Yuzu Nintendo Switch emulator details latest features in September progress report

2A518489-4165-48FE-8253-5C9A4CD6F53B.jpeg

Are you curious about how one of the two major Nintendo Switch emulators is doing? Lucky day for you then, as the development team behind Yuzu has put out their latest progress report. Published this week, it details all the new features and improvements made to the emulator throughout September. Many hardware specific problems were ironed out, and if you were prone to crashes, then this update might fix performance for you. You can check out the full changelog below.

Hi yuz-ers! Welcome to the latest entry of our monthly progress reports. We have even more GPU rendering fixes, TAS support, 8 player mayhem, input and UI changes, some preliminary work for future big changes, and more!

Yet more AMD specific changes and other graphical fixes​

Certain AMD and Intel GPUs were unable to utilize yuzu’s unlock FPS feature with the Vulkan API, due to the lack of driver support for the VK_PRESENT_MODE_MAILBOX_KHRpresentation mode. They, however, support VK_PRESENT_MODE_IMMEDIATE_KHR, another mode that allows Vulkan to present at a higher framerate than the screen refresh rate, so epicboy made the necessary changes in order to unlock the FPS on these GPUs. Due to the nature of this presentation mode, this may cause visible tearing on the screen, so bear that in mind if you try this out.

And this is with just an RX 550 (Metroid Dread)
And this is with just an RX 550 (Metroid Dread)
Booting a title in Linux with the Vulkan API using the Intel Mesa driver resulted in a crash due to a device loss error. The problem was in the synchronization between the rendering and subsequent presentation of frames.

Previously, yuzu would issue the Vulkan Present command, then wait for the frame to be rendered before continuing with the process. While this was fine for other drivers and vendors, ANV (Intel’s Vulkan driver) expected to have the frame already rendered before this command, causing this error.

epicboy fixed the synchronization behaviour so that yuzu now waits until the frame is fully rendered and ready before presenting it.

With the release of AMD’s Windows driver version 21.9.1, and its equivalent AMDVLK and AMDGPU-PRO Vulkan Linux counterparts, users started noticing crashes in most games right at boot. We rushed once again to blame AMD for breaking another extension, as it wouldn’t be the first time. We even singled out Int8Float16 as the culprit, providing an alternative path that reduced performance on all AMD GPUs running non-RADV drivers.

We were wrong.

Turns out, it was our fault. epicboy found out that during the process of initializing Vulkan, the emulator assigned Int8Float16’s values after its memory was freed. Surprisingly, this only started affecting official AMD drivers recently, after their periodical Vulkan version update. So we had to lay down the pitchforks, this time. Performance returned to normal after the introduction of this PR.

AMD Windows users are also familiar with certain stages in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate turning completely white or ghosting, akin to when applications would freeze back in the Windows XP era. Those were the good days.

Ahem, anyway, AMD Radeon GPUs lack support for fixed point 24-bit depth textures, or D24 for short, a relatively common texture format. To bypass this hardware limitation, yuzu uses D32 textures instead, which can cause precision issues during the conversion process. By adjusting the Depth Bias and Polygon Offset of yuzu’s D24 emulation,Blinkhawk solves the issue for good.

Fair play, please (Super Smash Bros. Ultimate)

Yet another AMD Radeon specific issue is visible when playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Terrain textures were colourful and corrupted, like when a PC gamer dials up the RGB to 11.

This issue affected our regular suspects, GCN4 devices (Polaris, RX 400/500 series) and older, running on the Windows and Linux proprietary Vulkan drivers. GCN5 (Vega), RDNA1, and RDNA2 devices were unaffected. The problem resided in how we guessed the textures were being handled by the game.

Some information first: there are several ways to handle textures, and in this particular example we need to focus on two, Cube Maps and Texture Arrays.

Cube maps are a cube with its six faces filled with different textures. The coordinate used to fetch the data, unlike the regular X and Y values, is a single versor originating from the center and pointing to the surface of the cube.

Texture arrays on the other hand are just as the name implies, an ordered array of textures one after the other, with X and Y used for positioning information inside the texture, and a Z axis used to determine which texture of the array is in use.

TL;DR, one is a sphere and the other is a list.

Vulkan allows for textures to be marked for conversion into cube maps if later needed, but the sampling (reading) is determined by the texture type specified by the game’s shader instructions. This type is then passed to the graphics API. We do just this and the game decides to keep its textures as arrays, which is its own decision. However, the AMD driver decides that the textures should be sampled as cube maps, ignoring what the texture view determined just before.

While this should not be a problem on its own, as coordinates can still be pulled out from the wrong texture type, the driver can end up reading the wrong texel. This can result in happy rainbow ground in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, or as dark and evil terrain in Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity.

By disabling Cube Compatibility on GCN4 and older devices running the official AMD proprietary drivers, epicboy returned proper sense to the devastated land of Hyrule.

:arrow: Source

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
What is the point of having two separate emulators that are good or bad depending on the game?
Is there any personal profit involved on these that would be diminished if they joined efforts?

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
What is the point of having two separate emulators that are good or bad depending on the game?
Is there any personal profit involved on these that would be diminished if they joined efforts?
How the two of them approaches emulating the switch is completely different. Ofc there's also yuzu team who likes some greens but who doesn't huh, it's not because of that that they don't "join forces", of course, they are just two different teams doing their emulators, like you have all those DS or GBA emulators. It's fine this way...

BlackZero500

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
huh. Seems like its actually usable now. I tried it about a year ago and i have to say back then they should have been payd by Nintendo because nothing else could frustrate me so much in such a short time to actually drive me to buy a switch. It "worked" yes but how. it was buggy, extreme loading times, many many crashes, after updates some games just would not run anymore and so on. Hopefully for all users its way better now.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
If you're gonna emulate Switch games, at least support devs who are actively publishing games. Don't be a cheapskate and feign innocence that "you can't afford games".
I suggest the opposite. If you are short on money, pirate away with a huge smile in the face.
If you really like some game, and you already paid your rent and food for your kids, then upvote this game buying an original copy.

(As games, for the most part, come from Japan and USA, most likely devs are way richer than you anyway)

Espen84

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
how is the experience with yuzu and metroid dread, my just got broken. and i really want to play metroid dread while its getting fixed.. is it like native??

Fps?
missing textures??
laggy (stutering etc..)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest the opposite. If you are short on money, pirate away with a huge smile in the face.
If you really like some game, and you already paid your rent and food for your kids, then upvote this game buying an original copy.

(As games, for the most part, come from Japan and USA, most likely devs are way richer than you anyway)

I'm not saying pirating is going to kill a company (it never has and never will) but if people can afford a powerful PC to run Yuzu, don't be a cheap ass and pirate games that are still being made.
Now, games that you can't get in any legal way or are banned, yes.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Obveron

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Besides that, they're emulating a current ARM device on a X86 machine, it is hard you know?
Doesn't matter. It's a console that is on the market for one generation so it's amazing, if an emulator for it succeeded in making its games run within only a few years.
Oh for sure, my comments weren't meant to diminish the accomplishment of getting emulation to such an advanced state in such a short period of time. With a decent gaming PC you can outperform Switch in either Yuzu or Ryujinx, in terms of both frame rate and resolution. That's unquestionably impressive.

As an aside, I also can't wait to see how these emulators run on Steam Deck.

Last edited by Xzi,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People can afford a 1500 dollar rig, but 50 dollars for a game that's still being made? Too much lol :creep:

I admit that I do pirate older games that can't be bought however, no one's even making money off of it, except stupid scalpers.

Karones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not saying pirating is going to kill a company (it never has and never will) but if people can afford a powerful PC to run Yuzu, don't be a cheap ass and pirate games that are still being made.
Yuzu isn't as heavy as you think, but the biggest problem is that hardware might not be so expensive compared to the games in some regions, prices can be very different compared to the US, be it higher than they should or lower.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
People can afford a 1500 dollar rig, but 50 dollars for a game that's still being made? Too much lol :creep:

I admit that I do pirate older games that can't be bought however, no one's even making money off of it, except stupid scalpers.
It makes sense that people don't buy games for systems they don't own and have no desire to own. Switch's biggest draw is portability, but that doesn't appeal to everybody, and there are other devices which achieve the same thing anyway.

I also don't think anyone has to worry about Nintendo going out of business any time soon, and most of their IPs are doing great in terms of sales. Metroid is one in specific that I'd prefer to see more financial support for, though, in whatever form that might take (amiibos, t-shirts, etc).

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes sense that people don't buy games for systems they don't own and have no desire to own. Switch's biggest draw is portability, but that doesn't appeal to everybody, and there are other devices which achieve the same thing anyway.

I also don't think anyone has to worry about Nintendo going out of business any time soon, and most of their IPs are doing great in terms of sales. Metroid is one in specific that I'd prefer to see more financial support for, though, in whatever form that might take (amiibos, t-shirts, etc).

Again, I'm not saying piracy has or will kill any company, and I'm all for game preservation, but what pisses me off is that people bitch about the Switch being pricey or the games when people can clearly afford a powerful gaming rig to emulate said games. Like, I don't get it.

And then we have PC Gamer and Kotaku encouraging people to pirate games still being made two days after Dread launches.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
what pisses me off is that people bitch about the Switch being pricey or the games when people can clearly afford a powerful gaming rig to emulate said games. Like, I don't get it.
I don't see many people using the price of Switch itself to justify piracy, but the games do stay at launch pricing longer than necessary (IMO). Next-gen AAA games can typically be found at 50% off just a couple months after release, but that's not the case for Switch titles.

And then we have PC Gamer and Kotaku encouraging people to pirate games still being made two days after Dread launches.
Yeah that's crossing a line I'd say. Even GBAtemp news posts don't encourage piracy, low-key or otherwise. OTOH it does potentially open up those outlets to lawsuits from Nintendo, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see many people using the price of Switch itself to justify piracy, but the games do stay at launch pricing longer than necessary (IMO). Next-gen AAA games can typically be found at 50% off just a couple months after release, but that's not the case for Switch titles.

Yeah that's crossing a line I'd say. Even GBAtemp news posts don't encourage piracy, low-key or otherwise. OTOH it does potentially open up those outlets to lawsuits from Nintendo, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

I don't know, I'm just bitching and moaning. Haven't felt good today >.>

Reactions: Xzi

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

This is true on top of your ivory tower.

Here and in the most part of the world, a regular mid class family (forget about the poor, video games are not meant for them outside very few and very rich nations) can justify a PC. It is tool above all things, and it serves multiple household members.

On other hand, many families can't afford a dedicated device for a single person to use.

There is also tax and subside issues that I'll not go deep here, but give PCs an edge.

Emulators for PC (or Android) are the only path for millions to access high quality videos games.

Also you mentioned somewhere about availability as piracy green light. So, unlike PCs, there's no switch games to sell in most places, bet you didn't know/cared about that.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is true on top of your ivory tower.

Here and in the most part of the world, a regular mid class family (forget about the poor, video games are not meant for them outside very few and very rich nations) can justify a PC. It is tool above all things, and it serves multiple household members.

On other hand, many families can't afford a dedicated device for a single person to use.

There is also tax and subside issues that I'll not go deep here, but give PCs an edge.

Emulators for PC (or Android) are the only path for millions to access high quality videos games.

Also you mentioned somewhere about availability as piracy green light. So, unlike PCs, there's no switch games to sell in most places, bet you didn't know/cared about that.

You seem upset. Perhaps you should work on being less conceited and sanctimonious. Thanks.

Luffyy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm waiting until I get Metroid Dread to emulate it since I don't want to get ahead of my dad, but my pc can just about run Dread at about 62 FPS at 1080p on Yuzu and I don't think my pc is a 1500 dollar PC, but I wasn't the one to build it, it was my dad who did, but if you know the specs are GTX 970, AMD FX-6300, ASUS 970 Pro Gaming/aura, 16 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM, and I would have to check my PSU once I'm home.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn