Homebrew ¿Youtube + Html5 = Watch videos in DSi?

nintenderonico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Youtube has launched its version HTML5, but it is still beta.
This version does not need flash support in browsers.

So
lecture.gif
... You could see youtube videos on the DSi?

Sorry for my english , I am spanish
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the browser is upgraded to support HTML5 it should be, there is a bit of hesitation as to what formats are being supported though (OGG vs H264).

Out of the box it is not going to happen though.

nintenderonico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
If the browser is upgraded to support HTML5 it should be, there is a bit of hesitation as to what formats are being supported though (OGG vs H264).

Out of the box it is not going to happen though.
Hopefully nintendo updates the browser with support HTML5

dnniwa485

Trophies
XP
Country
OGG is a container... and cant be compared in H.264 which is that format is a elementary video codec..

FLV (is a container also)primarily, FLV uses uses ... Mpeg2 >> Mpeg4 format in video and mp3 for audio... (same with moonshell's video codec format which is mpeg2 and and mpeg4)

the primary problem is...

is DS/i can play H.264 format videos or 380p or greater resolution that youtube uses? huh? i guess it cant on DS ... dunno on DSi cause no homebrew yet that uses full potential of DSi Power.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Actually, FLV is more compressed while h.264 is a mpeg video. not a container. i assume DSi will have not as much trouble playing h.264 than flv.

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
MrGlenneke said:
Buy a phone with wi-fi -> you can watch youtube video's on your phone.
It's very easy, isn't it?
logo4.gif

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SITES LOGO
"The largest gba and DS community on the web. Its not just yahoo-answer-problem-solve-a-problem-bullshit...

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought. I'm no expert. I wonder if someone could add HTML5 support in bunjalloo. If the answer is no please don't just say a sarcastic "no" but give us a technical reason on why. Learning is half the battle and whether the answer is yes or no to any one of my questions I post on GBATemp, I still want to lean something.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MrGlenneke said:
GTFO
biggrin.gif

Ontopic: Maybe, Nintendo and Opera will update the browser, but I'm still not sure if they'll ever allow YouTube vids though. We'll probably have to wait for the DS2 if we want stuff like that.

aneotoena

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WioWao said:
MrGlenneke said:
logo4.gif

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS SITES LOGO
"The largest gba and DS community on the web. Its not just yahoo-answer-problem-solve-a-problem-bullshit...

You didn't get the sarcasm.

For the bunjallo thing. It is actually posible to make the support for HTML5 but even doing that doesn't mean the DS will ever handle youtube's h.264.

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Bunjallo has a hard enough time displaying text-webpages, let alone the idea of decompressing and rendering streaming video with 4mb of ram, and only 66mhz or processing power? And you guys want a technical explaination on why html5 is a stupid idea for bunjallo? Its called common sense.

Them fancy cell phones nowadays have 400+mhz cpus, 128+MB of ram, and special decoder chips to help with rendering the video.

Apples and Oranges.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
LightyKD said:
Just a thought. I'm no expert. I wonder if someone could add HTML5 support in bunjalloo. If the answer is no please don't just say a sarcastic "no" but give us a technical reason on why. Learning is half the battle and whether the answer is yes or no to any one of my questions I post on GBATemp, I still want to lean something.
No. 'nuff said.

Technical Answer: Lemme see... The DS/Lite has two processors. ARM7 and ARM9. ARM7 running at 33MHz and is used for wireless, audio, touch screen and power management (yes. sleep mode). ARM9 (66MHz) is for the video and main computations so we cross ARM7 out leaving only ARM9 to decode the audio. H.264 requires MUCH more power to decode. (Heck, it even skips frames and freezes with a 1.3GHz CPU). I Think it MAY be possible with some external hardware (I guess even MORE what iPlayer and SCDS2 have) but we will not see such flashcarts soon.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a thought, youtube hosts 360p as their smallest, but the DS screen is only 192p.
So, lol.

That being said, Moonshell has trouble just showing a DPG video at times, you ever had slowdown when there's a lot of movement on screen?

Now put that together with rendering together the webpage, and a whole bunch of other processes.
I don't think HTML5 video is a possibility on the DSi, even with the slightly boosted power.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
RupeeClock said:
Just a thought, youtube hosts 360p as their smallest, but the DS screen is only 192p.
So, lol.

That being said, Moonshell has trouble just showing a DPG video at times, you ever had slowdown when there's a lot of movement on screen?

Now put that together with rendering together the webpage, and a whole bunch of other processes.
I don't think HTML5 video is a possibility on the DSi, even with the slightly boosted power.
It's not about movement. It's about the bitrate and how much data there is in one frame. And also how fast moonshell2 clear's its buffer

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Youtube upscales their small videos from 320x240, actually.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/youtu...essor_gary.html
This is an old page, but youtube still uses many of the same techniques. Download the low-quality .flv of a video and confirm the resolution for yourself.

But yeah, it's not that much better than 360p. ^^;

WioWao

Trophies
XP
Country
fgghjjkll said:
RupeeClock said:
So, lol.

It's not about movement. It's about the bitrate and how much data there is in one frame. And also how fast moonshell2 clear's its buffer
Thats what he meant doh. DPG/MPEG2 uses deltaframes that only contains data about what moved from the last frame. If there is a stationary background then only moving parts are encoded in the next frames. So yes it is about movement
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr