Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yasu has a test version of YSMenu that he thinks will work with the EZFlash 3-in-1+ but doesn't have a 3-in-1+ to test it with.

There is a link to it at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.usay.jp/dtbbs.php?mode=tree&treeid=1676

It's in Japanese, so here's a Google translated version:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

In that thread, a Japanese user said it is working with the new 3-in-1+ but he said there is a little problem with NOR writing. Yasu told me that after he fixes the problem with the NOR writing, he will release a regular version.

Anyone willing to test it and report back here whether it works?

-Bri

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
It actually works with the official firmware and the ez flash 3in1 plus. All features of the 3in1 plus and the gba exploader. Give me a guide to set up the YS Menu for the DSTT and I'll be glad to test it.

EDIT: I dont see any new YS Menu on the download link but I saw Yasu made new YS Menu just for this case.

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand. As far as I know, the official firmware doesn't have support for any GBA flash carts, so what do you mean by "it actually works with the official firmware and the ez flash 3in1 plus"?

There are instructions for setting up YSMenu in the FAQ that's stickied to the DSTT forum.

There is no official YSMenu release until Yasu fixes the problems with NOR, but he did release a "test" version which you can find by following the link near the bottom of the page I posted in the OP.

-Bri

Eternity`

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bri said:
I don't understand. As far as I know, the official firmware doesn't have support for any GBA flash carts, so what do you mean by "it actually works with the official firmware and the ez flash 3in1 plus"?

I guess he means that it is implented now in the YSMenu, so no need to use GBA_Exploader again

-Eternity

jruschme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My 3-in-1+ finally arrived today, so I downloaded the test build.

Everything looks good from here. I was able to load Pokemon Emerald into NOR and play from it. The NDS Browser recognized the expansion RAM and I did a quick test of the rumble with Space Invaders Extreme.

I eagerly await the final build.

John

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The 3-in-1+ has more volatile memory.

The way it works is that the 3-in-1 and 3-in-1+ have two types of memory: fast volatile memory and slow NOR (non-volatile) memory. The fast volatile memory requires power to retain its contents while the slower NOR can store a game while the NDS is powered off.

The volatile memory only takes a few seconds to load a game, but it only holds the game as long as the NDS has power. This is the usual option most of the time since it only takes a few seconds to load the game -- it doesn't really matter that it doesn't hold the game in memory when the NDS is off. Some other slot 2 GBA expansion carts like the eWin 2-in-1 only have faster volatile memory and don't have NOR memory at all.

The 3-in-1 has an additional NOR memory, which is good for loading a game once, and then playing it many times. Loading a game to NOR can take several minutes, but once it's loaded, playing the game is very fast. Since the NOR retains the game even when your NDS is off, it operates pretty much like a real GBA game cartridge once loaded (you can play the same game over and over again quickly).

The difference between the 3-in-1 and the 3-in-1+ is that the 3-in-1+ has more of the faster volatile memory, whereas with the 3-in-1 you were forced to use NOR for larger games that wouldn't fit into the volatile memory. Since most users will want to use the volatile memory most of the time, this is a big improvement, particularly for larger GBA games.

-Bri

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jruschme said:
My 3-in-1+ finally arrived today, so I downloaded the test build.

Everything looks good from here. I was able to load Pokemon Emerald into NOR and play from it. The NDS Browser recognized the expansion RAM and I did a quick test of the rumble with Space Invaders Extreme.

I eagerly await the final build.

John

According to Yasu, there is a problem with the NOR version (hard to tell exactly what the problem is since that page I linked to in the OP is in Japanese). Were you able to save a game stored in NOR?

-Bri

Karuko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
The difference between the 3-in-1 and the 3-in-1+ is that the 3-in-1+ has more of the faster volatile memory, whereas with the 3-in-1 you were forced to use NOR for larger games that wouldn't fit into the volatile memory. Since most users will want to use the volatile memory most of the time, this is a big improvement, particularly for larger GBA games.
Thanks for that clear the explanation Bri.

Bri

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, the one niu linked to is gone, and there is a new official version 2009/03/21 17:00:EZ3in1+

For those who don't know where to find it, see the stickied FAQ at the top of the topics list of the DSTT forum.

-Bri

niu

Trophies
Website
blog.sina.com.tw
XP
Country
United States
check CRC32
0903211700t (home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/YSMenu0903211700t.zip)
official version 2009/03/21 17:00?EZ3in1+ (home.usay.jp/pc/etc/nds/YSMenu0903211700.zip)
is the same.
biggrin.gif

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
In the latest YSMenu and the DSTT, when you load games like Pokemon FireRed, the 1M circuit is not presented. But when you play it on the GBA_Exploader by Rudolph, it's fine. It is both in PSRAM and NOR

Is this a bug on the new YSMenu (03/21/2009)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)