Gaming Zelda - Phantom Hourglass FAQ

troa11

Older Than You
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Purpose - The purpose of this FAQ is not to provide a comprehensive How-to FAQ for the puzzles of Phantom Hourglass. Someone else can do that. What this is meant to do is help those of us who don't speak Japanese overcome the language barrier. To that end, the questions that I will post in here will be ones that you would need to understand what people are saying to know the answer. This also means that if possible, I will only post a hint to get you going in the correct direction instead of just an answer, to supplement what the game would give you if you could read it. I feel this is the best way to allow us all to play the game now and get around the language barrier without ruining the joy of solving puzzles and challenges on our own. Also thank you to everyone who has contributed, it's either too difficult or I'm too lazy to list you all here, but you know who you are.

As far as I'm concerned, this guide is finished. There is enough information here to get you through the main game to the end, assuming you can solve standard Zelda puzzles on your own. I may add some more stuff to help with side-quests, but right now that seems like more effort than its worth.

Each dungeon mark starts with the dungeon proper and then anything afterward until you get to and physically enter the next one. There may not even be questions about the dungeon itself, but that's how I'm doing it.

Lastly, the questions themselves will have some degree of story spoilers. Don't read ahead then.

Q - How do I save?

A - Press Start. The choices are "continue" on top or "save" on bottom. After that, the next question is asking if you want to save. Top is yes, bottom is no. Last question asks if you're done playing. Top answer returns to the title screen, bottom returns to the game.

You can also press Left or Y to open the left menu and press the first button on the left of the menu strip. Choose the first option and the game will save and return to play.

Q - I can't move on! What do I do?

A - If the question isn't covered below then one of the following may be true. You may need an item you don't have yet. Visit places you haven't gone to yet. Return to places you couldn't progress any further before. You may need to trigger a different event before you can move on. Talk to everyone and every stone. After you've talked to everyone in a place, talk to them again. Or a Zelda puzzle may be getting the best of you. Search the pages to see if someone else had the same problem.

Opening

Q - How do I get through the door in the first cave by the old guy's house?

You need to speak to the old man at least twice before you are able to write on the sign next to the door. In between those two times you need to visit the path to the north to see that you need a sword to progress. After speaking to him again, you will be able to write on the sign in the cave - scrawl a "7" on the sign to open the door.

Q - What order do I pull the four switches in the second cave?

2, 1, 4, 3

Q - Why can't I go north from the south east part of the first island?

You need to be better protected. Why don't you look around town for something that will do that? You also need a reason to go there, talk to the man by the boat to discover the captain is missing. Talk around town to find information on where he might be.

Q - How do I get out of the room with the locked-up lady on the volcano island?

While standing in front of the map next to the door, blow on the microphone. After the cutscene you will be able to mark on the map where there are torches on the island. Get them all right and the door will open.

1st Dungeon - Volcano

Q - Where do I go after the first dungeon?

The game is centered around the dungeon on the island you start from. Finishing each other dungeon will allow you to progress further into it. You should return there.

Q - I have the Phantom Hourglass, now what?

You're not done where you're at. Try to progress further.

Q - What do I do to the second sea chart?

It's very dusty, see if you can blow that dust off.

Q - How do I attach/use the cannon?

It's automatically attached. Just tap the screen anywhere while you're sailing to fire off a round. There appears to be no ammo limit.

Q - Why won't the lady let me into the cave behind her house on the southwestern-most island?

Remember, if mom says no, ask dad. Go into the house and speak to the man there, the next time she should let you through. This may not work if you haven't tracked the ghost ship north yet.

Q - How do I get through the fog?

On the island where you get the shovel, draw a line through the three rocks on your map. Along that line, dig under a palm tree. The rest should explain itself.

Q - What order do I hit the gossip stones to get in the cave on the island shaped like a whale?

Center, Tail, Spray, Fin, Eye.

Q - What do I do with the chalkboard the frog gives me?

