1. ital

OP ital GBAtemp Maniac

Love them or hate them there is no denying that 9 times out of 10 they impact the gaming world in beneficial ways plus 10 times out of 10 they have titles that offer the most pure gaming fun every generation round. Sure other peoples stuff might be shinier or another +1 addition in a long running franchise (now with a new hat!) or the same old same old with a new lick of paint but Nintendo keep on knocking it out of the park with their franchise players as they offer experiences that others simply cannot replicate the layer of polish.

All of this coming from someone that doesn't have a Switch, only got a Wii U recently and an n3DS once it went end of line and was cheap as I prefer buying a generation when its done and the best titles have floated to the top at the same time as the prices have sunk.

Don't get me wrong Sony have really made some immense leaps of late and each platform has its merit but there is something about the level of thought that goes into (and shows) in their titles that inspired this thread as I was playing Sonic 1 earlier on MD (arguably the best installment of that franchise as it was downhill after that) and was wondering how much better it would've been had Nintendo had a hand in it, follow me:

There would've been a "zone mode" where you could fly through the levels with perfectly timed button presses thanks to optimally placed obstacles and scenery. Sonic 1 is the title that comes closest to that but you can still spot the "stitching" where certain chunks are stuck together and it feels a bit clunky whereas say any of the 2D Marios from SMW have the placement down to a T so everything lines up so smoothly. Little touches like that as well as Dpads, 4 face buttons, shoulder buttons, analog triggers, motion sensing, wireless controllers etc.. that they continually innovate to push the field as a whole further.

Shine on you crazy nose rubbing gangsters of the East.

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    Nintendo is far from innocent. They have had plenty of cases of "another +1 addition in a long running franchise (now with a new hat!) or the same old same old with a new lick of paint". Every New Super Mario Bros. game is exactly the same, every 3D Mario and every Zelda follows more or less the same story with few exceptions. Pokemon is especially bad, but I'm not sure if it's Game Freak or Nintendo that made the decision to keep mainline Pokemon the exact same generation after generation, so I'm not sure who to blame there.
    The vast majority of their games are just plain fun, though, and that's what really matters. And they are always well put together, combining to form a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. I never feel like a game gets too tedious or boring, the pacing always feels right, and there's enough going on and enough variety to keep me hooked.

3. ital

OP ital GBAtemp Maniac

I think we have differing opinions of what a +1 game is. Whilst I'd say that the entire NSMB line is a lazy rehash cash grab par excellence (even though folks say the Wii U version is supposed to be SMW level fun, haven't tried) to say the 3D Marios and Zeldas fall in that category is a nope.

Sure they stick to the same basic story every time but its how the game plays that makes it what it is and in that sense the evolution from SM64>SMG>SM3DW is immense as they keep on refining and refining to distill the absolute best platforming experience which is familiar yet new at the same time but always fun.

Compare that to say a FIFA title or a COD where very often they literally change nothing. Thats what I call a +1 where at least 50% of the game code has obviously been recycled and the remaining 50% is a new hat as the core gameplay hasn't changed, evolved or been dramatically overhauled.

Fully agree with your last comment about plain fun, well put together, perfect pacing and variety as play a Nintendo game always feels like an event as they are a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stagnant genre.

4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Interesting observation.

From my stance, I see Nintendo as doing two things much better than the competition :
    1) their focus groups are kids. Not to say that adults are excluded, but they're not whom the games are for.
    And this isn't just a marketing decision, but it's part of every nook and cranny of what they do. They're not in it for the technology or to be hip, but just want to appeal to children.
    2) they own what they make. Sure, third party development is a nice to have, but they foremost want to sell their own console and games.

I could agree to the criticism that they have a lot of rehashes as well, but you're mostly comparing apples to oranges. Fifa nor CoD are first part titles. If EA had played their cards better, these same games would be on the Switch.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - appreciate, Nintendo, really