Youtube's New Gaming Website Launching Tomorrow, AUG 26TH

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by chavosaur, Aug 26, 2015.

1. chavosaur
    OP

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    [​IMG]
    Tomorrow, Youtube is launching its brand new competitor to the streaming titan that is Twitch.tv.

You can reach this site, by going to:
    :arrow: https://gaming.youtube.com/
    or by downloading the IOS/Android app that will be launching tomorrow alongide the new website.

As someone who's entertainment content is derived from livestreams and let's plays, this new development could once again change the way we view gaming entertainment on a regular basis.

2. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    It's crazy how "let's play" videos are so popular. Last year when the South Park season finale episodes came, I first learned at how ridiculously over these kind of videos are. How a guy like PewDiePie is a celebrity, that has an income (no matter how much it really is) just for sounding like an annoying tool trying to be funny and play video games. I only watch the ones from Cinemassacre, obviously keeping up with whatever the Angry Video Game Nerd does, as a fan dating back to 2007. Overall though, I'm not interested in other videos of that ilk. But good news for those that benefit.

nxwing, cracker and Subtle Demise like this.
  3. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    It really depends on the entertainer as well. I'm not a huge fan of PewDiePie, but I don't dislike his videos. I typically watch Game Grumps, Smosh, Markiplier, SeaNanners, etc. I think it's a legitimate form of entertainment that can get someone paid for. People jump on YouTube showing off what they can, and they either get noticed or not. It's no different than a comedian scheduling themselves to shows, and seeing if they'll get noticed or not, or bands that jump in as guests for gigs (I think A Day To Remember did just that, they just played shows they weren't even signed up for, and look at them now). It's more about the material rather than the media.

4. Awesomeaustin316

Awesomeaustin316 Shiro

May 28, 2015
    United States
    I couldn't agree more. Everyone complains at how they are making money off of playing video games, and I'm just like.....I would love to do this. And I'm sure the complainers would if they could to. But they can't, and that's why it bothers them. I find it entertaining to see reactions and here stories. It's why I enjoy Game Grumps and Markiplier. I hope one day I could do this too, if only I had a webcam or some funny friends to banter with haha

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  5. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    Just to add on, personality of the Youtuber plays a major role as well. I just find it really annoying that people complaint about how some Youtubers are making so much money as it accomplish nothing. If those people have time to post comments to complaint, they could try to make Youtube videos that people would enjoy watching.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  6. king_leo

king_leo Real Hero

Sep 12, 2009
    De RigueurMortis
    Coming from someone who isn't the biggest fan of streamers who play games I might give this a shot. The main issue I had with Twitch was how badly the service was on devices that use anything other than windows, so I had difficulty trying to get behind any streams. It'd be cool if the service was launched off with companies streaming footage of their up coming games to show off both the quality of the site and the quality of their games.

That being said, if its anything like their current streaming service im going to steer very clear away from it.

Last edited by king_leo, Aug 26, 2015
  7. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    The thing is, however dumb or weird they act. I find the majority of youtube and twitch streamers more entertaining than 90% of tv now. Barring a few shows like NCIS or if i watch sport. I would say Markiplier is my most watched "show" right now. Even tho he is going a bit too scripted and fake with his newer videos. I dont like watching pewdiepie or that other popular Irish streamer but i have nothing against them making money for doing something they love. I have a couple thousand views on my channel for doing covers of music myself so im not going to hate on others for doing the same.

On topic: This is good news, i like twitch but a youtube style version of it cant be a bad thing. I just wonder if they will implement it with the consoles? Specifically in my case or the PS4. Coz the twitch streaming on PS4 is fantastic.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  8. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I wonder how insane YouTube Gaming raids are gonna be. I kinda have a feeling that they could be worse than Twitch raids. Anyways, I may give this a go once I get an actually good mic that's not my laptop microphone, since that picks up every sound in the goddamn house.

9. vayanui8

vayanui8 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    United States
    I personally don't care for lets plays at all, but Hopefully this works out for those who do.

nxwing and Tomato Hentai like this.
  10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not a fan of let's plays and streaming mainly as I like video content edited, and scripting/ a bit of pre planning does not hurt either.

That said from what I have seen youtube already had the technically better interface for those doing the streaming. Other than intertia I got the impression it was twitch's slightly more... relaxed attitude towards copyright that ensured they still had their fans.

11. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Seems...pointless? The things that make Twitch shitty are about the same on youtube, if not worse. So they're essentially two platforms that will do the same thing. People established on Twitch likely wont move over, and youtube video makers likely wont suddenly jump on livestreaming given it's a monumental pain in the ass to set up properly.

Youtube clearly wants a piece of the pie, but it took way too long to go for it. Twitch already ate it all.

nxwing, Margen67 and Tomato Hentai like this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Keep that myspace account there, Hells Malice. People will be back any day now.

13. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Yeah, comment section is not really going be usable. Lol Anyone think they can beat twitch?

Last edited by KingVamp, Aug 26, 2015
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    You or I... probably not. Youtube already has the audience for video, including an audience for computer games, the field tested streaming and video infrastructure, the advertising clout to make it happen and as this seems less like a token effort (we already know they have people closely monitoring trends in videos) then probably got some people to provide a draw for the service.
    To that end it is probably going to come down to them vs twitch on the monetisation and copyright policies, with many seemingly favouring Twitch's more favourable and relaxed policies over the previous/current youtube setup.

Wonder if I could set up a dual streaming service.

15. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    I'm more interested in how "Adult friendly" this is gonna be, from what I remember Twitch doesn't let men be shirtless on cam. Be nice if there was a more laid back streaming site.

16. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    iirc its gonna be UK and USA only or something like that which sucks.

17. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    German people probably not going to be able to see livestreams just like regular youtube livestreams so yay.

18. linkenski

linkenski GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2008
    Denmark
    I just hope this won't be this ugly system where all the rules are made up. The idea of a youtube site dedicated solely to the most money-making aspect of Youtube just worries me somehow.

19. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I REALLY HOPE Lets Plays are BANNED or MOVED from YouTube- like a hard rule of "YOU MUST POST VIDEO GAME RELATED CONTENT ON THIS NEW SITE."
    I want to be able to search and find something without digging past Lets Plays.

20. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    That would be retarded, but it seems you haven't got a clue what this actually is.

VinsCool, Nightwish and Subtle Demise like this.