youtube videos on the Nintendo DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by picketf, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010
  1. picketf
    OP

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    We have a libfaad2-2.5 - AAC decoder library in Moonshell which does mpeg-4 decoding and there are at least 2 other projects that handle xvid/mpeg4 on the DS.

For 3pg videos of the mobile youtube http://m.youtube.com to play on the DS the amr audio needs to be remuxed into the file as something the moonshell libs support

the latest version of bunjallow (v0.8) is able to access m.youtube just fine but needs to modify the http request for the real time streaming protocoll (rtsp://) to download into a container file instead of streaming. Downloading files with bunjallow works just fine at the moment so it's very possible.

So the question is: Anyone willing to make a 3pg converter for DS?? Or a hack of libfaad to at least play back the video in moonshell for starters?

Are there any open source 3pg decoder libraries available that could be ported? (Sorry if this has been asked 1 million times before, just making sure here.)

EDIT:
    there seems to be some open source projects which could be used to support AMR in moonshell
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Mult...oftware_support
    Also FFmpeg decodes 3gp so it may not be impossible after all

2. cearp

Member cearp the ticket master

Tuvalu
    you might as well tell the guy what is wrong, instead of being so 'cool'...
    he seems to be asking a nice question with thought, not some one line give me youtube kind of thing.
    [​IMG]

3. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    If you were going to say the DSi can't play flash files then you're stupid, please leave.

This should work if there was a converter or an application that can directly stream the files correctly. The question is whether or not the DSi would be able to handle the conversion process...it should be able to handle the streaming (especially if you're on a DS Lite with a ram expansion).

If I recall correctly the ipod touch uses a similar method to what OP is thinking about in it's custom youtube app (it of course doesn't involve flash). OP, what I suggest you do is go on google and find some good sites of programmers that may be able to code for the DS (they can use an emulator for testing if they don't have one).

4. picketf
    OP

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    The initial thought I had was about a converter that would convert 3pg to dpg on the fly (for youtube vids 5 mins and under) as an app for the DS.

But now I think a library that'd play the 3pg in moonshell would be much more favourable and since there's a handfull of open source projects available it's only a matter of time and skill to do it.

3pg play back on cell phones with 10 mhz cpus or less so even a GBA could technically handle it

Right now I use DS2Win to download 3pg vids from youtube to my PC then use my old DS Phat with DSFTP loaded to transfer the 3pg files to it... Then get the microSD out of it and stick it up my cellphone (second hand Sony Ericsson K700i picked up on ebay for 10 bucks). I wish I wouldn't have to use 3 devices and a PC for this though

5. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Its certainly possible to be able to run 3GP videos on a DS and with a bit of coding we might be able to make a DS Youtube (if at mobile internet levels of quality) using the DS RAM expansion.
    Of course we need some coders for such a project and for all I know the idea may already have been explored, the problem probably lies in whether the DS can handle connecting, streaming a file to RAM, decoding and displaying all at once. Although a phone can do it, phones are quite powerful these days, according to one site I've found my old K800i had a 210mhz processor and that thing's 2-3 years old!

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    At the moment, my method is simple:

Watch video.
    Like video.
    Download video.
    Convert video.
    Transfer video.
    Win.

7. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    IF you observe in Batch DPG there is a youtube video.
    Just insert the link of the video and it should convert it for you.

8. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Mines simpler.

Watch Video.
    Like Video.
    Download Video.
    Transfer Video to Iplayer.
    Win.

[​IMG]

9. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    We know, we're just curious as to whether the DS can actually be made to stream the mobile versions of Youtube videos. My guess is that it most likely has no chance but since its 3gp encoding (to my knowledge anyway) it has potential as 3gp is pretty light in terms of codecs

10. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    this looks very interesting, I would be very interested to see it happening. One question: can any of you people code? You seem to have good knowledge, but without someone to write the actual code, this project won't go anywhere. I seriously hope you find someone to code this as it would be pretty awesome to have either streaming or downloadable youtube on the DS.

11. picketf
    OP

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    The DS does not need to stream the 3gp files

Only bunjallow needs to do is change how to handle rtsp urls to adding a http equiv handler that downloads the stream same way there used to be ASF/ASX downloaders who instead of streaming the files would download them into a container file. The server (youtube) has no way of knowing whether you are streaming or downloading in sequence to a file.

Right now I use a modified K-Meleon build on the PC to change how to handle streaming of 3pg files and it downloads them just fine to my pc by clicking on the image

all we need is an attempt at porting an open source 3pg decoder either to a separate app or better create a library compatible with moonshell

EDIT:
    If anyone is interested in how to make "rtsp://" content downloadable like I did, check out openRTSP source is included with the program (that's how I made my hack)

12. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    So can you download youtube videos as 3gp direct to your ds from a wifi hotspot without a PC, or do you need a PC?

13. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    You could grab the urls of said videos you like, input them into an online converter, then download them.
    All of this could be done through the DS via a homebrew browser, but it would be terribly slow. :/

EDIT: Vixy.net is down. Well, just google-up another one if you wanna try it that badly.

14. picketf
    OP

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    That's the idea

to implement a way in bunjallow of saving streams from mobile youtube to a 3gp file (rtsp can be tricked into doing that over tcp/http)

3gp is basically a low bitrate mpeg-4 video with AMR sound.
    Amr has the advantage of storing a wide range of audio bandwith and let the conditions decide how good sound quality should be - ranging in between 4,75 - 12,2 kbits/s it's in a way similar to VBR only that the full bandwith may or may not be predetermined when the file is encoded (that's not a problem on the youtube site where all videos share the same encoding but certain sites will bump I found out).

Having said that the low audio bandwith together with the low video bandwith allow for smaller files a "stream" of a 1 minute youtube video is just around 250kb big. A file that big takes around 30-40 seconds to download in bunjallow (I regularly download 600kb jpegs on it and including the on screen rendering it takes around 60-90 seconds to download them)

I don't think that's a long time to wait specially since one can chat in Mc Donalds meanwhile plus many parks have free wifi in my area.

3gp was designed for GSM (56k lines) and later 3G (1 mega lines - normally) the server latency using the 3G technology is famously very bad... the normal 3G user will get 350ms latency from google that can go up to 1000-2000ms on peak hours. For high bitrate streams this would be a bummer so the 1mbit is only good for downloads (and may time-out on those too)

15. picketf
    OP

Newcomer picketf Member

Fiji
    As I understand it the wifi lib is locked at about 15kb/s and that's what keeping the download speed a little slow on the homebrew. DSLinux goes up to 100kb/s and a Linux port of openRTSP would be even easier since it's a command prompt app anyway.

Still 15kb/s is 3x as fast as your average 56k modem
    youtube's slow, but still okay for the patient [​IMG]

16. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    It's not just the wifi lib locked at 15kb/s, it's the actual hardware. This was changed on the DSi, with increased speed and compatibility for the wifi. :3

17. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    If the hardware was locked at 15 KB/s, then DSLinux wouldn't be able to reach speeds of up to 100 KB/s. DSLinux uses a highly modified version of the wifi library, which is why it's difficult to compare the two.

18. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Whatever happened to this project?!?! it seems like everyone forgot about this thread.

19. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Probably because nobody in the topic has the ability to code it. It's just people saying "hey it would be cool if this happened"

20. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Look, I'm not going to act as if I know how to code. I would however like to know what exctly would it take to make a Youtube App for the DS. Is there a cell phone app that we can look at or use as an example of how things could be done? Please lets not go through more hate rants but I would really like to see some constructive tech talk. Maybe some bright mind might be able to pull something cool out [​IMG]