Yuzu Switch emulator adds new and improved resolution scaling feature

yXniWbY.png

Just because Nintendo hasn't released a Switch Pro that would allow you to play your games at higher resolutions, doesn't mean such a concept is impossible. Thanks to the efforts of the Yuzu team, the emulator's resolution scaler has been "massively" improved, as of the latest early access release. While Yuzu previously had a method of upscaling a game's graphics, this new version has been completely rewritten to use a more effective rendering system. Switch games emulated through Yuzu can now be upscaled to x6 the original resolution, with support for a variety of filters, including AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution.

Benefits of Project ART

The feature-set of Project ART includes the following:

• Native Resolution Scaling:
    • Upscaling (2x, 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x) and Downscaling (0.5x, 0.75x).
  • FXAA Pre-filtering Pass
  • Fixed various bugs introduced from the Texture Cache Rewrite (TCR).
  • Window Adaptation Filters

Not all games have been tested for compatibility, but a majority reportedly work with minimal issues. Only two games were noted for specifically not working with the new resolution scaler: Paper Mario: The Origami King and Crash Bandicoot 4 - It's About Time. Upscaling to x4 will take quite a bit of processing power--a recommended 10GB of VRAM. If you don't have a powerful enough system to emulate Switch games normally, however, you might be interested in another new Yuzu feature called downscaling.

As the name implies, this is the reverse of upscaling, and will instead lower the quality of the emulated game, gaining up to a 20% performance boost in the process. The Yuzu resolution scaler is currently only available in early access builds, but will make its way to the mainline emulator build once it's ready for a full release.

:arrow: Source

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I honestly think Steam Deck would've run it at/near full speed (720p) even before this update, but every little bit of optimization helps.
it should be able to run native quite easily, it's got some beefy specs for what yuzu needs

Reactions: Xzi

Arolandis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got tired of waiting for a Switch Pro styled upgrade like Nintendo 3DS had, so just said "fuck it" after the OLED announcement and switched exclusively to Yuzu. Nintendo cares more about it's handheld players than it's power users. I mainly played on a TV anyway and apps like Playnite and other customizations make my PC boot like a highly customizable console with decades of games, and I can even code comfortably with in Vim/Emacs and a wireless keyboard (no need for a mouse). It's been pretty awesome. I play animal crossing almost everyday after transferring my save, and have a quick virtual desktop WSL2/WSLg setup I switch to with a key press to code projects or do work with.

Sold my Switch and don't even miss it.

Edit: Oh and my specs aren't even high end. I was kind of surprised it runs most stuff at full speed with an i3-10100 and an GTX 1060, even BOTW is running great now.

Last edited by Arolandis,

TheEnigma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh and my specs aren't even high end. I was kind of surprised it runs most stuff at full speed with an i3-10100 and an GTX 1060, even BOTW is running great now.
I have the exact same graphics card and I must say I was truly shocked at how well things ran.
Granted I've run into a couple of framerate issues and some games don't exactly run well but that's the cost of emulation.
I believe Yuzu is a rather strong and compelling contender to the actual platform.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1