Zelda Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Best Version

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by pappapishu, Jun 11, 2009.

1. pappapishu
    OP

Newcomer pappapishu Newbie

Italy
    Hi everybody... having never played those Zelda N64 games before, I was wondering

which version is better on the Wii: the ones included in the Gamecube Zelda Collector's Edition disc

or the recent Virtual console releases?

As far as I know, Gamecube versions are at a higher resolution, but is it true they have lower

frame rate and random crashes issues?

Virtual Console versions should be theoretically identical to the original games, but do they support

progressive scan on the Wii?

Hopefully someone else is concerned with these awkward thecnical/nerdish issues as I am... [​IMG]

2. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    well as i am a official owner of "The" Collector's Edition i can tell you everything about it.
    there is no slowdown only a sound bug in majora's mask which was caused during the transfer to a gamecube disk

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    the menu pause isn't in the VC titles...

on the GC versions, when you hit START, there was a 1.5-2 second delay for the menu to come up.

i haven't seen that on the VC versions

4. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Actually, I'd assume that the sound bug, like other MM issues on that disc, is caused by the faulty emulator, which might cause bugs or slowdowns due to lack of Expansion Pak emulation. It certainly causes freezes.

Yes, the GameCube versions are at a higher resolution(640*480 as opposed to 320*240), but as far as I know, only the OoT GameCube version has successfully been injected into a Virtual Console wad, as well as its Master Quest version. If you've got no problems with installing VC games rather than buying I'd suggest looking for the GC inject versions, but I think you'll have to make do with the N64 VC version of MM.

5. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    The VC versions don't support rumble.
    I completed OoT on GC disc, no glitches at all. Game was working perfectly.

6. pappapishu
    OP

Italy
    Ok, from what I understand thus far:

- Ocarina of Time Gamecube version is better because of higher resolution and rumble support, plus no bugs whatsoever!

Speaking of Majora's Mask...

- Gamecube Version -

PROS: hi-res, rumble support
    CONS: sound bug

- Virtual Console Version -

PROS: bug-free
    CONS: low-res, lack of rumble support

Seems like I have to figure out for myself just how much the sound bug is annoying...!

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Are we sure that the collectors edition rom runs at a higher resolution?

Both run at 480P...

8. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    My personal preference would be to download the VC wads.

9. CreX

Member CreX GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    I made some comparison. The GameCube versions run at a higher frame rate as well. Probably 60 frames per second. And the virtual console version of Majoras Mask (the game I purchased from VC) seems to only run in 30 frames per second.

It's definitely noticeable that the GameCube version run at higher framerate, but the Gamecube version droppes in frame rate as well in some places (clock town as an example). So on the gamecube version it might feel a bit jumpy and the VC version is locked down to a low fps. So it's up to you.

Your options:
    1) Play with constant LOW fps on VC
    2) Play with good framrate most of the time on GameCube.

CreX

10. Red Ire Lap

Newcomer Red Ire Lap Advanced Member

Canada
    I remember playing the GC version of MM and almost giving the system a punt after almost playing through the 3 days (in game), the game freezes and you lose like 2 and half ours of gameplay. Very frustrating at times.

11. pappapishu
    OP

Italy
    Very useful comparison...thank you man!

12. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    so is it the emulator or the rom which determines FPS? easy to compare both in a PC emulator.

I don't see why nintendo would make the VC version run at a lower framerate considering all they would have to do is port the GC emulator to the wii...
    But if it's the rom, then that's understandable that they wanted to keep VC version close to original (they claimed thats what they desire... sigh...)

Anyways, maybe if crediar or someone releases the hack to enable GC games running using wii processing speed, maybe the GC emulator will run better? LOL, just a wild dream but who knows.

13. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    Ocarina of Time
    The ONLY way in which the VC version is better is that it doesn't have menu lag. Other than that, GCN version is completely superior. I recommend it.

Majora's Mask
    The VC version runs at 30FPS because on the N64 it runs at 30FPS. The VC version runs at 320*240 because the N64 version ran at 320*240.

The VC version is more accurate than the GCN version, and doesn't have menu lag, and doesn't have that sound bug, and doesn't crash.

The GCN version runs at 60FPS at 640*480, has rumble, and during actual gameplay (not menus) provides a generally smoother experience, but has the sound bug, and the occasional random crash (most people never experience these crashes, but it can happen).

So, it's hard to say which is better, it's a matter of what's important to you.

Personally, I prefer the VC versions of both, because I don't have a Wavebird, and the Classic Controller is more wireless than a regular GC controller, but I understand that this might not be a high priority to everybody.