Gaming YouTube has bad music quality?

thehatergator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so apparently youtube has nad music quality i usually only listen to remixs and mashups on there do you guys know if i could make the quality higher or download from somewhere else?

Reactions: naddel81

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Youtube always compresses audio to ~126 kbits AAC now, which is fine enough if you don't get a boner for audio quality, but if you want something that actually sounds good then yes you'll need to use a different service for listening. Unfortunately, if whatever remixes or mashups you listen to are uploaded on Youtube only and the uploader doesn't provide uncompressed audio separately, you'll be stuck with whatever Youtube shits out.

Reactions: smileyhead

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably as good as it's gonna get on youtube. NOTE: opus uses 48000hz sample rate compared to m4a AAC 44100 sample rate. (Not sure if it matters to anyone) :ninja:

upload_2020-8-15_11-40-53.png

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Probably as good as it's gonna get on youtube. NOTE: opus uses 48000hz sample rate compared to m4a AAC 44100 sample rate. (Not sure if it matters to anyone) :ninja:

View attachment 221552
128kbps Opus is about as good as 320kbps MP3, but i believe only select videos are encoded to Opus, and of course it also depends on the source audio being uploaded in a high enough quality. It will probably be rolled out to all videos eventually though, at least newly uploaded ones.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
128kbps Opus is about as good as 320kbps MP3, but i believe only select videos are encoded to Opus, and of course it also depends on the source audio being uploaded in a high enough quality. It will probably be rolled out to all videos eventually though, at least newly uploaded ones.
I don't know for fact. But I noticed that youtube always have opus videos encoded along with the mp4 ones. The opus goes with webm video format and the VP9 stuff, while the MP4 is the common AAC/AVC.

Weirdly enough, if you use vlc player to try and play a youtube video using the url, it only plays the 720P version if available even if the video supports higher than that. Only way to play those on VLC is to use the HD video links and even then, it's "adaptive" so it's split from the audio. Assuming the list I posted uses one M4A file for all mp4 files, the Webm changes with the resolution. The highest bitrate for HD and lower ones for less.

This is all weird to begin with, since it comes off as the youtube video player streams video and audio file from two separate source like merging a MKV file. :blink:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I don't know for fact. But I noticed that youtube always have opus videos encoded along with the mp4 ones. The opus goes with webm video format and the VP9 stuff, while the MP4 is the common AAC/AVC.

Weirdly enough, if you use vlc player to try and play a youtube video using the url, it only plays the 720P version if available even if the video supports higher than that. Only way to play those on VLC is to use the HD video links and even then, it's "adaptive" so it's split from the audio. Assuming the list I posted uses one M4A file for all mp4 files, the Webm changes with the resolution. The highest bitrate for HD and lower ones for less.

This is all weird to begin with, since it comes off as the youtube video player streams video and audio file from two separate source like merging a MKV file. :blink:
I think it was a few months ago I first heard of Opus on YouTube and at the time it was apparently only for select videos. Guess it just took them a while to re-encode everything.
Wait, VLC can play YouTube URLs directly? I've been using youtube-dl for that.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I think it was a few months ago I first heard of Opus on YouTube and at the time it was apparently only for select videos. Guess it just took them a while to re-encode everything.
Wait, VLC can play YouTube URLs directly? I've been using youtube-dl for that.
There's always an Opus audio track, no matter the video encoding status. Main VP9 track is what depends on the video popularity.

You can force further conversion on any video tho. Just go here: https://www.youtube.com/enhance?v=ID, don't change anything, just click Save. There won't be any change in the video but it will be encoded to VP9. Long videos (5+ hours) dont have this option.

Last edited by Deleted member 323844,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu