Gaming Zelda Breath of the Wild is a really good Game, but worst Zelda Experience

How is Zelda BotW to you?

• great game in general, but bad zelda game

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • great zelda game, but bad game in general

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • great game in general and great zelda game

Votes: 35 39.3%
  • bad game and bad zelda experience

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • game is a trash

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • game is epic

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • its ok

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • meh

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • neutral

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
649250fcfb2e92e8b8d2ecaeacd17371.gif

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only things from a true Zelda game it felt lacking in were proper dungeons and a hookshot. Maybe iron boots and/or the ability to swim underwater. Otherwise felt like a true Zelda experience through and through, like seriously of all the Zelda games that has retained the spirit of the very first entry in the series, BOTW feels like it succeeds the most at that (but I'm aware that most Zelda experiences since have been instead measured against the playstyles of ALTTP and OOT). I'd like to see some missing enemies like Poes and Redeads, hopefully they'll be in the sequel. And I will concede that the game missed a core gimmick that every Zelda title tends to have (manipulating time, the seasons, turning to a werewolf, shrinking, traveling through the sea or the sky, etc.), but I think as an entry title to the new open world Zelda, it probably was best not to have one of those kinds of mechanics from the start. Wouldn't be surprised if the sequel had any such mechanic though.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
that game doesnt exist.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Only things from a true Zelda game it felt lacking in were proper dungeons and a hookshot. Maybe iron boots and/or the ability to swim underwater. Otherwise felt like a true Zelda experience through and through, like seriously of all the Zelda games that has retained the spirit of the very first entry in the series
thats same like saying... formula 1 car is still a formula 1 car, but it just lacks tires, spoilers, aerodynamic line....
also "spirit" of a game is very subjective term.
just because its very first zelda doesnt mean its staple of what zelda is throught the years.

I mean imo zelda botw is not really true to zelda games just because it has many references to past games.
first of all they all talk. as you said, one of major things, the dingeons thats like 90% of what makes zelda great isnt there.
link can jump. yes that seems silly but it breaks some of zelda puzzle solving mechanics imo.
to much anime influence imo and to easy game. to much openness and walking.
to much empty space thats not well used up unless you like to do noting special.
no progression and building up your courage and inventory, so you can progress.
and lastly to much modern game influences like dark souls, gta5 etc. open world.
zelda is kinda open world but its not that type of a game.

I mean id say if you are a zelda fan and want to experience zelda adventure, id say not to get your hopes high.
Thats why i say its a good game cause i love dark souls and gta5, but to much little things referencing to game (zelda 1 as you say)
thats not really a staple of zelda series and what it is today (i mean till the botw)

i mean look, i like zelda BECAUSE of dungeons, and puzzles in there among other things,
so a zelda game thats lacks that is not fun to me...just isnt what i want from that type of a game, but i had fun, just a different kind of fun.
zelda between worlds is far better zelda game and twilight princess.

Last edited by MetoMeto,
Reactions: onibaku

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats same like saying... formula 1 car is still a formula 1 car, but it just lacks tires, spoilers, aerodynamic line....
just because its very first zelda doesnt mean its staple of what zelda is throught the years.

More like it's complaining that it's missing a cup holder and some decals. These are not essential to a Zelda experience at all (yes even proper dungeons. The part of dungeons that are actually core to the Zelda experience are puzzles, and those are still there in spades, plus you still have boss battles as well, so the essence of what makes dungeons such a big part of Zelda is still entirely there).

The fact that of all the Zelda titles it feels the most like the original Zelda game than any other title since the original game(but sooooo much more fun), is all I really need to know in regard to the question at hand.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My main complaint is that it was designed around dual screen/touch screen functionality that was unfortunately removed to keep the Wii U version from being better than the Switch version. This might not have mattered as much in another game, but since you have to go back to the menus so often it really hurts it.

I agree that it doesn't really feel like Zelda, but then again I don't know if the traditional Zelda formula would have even worked in such a massive world. Or maybe they just didn't feel confident enough to try. At the end of the day it's still a great game, but there are a lot of things that could have been done better.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
it's not even close to a proper zelda game

All it has is countless shrines with all the puzzles that can be bypassed by using runes.
Or how about finding 100 seeds to get the lamest fucking prize ever in existence?

botw is a souless zelda game that has nothing what makes a great zelda game and that's real exploration.

which is you see a chest or heart piece on some cliff or inside some weird box or behind a door you cannot open and you wonder how can i get that? So you ignore it for now and tag the location in your mind because you know sooner or later your going to get an item that can get you in there.

Oh that's right botw didn't have items...or heart pieces to find instead it has lame seeds and all the chests you can just climb up and grab easily. and they all contained the same thing lame weapons that break after a few uses or money. it's a big empty world with nothing to do in it...no scratch that it's a fucking climbing simulator that's what it is.

onibaku

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
that game doesnt exist.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean imo zelda botw is not really true to zelda games just because it has many references to past games.
first of all they all talk. as you said, one of major things, the dingeons thats like 90% of what makes zelda great isnt there.
link can jump. yes that seems silly but it breaks some of zelda puzzle solving mechanics imo.
to much anime influence imo and to easy game. to much openness and walking.
to much empty space thats not well used up unless you like to do noting special.
no progression and building up your courage and inventory, so you can progress.
and lastly to much modern game influences like dark souls, gta5 etc. open world.
zelda is kinda open world but its not that type of a game.

I mean id say if you are a zelda fan and want to experience zelda adventure, id say not to get your hopes high.
Thats why i say its a good game cause i love dark souls and gta5, but to much little things referencing to game (zelda 1 as you say)
thats not really a staple of zelda series and what it is today (i mean till the botw)

i mean look, i like zelda BECAUSE of dungeons, and puzzles in there among other things,
so a zelda game thats lacks that is not fun to me...just isnt what i want from that type of a game, but i had fun, just a different kind of fun.
zelda between worlds is far better zelda game and twilight princess.

I have to agree with this. I recently got into the Zelda games and played all the old-school ones (and 3DS one). Those were pretty amazing and I had high hopes for BOTW once I finally got my switch. It just didnt feel like a Zelda game to me, it looked pretty but it got boring. The shrines were easy and tedious, the "dungeons" were a disappointment and I hated the fact that you had to climb towers to unlock parts of the map... that is one of my least favourite aspects of an open-world game. They just introduced repetitive, boring and redundant aspects of an open-world game. And it was such an empty world.. I didn't feel like I was gaining anything from exploring it.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great, but it's not what I'm looking for in a Zelda experience. I hope they continue to make both types of titles

D

Deleted User

I think it was more of a Zelda-themed open-world game rather than an actual Zelda game. The sequel needs to re-implement items and proper dungeons.

AkumaNoYami

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i played it 2 times ..
first time i try it play it like a zelda .. run from dungeon to dungeon then to the princess .. > Bad Game

the 2nd run i play it like a Skyrim.. run everywhere open all things and make all on the world > what a great game :D

so its both
a bad game and a great game
you need to go with a other mentaly setting on it

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's not a bad Zelda game but it is very different, it's worse in some aspects (lack of long dungeons, lack of unique obtainable equipment, lacking in story, among other things) but better in other aspects (I never felt this way about any game before where I can get lost in it for hours at a time just exploring discovering little out of the way secrets)
I miss some things from other Zelda games but still love the overall experience. I think they can take the good that BotW did and combine it with some of the missing aspects from the older games and have the best Zelda game ever. I'm kind of hoping that that's what BotW 2 will be, but that's just wishful thinking.

We have this notion that Zelda games have to be a very specific way and I don't think that's true, some new mixed in with some of the old is good. They might have gone a bit light on the old for my liking but I wouldn't say that makes it a bad Zelda game. Just a good one, instead of a great one.
I haven't voted since none of the options really match my thoughts.

D

Deleted User

it didnt feel like a zelda game imo.

might be a good game but i didnt like it at all.. worst experience for me tbh

i wont preorder botw 2 because i was so shocked how bad botw 1 was...
i ll gladly buy another zelda but nothing with "Breath of the wild" in its name...
that might change in future if botw2 will have more zelda experience though...

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
THE game mechanics, how difficult was it designed, it looks alike Dark souls with mandatory Food system to me.

it's totally ruined on console with 30fps due to shitty HW, however the game is much more enjoyable on PC through emulator tho.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, The Bert and Ernie clip at the end is the best. +1