Homebrew yuzu Nintendo Switch emulator discussion

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tested the console demo code and it works, but the framebuffer is displayed upside down :rofl2:.

The graphical demo code doesn't show anything yet. Anyway it's a good starting point.

Meanwhile I'm going crazy installing the libtransistor on an ubuntu VM.

blahh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hope i don't sound like an ass, but why are all videos of yuzu showing it running at like 1 frame a second whereas the C# port of yuzu, which is about a week old, is actually playable?

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
iirc I think some countries considered emulators illegal. But that doesn't mean that it's illegal to the rest of the world.
Also, I noticed that Nintendo mentioned that emulators are illegal. But however, they cannot take down emulators that doesn't have any copyrighted materials such as NAND dumps and Yuzu and Citra don't have any copyrighted material that would break the rules from USA and worldwide.

Under United States law, obtaining a dumped copy of the original machine's BIOS is legal under the ruling Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 964 F.2d 965 (9th Cir. 1992) as fair use as long as the user obtained a legally purchased copy of the machine. To mitigate this however, several emulators for platforms such as Game Boy Advance are capable of running without a BIOS file, using high-level emulation to simulate BIOS subroutines at a slight cost in emulation accuracy.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yeah your allowed to make emulators but are you allowed to build a Nintendo game from scratch even if you use your own models and every thing no Nintendo will take it down. Making an emulator is like making a already existing game from scratch and making your game as close as possible to the real game except your doing it with the console. I do wonder why used games are allowed though they allow stores to make money off games they don't own. Piracy and used games have the same effect the only reason why piracy is illegal is because its free i guess because used games also cause the same affect.
Used games and Video Game rentals. They were loosing money from rental stores in Japan.

Nintendo along with other video game companies got video game rentals banned in Japan. They tried to do the same in the USA but were unsuccessful.
In Japan its illegal to have a video game rental service. You can rent dvd's and bluerays but not video games. They can only have rentals by permission of original publishers which only few have done.

Last edited by SG854,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
A big part for the ban in Japan was pirate copies from Rental stores. In 80s they would bypass the copy protection and make bootleg copies of games to rent out.
Rental stores also would sell those copy protection bypass software so that anyone can make copies. So game companies took action and got rentals banned.

Furoryan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,
I try to run my own emu with rtld, and I have this problem : all the games I tried output the message "[rtld] unresolved symbol : _init_libc0_" (with svcOutputDebugString), after millions of opcodes executed.
- I load rtld, main, subsdk*, sdk at address 0x8000000 (pages are aligned on a 4K border)
- Main thread context is located at adress 0x6000000 (does not seems to raise a problem, because memory is scanned from 0x8000000)
- TLS is located at address 0x7000000 (seems not used until I get my problem)
- Modules are successfully scanned with svcQueryMemory
- When MemoryType is Code and Permission is Read-Execute, MOD0 magic word is then tested (with result OK).
- It does some other stuff after that.
- There is no other service used other than svcQueryMemory
- no heap set for the moment (not used until there)
So I don't know if I have an error in my interpreter, or if I have missed something else.

Another thing :
- Ryujinx emu sets MemoryType = Normal (value=2) for read-only segments, where yuzu uses MemoryState::Static (value=4) for that. Who is right? I tried both and it does not seem to change anything.
Thanks if you can help me.

D

Deleted User

Hello,
I try to run my own emu with rtld, and I have this problem : all the games I tried output the message "[rtld] unresolved symbol : _init_libc0_" (with svcOutputDebugString), after millions of opcodes executed.
- I load rtld, main, subsdk*, sdk at address 0x8000000 (pages are aligned on a 4K border)
- Main thread context is located at adress 0x6000000 (does not seems to raise a problem, because memory is scanned from 0x8000000)
- TLS is located at address 0x7000000 (seems not used until I get my problem)
- Modules are successfully scanned with svcQueryMemory
- When MemoryType is Code and Permission is Read-Execute, MOD0 magic word is then tested (with result OK).
- It does some other stuff after that.
- There is no other service used other than svcQueryMemory
- no heap set for the moment (not used until there)
So I don't know if I have an error in my interpreter, or if I have missed something else.

Another thing :
- Ryujinx emu sets MemoryType = Normal (value=2) for read-only segments, where yuzu uses MemoryState::Static (value=4) for that. Who is right? I tried both and it does not seem to change anything.
Thanks if you can help me.
You aren't going to get any serious replies on gbatemp - people here don't know anything about what they are talking about. Check /r/emudev or the Discord servers for these projects.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah your allowed to make emulators but are you allowed to build a Nintendo game from scratch even if you use your own models and every thing no Nintendo will take it down. Making an emulator is like making a already existing game from scratch and making your game as close as possible to the real game except your doing it with the console. I do wonder why used games are allowed though they allow stores to make money off games they don't own. Piracy and used games have the same effect the only reason why piracy is illegal is because its free i guess because used games also cause the same affect.

You can't use their IPs. That isn't because of copyright, which covers Nintendo's games, but rather its because it violates trademark. And by law (at least in the US), trademark must be enforced on anyone that infringes on it or else they can legally lose those trademarks. That means even fan games have to be struck down if they use IP names or character likeness.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,

Furoryan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You aren't going to get any serious replies on gbatemp - people here don't know anything about what they are talking about. Check /r/emudev or the Discord servers for these projects.
After 7 days of reverse-engineering rtld, I finally found the cause of my problem, I had effectively an error in my interpretor, with register extension UXTW (switch cases was wrong ; so a bad offset was calculated, and the symbol string name was truncated).
Anyway, thanks for the link on reddit, I did not knew it.

On the road again!

AdamN

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Indonesia
Tested the console demo code and it works, but the framebuffer is displayed upside down :rofl2:.

The graphical demo code doesn't show anything yet. Anyway it's a good starting point.

Meanwhile I'm going crazy installing the libtransistor on an ubuntu VM.
I think the upside down frame buffer issue was fixed on RyujiNX a few days ago, not sure about yuzu :)

Pixel-Pie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can this type of computer run this emulator at high speeds?

CPU: Intel Core I7-7700k 4.2GHz Quad Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 R
Motherboard: AsRock B250M Pro4-IB Micro-ATX LG1151
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400MHz
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card

Miguel Gomez

Trophies
XP
Country
Can this type of computer run this emulator at high speeds?

CPU: Intel Core I7-7700k 4.2GHz Quad Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 R
Motherboard: AsRock B250M Pro4-IB Micro-ATX LG1151
RAM: ADATA XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400MHz
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Dual Series Video Card
Yuzu is not fully optimized. So expect like 5-7FPS if running a Homebrew app lol.
But for Ryujinx, I think it can.
Ryujinx is still Yuzu but uses C#.

Reactions: AceofZeroz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I have heard of the Fallout TV series. Many people thought it was good.