Gaming Zelda Minish Cap can't save - fake?

mammastuffing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

I just got two copies of Zelda Minish Cap which both have the same problem - I can't save the game.
Both cartridges contain a save game called "AAAAAA". I've tried removing these save games but everytime I restart the game they're right back where they were.

I've tried changing the battery without results.

Are these copies fakes? Is there a fix for the saving issue if swapping the batteries do not help?

Thankful for any help!

Attachments

• 20150807_171253.jpg
    20150807_171253.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 2,668
  • 20150807_171416.jpg
    20150807_171416.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 20150807_171424.jpg
    20150807_171424.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 1,465
  • 20150807_172114.jpg
    20150807_172114.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,690
  • 20150807_172146.jpg
    20150807_172146.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 3,091

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
they are fake...

spot the differences

minish cap uses a Eeprom save, a type of memory that doesn't require a battery
black circle behind battery, when a cartridge got that circle, most likely its fake (must likely, because i am not sure if nintendo used that in old games)
chinese\japanese stickers on chips...
and nintendo logo\numbers wrong, of course...

50icdc.jpg

Last edited by migles,

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
they are fake...

spot the differences

minish cap uses a Eeprom save, a type of memory that doesn't require a battery
black circle behind battery, when a cartridge got that circle, most likely its fake (must likely, because i am not sure if nintendo used that in old games)
chinese\japanese stickers on chips...
and nintendo logo\numbers wrong, of course...
The logo/numbers on (and the back of) the shell actually do match with an eur copy (I've checked it against mine, which is genuine). The only thing is that the numbers on the circuit board don't match (mine says ©2001 Nintendo AGB-E03-01) but I'm not sure if that's affected by country or shipment etc. I haven't opened up my copy however (and I'm rather hesistant to do so, as there's nothing wrong with it), so I'm not sure about the insides.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The logo/numbers on (and the back of) the shell actually do match with an eur copy (I've checked it against mine, which is genuine). The only thing is that the numbers on the circuit board don't match (mine says ©2001 Nintendo AGB-E03-01) but I'm not sure if that's affected by country or shipment etc. I haven't opened up my copy however (and I'm rather hesistant to do so, as there's nothing wrong with it), so I'm not sure about the insides.

if you notice they wrote n1ntendo on the pcb, and has the wrong font... thats what i meant with wrong..

however, still is fake, for other reasons..

mammastuffing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just made a dump using my NDS of the ROM and it seems like the save file is hard coded into the ROM? I tried running it on an emulator and removing the "AAAAAA" save file there as well. However the next time I ran the emulator the save file was still there. :O

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if you notice they wrote n1ntendo on the pcb, and has the wrong font... thats what i meant with wrong..

however, still is fake, for other reasons..
I... hadn't even noticed that :P. Yeah it's likely to be fake. Still, it's a better fake than my Castlevania Double Pack.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I just made a dump using my NDS of the ROM and it seems like the save file is hard coded into the ROM? I tried running it on an emulator and removing the "AAAAAA" save file there as well. However the next time I ran the emulator the save file was still there. :O
it can't be hard coded on the rom, otherwise they wouldn't bothered putting a battery on it...
did your backup program detected the Sram? or can you force it to SRAM?

mammastuffing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
it can't be hard coded on the rom, otherwise they wouldn't bothered putting a battery on it...
did your backup program detected the Sram? or can you force it to SRAM?
The program detects EEPROM 64K bits (8KByte) and I am able to dump the save file. Haven't looked at it yet though.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The program detects EEPROM 64K bits (8KByte) and I am able to dump the save file. Haven't looked at it yet though.
probably because it is based on a list... (the program knows what type of memory it uses based on the ID of the game)
if you are using rudolphs tool, IIRC i think you can force it to read it as SRAM..
try other tool to check if they detect it...

mammastuffing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
probably because it is based on a list... (the program knows what type of memory it uses based on the ID of the game)
if you are using rudolphs tool, IIRC i think you can force it to read it as SRAM..
try other tool to check if they detect it...
Turns out I was using Rudolphs tool. I'm thinking about filling the save file with 0x00 and then doing a restore...

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its possible who ever made the fake screwed up so bad that they used a modded rom with a save built in (do those even exist?)

Reactions: migles

mammastuffing

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I made a dump of the second rom, turns out there's alot of differences in the ROMs.

I used a HEX editor searching for "AAAAAA" in the ROM. Found a bunch of instances and I replaced them with "LINK..". Ran the game in VBA and got the game says "The data in File 2 is corrupted", but the game still works. I'd say the save file is definitely hard coded in the ROM.

Last edited by Sicklyboy,

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anybody want it, here is a real Minish cap board to reference!

For kicks, I also threw in an image of a fake Super Mario World cart with the Nintondo seal of approval! :lol:

Attachments

• Real Minish Cap Board.jpg
    Real Minish Cap Board.jpg
    1,013.7 KB · Views: 2,966
  • Minish Cap Front Side.JPG
    Minish Cap Front Side.JPG
    845.6 KB · Views: 2,533
  • Fake Super Mario World.JPG
    Fake Super Mario World.JPG
    699.2 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Nintondo.jpg
    Nintondo.jpg
    752.1 KB · Views: 1,315

Drud1995

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mine looks a bit different inside

DSC02544_zpsuigzh0ha.jpg~original

Quite sure mine is real as there are no obvious flaws. Numbers are pressed into the label, plastic is the correct shade, and it saves perfectly. Some gba games I have found have different stamps by the contacts. Here are examples of this with Mother 3 and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is also a photo of an extremely fake copy of Minish Cap as a reference for people. It is so fake that it actually has a sticker inside and a battery for saving data.

Attachments

• Mother 3 and Superstar Saga.jpg
    Mother 3 and Superstar Saga.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,834
  • Fake Minish Cap.JPG
    Fake Minish Cap.JPG
    835.9 KB · Views: 3,379

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The chinese/japanese stickers are a dead giveaway. There are several other telltale signs as well.
I would be careful about where I buy GBA games, fakes seem more common than the real ones nowadays.

Edit: That is really strange though... Who mods a ROM with a hardcoded save file? I doubt the manufacturer did this on purpose but I wonder how they managed to find a ROM with a hardcoded save. I've never even heard of such a thing existing.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it