Zelda BOTW disk - Is it safe to update for vWii and backup loaders?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by KTroopA, Mar 4, 2017.

1. KTroopA
    OP

KTroopA GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2007
    I could not find a straight answer to this so posting for clarity please. I have the EU disc and want to play but read there is a game update on the disk and/or some internet update as well. Can I go online and just update the game with the released patch or will my wii u try and do a system update as well - which i want to avoid. Either way is it safe for backup loaders and stuff do they all work ok after the zelda update?

2. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar GBAtemp Regular

Sep 19, 2015
    There is no system update, it's just an update for the game. I could understand why you would think it was a system update though, because it kind of says it is.

I think you should just delete the game completely, then download the USA version 10GB, without the update, then apply the 1GB update (or however big it is) from nintendo when you launch the game.

Edit -ignore the "download the USA" bit, I thought you were in the US, for some reasons. Sorry.

Last edited by fenderjaguar, Mar 5, 2017
  3. Wurztha

Wurztha Admìn MoFo :P

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    There is a system update, at least in the UK :(

4. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    no there isnt... the latest fw is still 5.5.1 the update is just for zelda ...

fenderjaguar likes this.
  5. Madalone

Madalone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Lisboa
    *facepalm*

smileyhead and fenderjaguar like this.
  6. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    This is the kind of retarded statement that creates chaos on this site. You should not state things without evidence of your claim especially when it comes to System Updates.

Madalone, smileyhead and fenderjaguar like this.
  7. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    Wow much stupid! Please refrain from posting unless you have the slightest clue what you are talking about.

8. Wurztha

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    Erm there is a game update which I ignore and it then takes you through to a system update...

And yes I am on 5.5.1! So I suggest some of you get off your high horses and give facts!

[​IMG]

Last edited by Wurztha, Mar 5, 2017
  9. fenderjaguar

Sep 19, 2015
    I already acknowledged that to the uninformed, it could seem like it was a system update.

The fact is, I've installed the so-called 'system update' and I'm still on FW 5.5.1.

The update is for zelda only. End of story.

pokeparadox likes this.
  10. Wurztha

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    Well usually you can skip the game update and play anyway but in this case the game loads after skipping the game update and presents that menu. I will update Zelda and report back anyway. If it's not a system update then you can understand the confusion here from the pic I posted.

11. fenderjaguar

Sep 19, 2015
    Absolutely. I thought the same myself, before I installed it. But I could find no evidence of a 5.5.2 FW anywhere on the internet. And people were already telling me they'd installed it.

I suppose it might be something nintendo has done to scare us into buying the game. But I assure you, you're quite safe to install that update.

12. bootmonster

bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2002
    Can I ask why you recommend the USA version? Is it different?

fenderjaguar likes this.
  13. fenderjaguar

Sep 19, 2015
    Damn, my mistake, I thought he was in the USA. I'll correct my post. Thanks

14. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

Dec 6, 2008
    United States
    If you have your Wii U connected to the internet, you shouldn't even get that message, as it updates to the 2.5 GB update instead.

15. Wurztha

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    That's what I am currently doing to v33. Once it has done I will report back, hopefully the 'system update' will be gone.

16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    that isnt a system update... zelda requires a forced "update install" for the game only or else it cant run that is the zelda mandatory update lol.

17. Wurztha

Jul 7, 2015
    Behind you!
    Just to report back, the stupid 'System Update' screen has gone after installing the v33 game update :D

Not a nice thing to do Ninty XD

18. DragonSky

DragonSky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 27, 2010
    Belgium
    Or you are on older firmware check the Nintendo update site for the WiiU.
    It is still 5.5.1. You could have been spoofed.

19. Madalone

Madalone Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Lisboa
    no.

20. KTroopA
    OP

KTroopA GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2007
    Thanks all for the replies guys. Just to be clear my wiiu is vWii hacked and backup loaders work fine. I own the retail BOTW disk and want to play that, but not break anything else by updating, hence my original question about wether it is safe or not?