If you shoot down and talk to the gold frogs across the ocean, they will hold up a sign. Draw their symbol on the chalkboard (it's under the left bottom menu) to warp directly there.

2nd Dungeon - Wind

Q - What do I draw on the red door in the hourglass dungeon after the 2nd (wind) dungeon?

You need to draw a pattern in the order that the stone markers on that floor tell you. The upper left is the starting point. The ones in the middle on either side just give you information. The other 3 corners each have numbers in the text if you read them. Draw a shape connecting the dots in the order you're told, returning to the start at the end to open the door.

Q - What do I do at the green orb mark on my map?

You'll need a new boat tool. Head back to where you got your last one and see if they have anything new. You may need to blow/yell at someone to convince them to sell.

3rd Dungeon - Sun Cavern

Q - What order do I pull the switches on the second floor of the third dungeon?

North, South, East, West (note - Remember this if you come across another four switches later)

Q - How do I move the glowing block at the end of the 3rd dungeon?

Try using your map to tell it where to go.

Q - My fairies just got freaky after I finished the dungeon when I tried to get on my boat, now what?

You now have what you need to track down that ghost ship that's been troubling you. Look around where you last saw it.

4th Dungeon - Ghost Ship

Q - I can't progress any further in the Hourglass Dungeon now, I still end up at the sun stone. What gives?

You need to draw something different on the red door in the basement. Sail around in the north to see if you can find someone who can give you something else to draw.

Q - Okay, I get it, but I can't get the drawing to work. How do I draw it?

Draw it all as one line without picking up your stylus. This will NOT work unless you did the step above.
drawing.png

Q - How do I get through that Goron blocking the path on the island after killing the flying serpent?

It's tricky, but here goes. First off you need to speak to every Goron in the village and in 2 cases do the task they ask of you (you should be able to figure them out). After that, speak to the Goron elder and start the quiz. It costs 20 rupees a try, so you might want to save before hand so you don't waste too much cash. There's a set pool of questions but they come up somewhat randomly. For me the first three questions were always these in some order:

1. How many caves are there? (choices 5, 6 or 7) - 6

2. How many Gorons are there? (choices 12, 13 or 14) - 14

3. What is this Goron looking at (points on the map to a spot just north of your boat)? Top option.

As for the last 3, good luck. Some possible questions are -

Which question number is this?

How many Rupees have you earned?

How many rocks were in this cave (points on map)?

What is on this island? (the answer is "treasure" I guess, but I don't know which one that is)

Unknown question asked 5th with answers of 5, 6 or 7 - 7

The bottom option on any question narrows the choices to 2 instead of 3. If you use that on one question, you have a 1 in 18 chance of getting through the last questions without missing.

If you manage to get them all right, talk to the little guy in the same cave. Then talk to the Goron who triggered the bridge for you. Go where he says, after seeing the little guy again, talk to the bridge Goron again and go to a different place he points. You should be able to advance from there.

5th Dungeon - Sand Dungeon

nb - The order of the 5th and 6th dungeons may be reversed if you like.

Q - What do I do once I get on the ice island?

Talk to the elder south of the group of 6 houses. Then talk to each person in the 6 house group. Once that's done, talk to the guy in the CENTER HOUSE ON THE TOP ROW, accuse him of being the Snow Ape by choosing the top option and confirm it by choosing the top option again. Afterwards speak to the elder again and then head for the cave to the east.

6th Dungeon - Ice Dungeon

Q - What order do I pull the four switches?

The stone tablets on the same floor probably give you the clues for this, but here you go...numbering the switches from the left, pull 1, 4, 3, 2

Q - How can I progress in the Hourglass Dungeon now?

Go down to B7-9 and collect the three gems again. Open the door and talk to the skeleton to the right just inside the door to get a clue about a certain order to put the gems in place in. You'll know you got it right when you go through the open door and the ground shakes. Go back out the door and you'll be on the next floor.

Q - What path do I take to get through the first pyramid?

Up, Right, Down, Right, Right, Up, Up

Q - Another red door...with five dots. Now what do I draw?

You need to connect the dots as though you were outlining a pyramid from a side view.
pdoor.png

7th Dungeon - Pyramid

Q - Okay, I gots me some metals/gems things. What do I do with the three of them?

The blacksmith asked you to retrieve these I guess, starting back when he gave you the triforce clue. Bring them back to him.

Q - When is the blacksmith going to be done with my project?

One of the letters you receive after visiting him is from the pirate lady asking to meet. Maybe now's a good time to go pick a fight.

Q - What do I do with what he gives to me?

Give it to the guy who started you off on this whole crazy mess

8th Dungeon - Phantom Dungeon

Q - The stairs are gone and I got an hourglass icon now, when I tap it I get a little border...now what?

When the enemy is close to you, quick swipe an hourglass shape in the border

gieve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm Stuck and was wondering if anyone could give a hand....

After getting the second sea chart, i follow the ghost ship up through the fog, until it disappears, and i cant travel any closer to the second dungeon without getting lost in the fog. Also i have the spade but have no idea what to do with it that might help progress the story.

also for those who keep being stopped by your fairy when trying to get to the north east segment of the island :
you have to go into the pub ( the larger building just above the shop) and talk to the barman who will talk to the little man on the stool and tell you about the dungeon....

PearlChoco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What should I do after defeating the first boss? I found a nice upgrade for my ship at the harbour and tried to get me through the mountains in the west, but it won't work...

gieve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What should I do after defeating the first boss? I found a nice upgrade for my ship at the harbour and tried to get me through the mountains in the west, but it won't work...

have you got the cannon for your ship yet, if not go look at all the islands... and talk to everyone you can, hint: island with a crane......

now there must be SOMEONE who has got past the fog.... please help us along, than later we might be able to help you when you get stuck
tongue.gif

arghtster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you get the second map, where you look at it on the dock, what are you supposed to do, cause I'm just stuck looking at it.

Achilles

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is the proper way to load your game after saving? Every time I save and quit back to the title screen and then load it up again it always starts back at the beginning of the intro video. Does it just start you back at the beginning of an island or is the save supposed to save your place wherever you are? It's doing this both on my n-card clone as well as No$Gba.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
What is the proper way to load your game after saving? Every time I save and quit back to the title screen and then load it up again it always starts back at the beginning of the intro video. Does it just start you back at the beginning of an island or is the save supposed to save your place wherever you are? It's doing this both on my n-card clone as well as No$Gba.

3 files on the card
zelda.nds.dsq
zalda.nds.sav (saver file from update, renamed)
1158.sav (saver file from update)

after saving, turn the ds off and boot in gba mode. go to saver -> choose 1158.sav and press A. confirm with A and turn ds off. after turning on again, your saves are still there.
this method suxx but there is no other atm
frown.gif

nah man thats all wrong... rename the 1158.sav back to it's original 0575.sav (i don't know who renamed it).. then put it in the 'saver' folder of the sc client instalation directory on your pc (you will find similary named files there).. now when you patch the rom the client will automatically produce a 512kb save file, put the rom+sav on mem card and play and save as normal

to save in game, press start and choose the bottom option

Kniteshade

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

3 files on the card
zelda.nds.dsq
zalda.nds.sav (saver file from update, renamed)
1158.sav (saver file from update)

after saving, turn the ds off and boot in gba mode. go to saver -> choose 1158.sav and press A. confirm with A and turn ds off. after turning on again, your saves are still there.
this method suxx but there is no other atm
frown.gif
Could you elaborate in detail on that please? I'm getting the same problem as Achilles and also using an N-Card clone.

DeepFriedAsian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

coolie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go to the plus island and talk to the guy in the house. when you go outside you will see a mermaid. hit her with your bomerang. and go talk to the guy and run to the guy by your boat and go back to the house and talk to the guy and he will give you a fishing rod. now i dont know what to do next

Rev2k7

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I need help im on need to go to second dungeon , i got the second sea chart , i think i need bombs to blow up the wall and go to island with blue pearl on it (nayru).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr