, if the game is more than a few fragments, just defrag it.
    It wouldn't take long to defrag a single file.

I completed Skyward sword pal on my NTSC console long time ago. But honest speaking, if you run into problems, try to find a copy that is the same region as your console. Some games just don't like out of region consoles but those usually won't boot at all. Messing with save files is never a good idea considering it is not that hard to find a game.

Verifying a game with Wii Backup Manager is just a way to increase your confidence level with the iso but it is not absolute.

14. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Apparently it's not the HDD's fault: I tried using an 8 GB pendrive (just formatted as FAT32, 64K cluster size), but the games still freezes at the exact same point.

Also, if I switch IOS to 250 I just get a black screen after the "point at the screen and press A" part of the initial calibration (I'm posting a syscheck in a few hours, meanwhile you can safely assume that I have the cIOSs mentioned above).

I'm going to try converting my savefile to PAL and use the PAL version, of which I already have an ISO.

By the way, the PAL ISO seems to have a much lower framerate than the NTSC one; that's not normal, is it? I verified the ISO, which had been uploaded by one of these guys.

15. rasputin

rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 7, 2008
    United States
    Swap usb ports

16. Naugh

Naugh Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2009
    Canada
    Québec, Canada
    The only issue I had with Skyward Sword was when enabling savegame nand emulation inside the Usb loader. (After a short while the Wii resets, Metroid Prime Trilogy does it too)
    Interestingly enough it works fine on the real nand or a neek2o nand.

17. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    I've added a syscheck to my first post; any cIOS other than those on 249 and 250 was installed by the previous owner.

18. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    @random_human_being_
    send me the ntsc save i will try to see if the same issue happens
    i also have a pal console
    i played the game in pal before (which i noticed the framerate being a bit slow, but i didn't thought that it was from the pal release, i thought it was done that way)

19. random_human_being_
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2016
    Italy
    Here you go. I extraced the savefile with Waninkoko's Savegame manager; it should leave you in the last dungeon: go north, then west and you should be at the room with the last fragment of the Triforce (the shortcut door is unlocked).

20. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    heh, i am trying to downlad the iso, with all torrent sites being taken down its kinda hard :(
    currently i am waiting for the download of that nation websites
    when i can test it i will post about my experience