Youtube's New Gaming Website Launching Tomorrow, AUG 26TH

YTG-Family-664x308.png

Tomorrow, Youtube is launching its brand new competitor to the streaming titan that is Twitch.tv.

According to YouTube’s blog post, the site will host over 25,000 pages, each dedicated to their own video game. On top of that, the service will also offer familiar features, such as channels that users can subscribe to.

“Keeping up with these games and channels is now super easy, too. Add a game to your collection for quick access whenever you want to check up on the latest videos. Subscribe to a channel, and you’ll get a notification as soon as they start a live stream. Uncover new favorites with recommendations based on the games and channels you love. And when you want something specific, you can search with confidence, knowing that typing “call” will show you ‘Call of Duty’ and not ‘Call Me Maybe.’ "

You can reach this site, by going to:
:arrow: https://gaming.youtube.com/
or by downloading the IOS/Android app that will be launching tomorrow alongide the new website.

As someone who's entertainment content is derived from livestreams and let's plays, this new development could once again change the way we view gaming entertainment on a regular basis.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's crazy how "let's play" videos are so popular. Last year when the South Park season finale episodes came, I first learned at how ridiculously over these kind of videos are. How a guy like PewDiePie is a celebrity, that has an income (no matter how much it really is) just for sounding like an annoying tool trying to be funny and play video games. I only watch the ones from Cinemassacre, obviously keeping up with whatever the Angry Video Game Nerd does, as a fan dating back to 2007. Overall though, I'm not interested in other videos of that ilk. But good news for those that benefit.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's crazy how "let's play" videos are so popular. Last year when the South Park season finale episodes came, I first learned at how ridiculously over these kind of videos are. How a guy like PewDiePie is a celebrity, that has an income (no matter how much it really is) just for sounding like an annoying tool trying to be funny and play video games. I only watch the ones from Cinemassacre, obviously keeping up with whatever the Angry Video Game Nerd does, as a fan dating back to 2007. Overall though, I'm not interested in other videos of that ilk. But good news for those that benefit.

It really depends on the entertainer as well. I'm not a huge fan of PewDiePie, but I don't dislike his videos. I typically watch Game Grumps, Smosh, Markiplier, SeaNanners, etc. I think it's a legitimate form of entertainment that can get someone paid for. People jump on YouTube showing off what they can, and they either get noticed or not. It's no different than a comedian scheduling themselves to shows, and seeing if they'll get noticed or not, or bands that jump in as guests for gigs (I think A Day To Remember did just that, they just played shows they weren't even signed up for, and look at them now). It's more about the material rather than the media.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really depends on the entertainer as well. I'm not a huge fan of PewDiePie, but I don't dislike his videos. I typically watch Game Grumps, Smosh, Markiplier, SeaNanners, etc. I think it's a legitimate form of entertainment that can get someone paid for. People jump on YouTube showing off what they can, and they either get noticed or not. It's no different than a comedian scheduling themselves to shows, and seeing if they'll get noticed or not, or bands that jump in as guests for gigs (I think A Day To Remember did just that, they just played shows they weren't even signed up for, and look at them now). It's more about the material rather than the media.
I couldn't agree more. Everyone complains at how they are making money off of playing video games, and I'm just like.....I would love to do this. And I'm sure the complainers would if they could to. But they can't, and that's why it bothers them. I find it entertaining to see reactions and here stories. It's why I enjoy Game Grumps and Markiplier. I hope one day I could do this too, if only I had a webcam or some funny friends to banter with haha

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Just to add on, personality of the Youtuber plays a major role as well. I just find it really annoying that people complaint about how some Youtubers are making so much money as it accomplish nothing. If those people have time to post comments to complaint, they could try to make Youtube videos that people would enjoy watching.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies
D

Deleted User

Coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of streamers who play games I might give this a shot. The main issue I had with Twitch was how badly the service was on devices that use anything other than windows, so I had difficulty trying to get behind any streams. It'd be cool if the service was launched off with companies streaming footage of their up coming games to show off both the quality of the site and the quality of their games.

That being said, if its anything like their current streaming service im going to steer very clear away from it.

Last edited by ,

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
The thing is, however dumb or weird they act. I find the majority of youtube and twitch streamers more entertaining than 90% of tv now. Barring a few shows like NCIS or if i watch sport. I would say Markiplier is my most watched "show" right now. Even tho he is going a bit too scripted and fake with his newer videos. I dont like watching pewdiepie or that other popular Irish streamer but i have nothing against them making money for doing something they love. I have a couple thousand views on my channel for doing covers of music myself so im not going to hate on others for doing the same.

On topic: This is good news, i like twitch but a youtube style version of it cant be a bad thing. I just wonder if they will implement it with the consoles? Specifically in my case or the PS4. Coz the twitch streaming on PS4 is fantastic.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

I wonder how insane YouTube Gaming raids are gonna be. I kinda have a feeling that they could be worse than Twitch raids. Anyways, I may give this a go once I get an actually good mic that's not my laptop microphone, since that picks up every sound in the goddamn house.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not a fan of let's plays and streaming mainly as I like video content edited, and scripting/ a bit of pre planning does not hurt either.

That said from what I have seen youtube already had the technically better interface for those doing the streaming. Other than intertia I got the impression it was twitch's slightly more... relaxed attitude towards copyright that ensured they still had their fans.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seems...pointless? The things that make Twitch shitty are about the same on youtube, if not worse. So they're essentially two platforms that will do the same thing. People established on Twitch likely wont move over, and youtube video makers likely wont suddenly jump on livestreaming given it's a monumental pain in the ass to set up properly.

Youtube clearly wants a piece of the pie, but it took way too long to go for it. Twitch already ate it all.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, comment section is not really going beat usable. Lol Anyone think they can be twitch?

You or I... probably not. Youtube already has the audience for video, including an audience for computer games, the field tested streaming and video infrastructure, the advertising clout to make it happen and as this seems less like a token effort (we already know they have people closely monitoring trends in videos) then probably got some people to provide a draw for the service.
To that end it is probably going to come down to them vs twitch on the monetisation and copyright policies, with many seemingly favouring Twitch's more favourable and relaxed policies over the previous/current youtube setup.

Wonder if I could set up a dual streaming service.

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm more interested in how "Adult friendly" this is gonna be, from what I remember Twitch doesn't let men be shirtless on cam. Be nice if there was a more laid back streaming site.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
I just hope this won't be this ugly system where all the rules are made up. The idea of a youtube site dedicated solely to the most money-making aspect of Youtube just worries me somehow.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I REALLY HOPE Lets Plays are BANNED or MOVED from YouTube- like a hard rule of "YOU MUST POST VIDEO GAME RELATED CONTENT ON THIS NEW SITE."
I want to be able to search and find something without digging past Lets Plays.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I REALLY HOPE Lets Plays are BANNED or MOVED from YouTube- like a hard rule of "YOU MUST POST VIDEO GAME RELATED CONTENT ON THIS NEW SITE."
I want to be able to search and find something without digging past Lets Plays.
That would be retarded, but it seems you haven't got a clue what this actually is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.