Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

So I have a very unique problem, which I doubt others have experienced, but will throw it out here for some suggestions.

I have had a DS-x 4 Gb since it was released.
I got a Cyclo DS for Christmas using Kingston 2Gb MicroSD class 4 temporarily formatted with fat32 and latest firmware 1.51.

Happily converted 25 save games so far from DS-X to CycloDS using ShunyWeb without incident except for one.

1456_Zelda_Phantom_Hourglass_USA_NDS-CNBS, even though I have converted the save, each time I load it on the Cyclo it creates a new save file/overwrites the original, as though I am playing the game for the first time. The file name is the same as the .nds file name and continues to work on Ds-X.

The game was originally trimmed using NDS Tokyo Trim and patched using the arm7 file from the Japanese release of sim city to make it work on the DS-x.

Now even if I use the original file 1456_Zelda_Phantom_Hourglass_USA_NDS-CNBS, trimmed or not, or use the patched version I created for my DS-X, it always creates a new save file on the Cyclo DS.

Since I have no issues with other saves, even trimmed ones or patched ones (Castlevania: OoE) all work fine, I don't suspect the card, formatting or firmware. Perhaps this is an issue unique to is game. I can continue to play the game on my DS-X.

Thanks for any thoughts on this issue.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Upload somewhere your original (before any conversion) DS-X Zelda save and I will look at it. If the firmware on your DS-X was anything below 1.1.2, then you are probably out of luck.

UofG2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

Thanks, Ds-x is currently at 1.13 firmware, although I will say I sat on 1.12 for a long time, a few months after 1.13 came out. Zelda was likely added during my 1.12 firmware time.

I PM'd you my zelda link on rapidshare.

I am assuming there are no other useful save conversion tools. DS Save Tool 1.12 looks like it doesn't cater to the DS-X.

Thanks,

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
Your original DS-X save is corrupted. It is only 211 kbytes in size after manually uncompressing it. It should be 512 kbytes under firmware 1.1.2+. It also contains traces of DS-X firmware instructions.

If you still can play Zelda on DS-X, it is due to functional Zelda save data being present on EEPROM. I'm pretty sure the game is not reading your save file at all when resuming your game. So if you overwrite EEPROM contents somehow (by playing other game with a save type and size similar to Zelda one), you will find that when returning to play Zelda, your current DS-X save file is useless.

I suggest the following procedure to try to get a working save file from your currently working EEPROM data contents:

1. Make sure that you have a backup copy of your current DS-X save file for Zelda.
2. Load Zelda as usual and continue your game.
3. Save your game a couple consecutive times.
4. Turn off your DS.
5. Now BEFORE turning your DS on again, DELETE the zelda save file from your DS-X.
6. Turn on your DS and wait for the EEPROM message to appear. A new Zelda save file will be created, hopefully containing fresh and working save data.
7. When at the DS-X OS menu, turn off your DS and send me the new save file.

UofG2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

I will PM the link for the newly created save file.

You are correct, after waiting for the EEProm message to appear a new zelda save file was created on the device, even though I had removed it from the device, prior to saving several times.. I turned off the device when it reached the Ds-x os menu.

Thanks,

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
The new DS-X save was corrupted too, so a bit of "magic" has been required to recover it. Check your PMs.

This is not the first and sadly it won't be the last example of save files being corrupted by the shitty DS-X EEPROM design and its stupid save compression feature.

UofG2000

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

Thanks, I sent you a PM. The short answer is it worked. It looks like the save you created for me is one save prior to my DS-x last save. On the DS-X I had written on my map on treasure island to show the path to take in the maze. In the converted CycloDS save, it shows the locations I marked, but not the path I had drawn, which obviously I am not concerned with.

Really glad to have this off my DS-X and onto something current. Here I thought my DS-X was serving me well, despite the minor patching and slow load times.

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try padding the file.....
I once dumped a savegame from a save made by a original Zelda game.
Converted it and it dint wanna run on my flashcart.
It did exactly as yours.... act if no savegame is present and asked me to make a new one.
(This ingame - it did not give any trouble booting up the game)

Now I took a hex editor and did pad the file to exactly 512 kb.
Now it worked!
smile.gif

So what to do?
Take a hex editor and fill the file up with 0`s till it fits exactly 512 kb.
(This AFTER converting)

(I know normally using the converter padding is not needed however it was in my case and could be in yours aswell!)

Greetz, Vistabuser.

kuzcous

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I have the exact same problem. I have converted many saves from DS-X to Cyclo and the only one that didn't work is Zelda.

So I guess my Zelda save is corrupted too. So what can i do ? What is the "little bit of magic" you were speaking about kazumi213 ?

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
It's just a stupid way to say that extra work was required to recover the save.

Your save was quite easier to fix. It was missing the data in the second save slot so I've just duplicated the first slot into the second one. Then added the "ZPH save terminator". It is a fixed 32 bytes string followed by a 5600 FF-byte block.

You have a PM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: