Gaming Zelda BOTW handhled switch VS wii U gamepad only?

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
The heat under the system could go a bit above warm at times, and the fan vibrates throughout the system- things to consider too.

EDIT: Oh also the analog system placement on the right is horrid, at least in handheld mode. The joycons on the grip fix the issue.

Last edited by Jiehfeng,

McBing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The heat under the system could go a bit above warm at times, and the fan vibrates throughout the system- things to consider too.

I've never "felt" the vibration of the fans nor the heat.

I'd prefer the Switch version, it's just "more portable"

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My switch does not get hot, how should I fix this? /s

PS: No, seriously, how do you get your switch to turn on the fan? Do you play under a desert's sun?

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I've never "felt" the vibration of the fans nor the heat.

I'd prefer the Switch version, it's just "more portable"

Well I certainly did. And I do prefer the switch version too, I'm just pointing out the negatives or points to consider other than going all "I love the switch go buy one so you can too".

PS: No, seriously, how do you get your switch to turn on the fan? Do you play under a desert's sun?

I have no idea? After a while with BoTW I can really feel the fan's vibrations that spread to the joycons, and the sometimes you can feel the blowing heat going out of the vents (though that is when I switch from docked to undocked, and in those moments the vibrations are pretty high). Also no, not in Gerudo Valley.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Is automatic, just put your hand near the vent at the top to see if is functional, if not, i guess maybe getting a replacement system.

Though i don't play portable mode to much since the battery is a thing. Seriously i wish they gave two usb adaptors for the dock and switch, using one for both is just... WHY NINTENDO :wtf:

The official ac adaptor is $30, i don't wanna spend that much on another. i know i can get like maybe a usb adapter for micro usb or something else, but I can't trust it cause it may be a voltage or contact issue i don't wanna break the slot too soon. :unsure:

Reactions: Jiehfeng

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I suppose I will try to make it hot intentionally to see if the fan goes on.
Of course it is so cold lately that it is not so easy, well... just playing besides the radiator should do it.

EDIT: Wow, when it turns on it is noisy like a jet.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
Is automatic, just put your hand near the vent at the top to see if is functional, if not, i guess maybe getting a replacement system.

Though i don't play portable mode to much since the battery is a thing. Seriously i wish they gave two usb adaptors for the dock and switch, using one for both is just... WHY NINTENDO :wtf:

The official ac adaptor is $30, i don't wanna spend that much on another. i know i can get like maybe a usb adapter for micro usb or something else, but I can't trust it cause it may be a voltage or contact issue i don't wanna break the slot too soon. :unsure:

Yess finallyy.
Also yeah it's too expensive. I so need one outside of use other than the dock, especially to be near WiFi and to get charge. :/

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yess finallyy.
Also yeah it's too expensive. I so need one outside of use other than the dock, especially to be near WiFi and to get charge. :/
I guess the only funny thing about it is, when you playing it on dock, the system won't shut off if dock loses power (Maybe power surge or whatever) Since it runs on battery. So you can still play long enough to save the game before getting the problem fixed. :P

But really a second ac adaptor is a must unless you don't plan on using dock. I only use dock cause playing with the joycon grip feels better than the spaced out control. Is not horrible on the system, just less space between my hands to feel better. I kinda wish the grip had some sort of slot to put the switch on to maybe feel like.... OTHER NINTENDO PORTABLE SYSTEMS? GBA SP, NDS, 3DS? I mean also a flip cover would be fun. :creep:

I'm kinda curious, they went lazy on the kickstand, anyone get milage out of that? JUST ONE? Two would be useful for balance. :wtf:

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I guess the only funny thing about it is, when you playing it on dock, the system won't shut off if dock loses power (Maybe power surge or whatever) Since it runs on battery. So you can still play long enough to save the game before getting the problem fixed. :P

But really a second ac adaptor is a must unless you don't plan on using dock. I only use dock cause playing with the joycon grip feels better than the spaced out control. Is not horrible on the system, just less space between my hands to feel better. I kinda wish the grip had some sort of slot to put the switch on to maybe feel like.... OTHER NINTENDO PORTABLE SYSTEMS? GBA SP, NDS, 3DS? I mean also a flip cover would be fun. :creep:

I'm kinda curious, they went lazy on the kickstand, anyone get milage out of that? JUST ONE? Two would be useful for balance. :wtf:

Yeah I'm really not digging the whole comfortable spaced out joycons thing. It feels weird to me, if the joycons were more ergonomic on the sides where the slide on to things, it might've been better. For now, joycon grip ftw, as it also fixes the analog stick placement on the right.
The kickstand seems fine to me? Laying it on a flat surface is no problem at all, are you trying to put it on a couch or slightly moving surface? In any case you could get that HORI stand.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait for nintendo to start releasing touch screen mandatory games, you can't play in dock mode, or that sideways view games like brain age. You'll be playing that handheld mode when that happens. :P

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sould have said: I already have a Wii U with Zelda. Is the game experience really better on switch? (Handheld mode only)

I hesitate to buy it
With handheld mode, your Switch's screen will output the game at the same resolution that the Wii U does for TV. But with the same amount of pixels being packed into a smaller space, it might seem sharper (even though it isn't). The Switch version does have better draw distance, but that's about it. For all the complaining that people have done about the framerate of the Wii U version of BotW, the Switch version has its own framerate issues (one comparison I saw even suggested that the Wii U version in general has a more stable framerate and faster loading times). Then there's the Switch hardware issues that are cropping up to consider. True, the chances of getting a faulty Switch are slim, but it can still happen. For whatever reason, Breath of the Wild doesn't always seem to function properly on it.
However, these are just my opinions based on what news I have read regarding the Switch launch issues and comparisons of the game between the two consoles.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I sould have said: I already have a Wii U with Zelda. Is the game experience really better on switch? (Handheld mode only)

I hesitate to buy it

Just for the game? Don't buy the Switch. The gamepad is more comfortable than the Switch, and as you already have the game and a Wii U, you don't need the Switch. The only reasons you'd go for one is if you want a sharper screen (BoTW in handheld mode does look gorgeous because of 720p on a small screen), more stable framerates, or to go anywhere with the game. Personally I would stick with the Wii U as the drops are rare, the gamepad is fine and even better to control, so there isn't much incentive to pay $360+ for BoTW alone.

Reactions: dimmidice

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously don't think is worth it to buy the same game for both systems. One is enough, Is like asking if you have both switch and 3DS, should i buy the game on both? Buy it for which ever you think you will be playing it the most on. That the only thing i can say, problems in all, is not important. Perhaps can be fixed in future updates we won't know yet.

I bought the game for my switch cause out of the 8 games available, that seem like the only one to go with if i wanted to play it. To be honest i didn't wanna buy the switch without a game to play and i didn't want this game. Is more of a "Is all you got for now" kinda thing your parents tell you when they get a new system and a game you don't want like Ghost and goblins for NES, is either that or nothing. I wasn't paying $50 for 1-2-switch (honestly i could care less to play but fun to watch) it should just been included with the system like wii sports. Same for nintendo land on wii u. I am setsuna perhaps isn't bad but wasn't paying $40 for a donwload only title, I did buy shovel knight treasure trove edition since i do support the company for doing some cool stuff including the 2 player co-op mode, adding new features, multiplayer mode and the Azure striker gunvolt cross over, but that was all. Bomberman is something to consider but remember a few things. :P
  1. Is $50 for a game who main purpose of being fun is playing with others in multiplayer mode, so unless you have friends or it supports online well (either your own internet connection or people you play with) It matters a lot. Also while service for online mode is free now, it will cost money before the year ends.
  2. This games series hasn't been in production for at least 10 years, market entry price for that is kinda bold.
  3. IS PUBLISHED BY KONAMI. (Didn't we hate them for some reason? I think metal gear solid was one reason) This part isn't really important as the other 2 before it but i feel it should be pointed out that HUDSON SOFT assest are KONAMI owned now so any hudson games, bonk's adventure, Adventure Island, Bomberman, will be by them.
Then last week blaster master zero came out, that i wanted and for $10 was good deal to me, the game is fun and looks sexy as hell, and i can't wait for Azure striker gunvolt dlc. :wub:

Everything else is just Neo geo arcade game ports for now. (Not sure if is online mode either) But soon more will be added, i feel this year maybe have more Digital games than cart games for now, it already seem that way currently.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to...