Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana releases on September 12

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, May 26, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States

The latest entry in the Ys series is soon to arrive on western shores, thanks to NIS America (Not XSEED this time). Launching for PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, and PC on September 12, and three days later for Europe, on the 15th, the game will offer dual audio, and interestingly, a French text localization as well. NISA is also offering a special limited edition of the game, on their website, which features an artbook, soundtrack selection CD, book ends, a poster, and a steelbook, for $99.99.

XDel, DarthDub, lcie nimbus and 2 others like this.
  2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    took them long enough.

3. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    YES! Can't wait. This series lived long which is great! Just wish the other of falcom games lasted this long, like popful mail.. Instead we have Dead or alive 5 costumes with stuff like that. :P

4. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    You could have showed us some actual gameplay, Falcom, instead of footage more representative of how good the animation studio you hired is rather than how fun the game is. Even still, with how much I liked Memories of Celceta, I'm fairly confident this will be at least comparable. I want a portable version of this game, but my Vita is staying firmly on 3.60 until further notice, so I guess it's Steam for me. Honestly, though, I'd much prefer it on the Switch.

EDIT: After looking at some proper footage, the camera angle seems to have been brought much closer to the player, making some enemies not fit into the frame as you attack them. I'm skeptical that this will make for a lot of blindside attacks you can't see coming, which might bring down the whole experience. Looking at the Steam page footage in particular, a boulder drops on Adol without any telegraphing at all (First trailer at 1:06). I recognize these kinds of mistakes in so many other games, and now I'm a bit worried.

Last edited by Meteor7, May 26, 2017
  5. Rockhoundhigh

Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    Southern California
    I'm just glad this is coming to PC. With the exception of V (unless they plan on remaking that next) PC is going to end up being the definitive platform to play Ys games on. I just hope they can fix up that buggy Chinese PC port of Memories of Celceta and release that next.

6. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    They won't release the Celceta for PC since they can't buy the rights from that chinese company.

Anyway, isn't this pretty old news? Had the Vita LE preordered for a couple months now.

7. death360

death360 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    When are they going to showcase some gameplay? PC ftw:toot:

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I really love NISA special limited editions.
    Also YS has always been simple entertainment.
    I will think of getting it when it releases on the Switch. /naive

9. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    The gameplay looks really fun. You'll be able to get 60 fps on the PS4 version - even non-Pro. I am sure the reason is the PS4 version uses low detail models suitable for Vita.

You should be able find gameplay videos of the Japanese version on YouTube. Nevermind, it turned out to be harder than I thought. Search for this on YouTube: ys VIII 実況 ps4

@death360

This is the best Ys game thus far. If you liked the others, you'll definitely like this.

Last edited by flame1234, May 26, 2017
  10. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    YS, YS, YS, YES, YESYESYESYESSYESSSSSSSSSSS!
    all aboard the hype train.

11. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    What is the general opinion of the Ys games? I hear some good things, but every video I watch makes them (the games) look extremely generic. Thoughts?

12. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    I have played all of them a lot of them; I like them.
    Reviewers don't. Ys games score in the low 80s (like ALL of them) on Metacritic.

Action RPG gameplay. It's basically:
    1) Easy "exploration" battles
    2) Harder boss battles every so often

That's like every game, seriously. They tend to have awesome soundtracks. The story in the games tends to be bad. Each thing that happens is an excuse to go somewhere and defeat a boss. Most of the stories have a gut-wrenching twist around halfway through. Action RPG, but it's not like Zelda. There's experience points and the focus is on action, although you occasionally get items that upgrade your character's movement or attacks. There's no puzzle solving and lots of enemies and platforming.

If you are looking for _the best_ Ys game in English right now, it is The Oath in Felghana, mostly because of it's great soundtrack. It will probably be this one once it's out, though. I am thinking it will be on sale during the Steam summer sale as it was for each of the last two years during that time. I think it's good enough for the $15 asking price, but it's just good sense to wait until the summer sale is over to pick it up if you're interested. It has a 94% positive rating on Steam which is just one point shy of "Overwhelmingly Positive", the best rating. Ys Origin is highly rated as well (95% positive).

Subtle Demise likes this.
  13. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    one of the best series out there. I remember playing the original book 1 and 2 on the turbo grafx 16 with my grandfather when I was a child. it's the series that got me into rpgs to begin with. I love it. :D

14. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    so glad it's back to it's zelda like style.

15. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Man, this reminds me that I still have to play all the other Ys games. It's one of those series that's been on the outskirts of my game life, always there but never played. I loaded up a rom of Ys I & II ages ago on my DS, but I didn't get very far into that. I think I'll definitely give Ys VIII a try.
    Oh, and for the uninitiated, I believe it's pronounced "Ease," not "yis".

16. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    ur correct. it's written as "ease" in Japanese katakana, so that's the official pronunciation. however, some official artwork shows it as y's even though the kana shows differently. there's definitely some confusion there.

17. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    [​IMG]

another way to say it is say geese without the G

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 29, 2017
    HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  18. Joshkinz

Joshkinz Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    United States
    Awesome, I've been looking forward to this.

19. LufianGuy

LufianGuy GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2008
    United States
    Bought the ps4 limited edition today to show support (will probably buy it on steam in a few years when it is cheap, I miss the daily flash deals so much!), thanks for being awesome Chary!

I feel like my support towards Yakuza paid a great deal back, so I hope the trend continues!