YouTube for iPhone hits App Store

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To compensate the loss of the native YouTube app on iOS, Google promised to release a YouTube app on the App Store. It has arrived.

- Tens of thousands more videos: Watch official music videos like Taylor's latest hit.
- New YouTube channel guide: Swipe your finger from the left edge of the screen to reveal a guide with your subscribed channels on YouTube, giving you instant access to everything from Alli Sports to YOMYOMF.
- Find awesome videos faster: Get to videos like "Gangnam Style" faster with new search tools that give suggestions while you type, and let you sort through videos or channels. Flip through related videos, comments and more info, all while watching a video.
- More ways to share with the people you love: Share that incredible video you found on YouTube on Google+, Facebook or text message in the app, as well as from Twitter and email.

A native iPad app is in the works as well. It's a free app from the App Store.

However,
For the first time in a native iOS experience, YouTube will show pre-roll adds ahead of its mobile videos. That's the bad news.

The good news is that with more monetization comes more content. Thanks to mobile ad capabilities baked into its own app, YouTube will unlock tens of thousands of music videos from VEVO and others that were not viewable on the old app.

It's still kinda nice. Hopefully it has HQ over 3G.

SOURCE
http://www.macrumors...app-for-iphone/

DIRECT APPSTORE LINK (Tap this on your iOS device!)
http://itunes.apple....d544007664?mt=8

Be sure to take note that this app is NOT iPad native. An iPad app is in the works. For some of you who cannot find the app (myself included), I've added the direct link above.

Reactions: 1 person

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
On the android, you get the youtube app. Interestingly, somehow it is loading "through" google because the WIFI connection I have allows one to use google freely e.g. translate.google.com or google.com search or docs.google.com etc.
Now for some reason, youtube is loading "through" google and I can watch all I want without having to buy an account of any sort.

I wish this is true for this too. I doubt it.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
On the android, you get the youtube app. Interestingly, somehow it is loading "through" google because the WIFI connection I have allows one to use google freely e.g. translate.google.com or google.com search or docs.google.com etc.
Now for some reason, youtube is loading "through" google and I can watch all I want without having to buy an account of any sort.

You don't need any account to use YouTube on iPhone too...

So far so good. It's very polished. Have not tried using it on my super-shit 3G yet though. Unlike the android OS app, it does not have "High Quality on mobile" settings. Hopefully it gets added in future updates.

Oh and I simply love the expand function. I use all of my phones rotation locked, but these vids look darn small without rotation. Now I can watch in landscape without having to turn off my rotation switch. Good touch Google!

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I can't find it, I guess it's for IOS6 only (3GS with 5.1.1).

I hope there is some settings to choose the video quality.
Tap this straight from your 3GS:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/youtube/id544007664?mt=8

I couldn't find it on the App Store too until I tapped that. Will bring you straight to the store.

I'm using a 4S on 5.1.1 so it should work the same. iOS 6 isn't out yet btw.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Tap this straight from your 3GS:
http://itunes.apple....d544007664?mt=8

I couldn't find it on the App Store too until I tapped that. Will bring you straight to the store.

I'm using a 4S on 5.1.1 so it should work the same. iOS 6 isn't out yet btw.

Thank you! installed :)
It was indeed nowhere to be found on the app store (tried "YouTube" and "Google" to see all the apps made by google).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

Google owns youtube.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Added the App Store URL in the OP for people who are lazy asses to search in the source cannot find this app on the App Store.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm surprised Google is releasing this now, and without universal support from the get-go.

Oh well, it'll come eventually. I use my iPad for YouTube a lot when I wake up in th morning, so I guess this doesn't help me much. But if it's anything like the Android counterpart, it'll be cool.

Also, why should it have "high quality" on the iOS version? For now, the iPhone retina display isn't even 720p. So it'd be useless :P
As long as it's not TERRIBLE it'll be fine. And if it is terrible, it's more likely the fault of a shitty camera.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm surprised Google is releasing this now, and without universal support from the get-go.

Oh well, it'll come eventually. I use my iPad for YouTube a lot when I wake up in th morning, so I guess this doesn't help me much. But if it's anything like the Android counterpart, it'll be cool.

Also, why should it have "high quality" on the iOS version? For now, the iPhone retina display isn't even 720p. So it'd be useless :P
As long as it's not TERRIBLE it'll be fine. And if it is terrible, it's more likely the fault of a shitty camera.
You should see how horrible videos and sounds are when using the stock app on 3G, especially with headphones.

I'm kinda happy that they are making separate versions. The iPad version will definitely take full advantage of the 9.7" canvas. With the retina display on, it will look gorgeous. On the other hand, I'm a little disappointed that it will most likely not make it by iOS 6 release.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so useless. Just use your mobile browser. I ditched to app years ago. In fact I have it hidden.

iOS 6 isn't out yet btw.
Technically if you know where to look you can get your hands on the beta.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This is so useless. Just use your mobile browser. I ditched to app years ago. In fact I have it hidden.
This is a BRAND NEW app which is 1000...000X better than the stock app in terms of UI, performance, fluidity and all other stuff.

I'll probably use this app much more than Safari now. Only when I require 3G then I use Safari.

Plus now since its an App Store app, it'll have constant updates.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
So it is almost a confirmation that iOS 6 will not have YouTube included, and I think that is good news. Google will be able to do updates anytime with a separated app.

on http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/ they say that iOS 6 will come this fall, I think that it will come tomorrow (and tomorrow is summer there right?).

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

iOS 6 isn't out yet btw.
Technically if you know where to look you can get your hands on the beta.
I mean released publicly.

So it is almost a confirmation that iOS 6 will not have YouTube included, and I think that is good news. Google will be able to do updates anytime with a separated app.

On http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/ they say that iOS 6 will come this fall, I think that it will come tomorrow (and tomorrow is summer there right?).
It is already CONFIRMED that iOS 6 will ditch the stock YouTube because of contracts and stuff.
iOS 6 also has a lot of "features for China" stuff so I guess that's partly why they didn't renew the contract.

iOS 6 will most likely come at around Sep 14 - 16. iOS 5 was released a few days after the keynote, but 5.1 launched right after the iPad 3 presentation.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country

On http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/ they say that iOS 6 will come this fall, I think that it will come tomorrow (and tomorrow is summer there right?).
Its been confirmed for a while now. The Youtube app was present in initial iOS6 builds but was removed a month or 2 back. The upshot is that you get a good Youtube app now! The downshot is that Youtube links will just automatically open in Safari. Oh Apple... you always want us to do things with your apps.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never used the stock iOS YouTube app over 3G, so I didn't know.

But oh well. I don't plan to update to iOS 6 until the iPad app, because I use it too often for it to make sense to update.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

Its been confirmed for a while now. The Youtube app was present in initial iOS6 builds but was removed a month or 2 back. The upshot is that you get a good Youtube app now! The downshot is that Youtube links will just automatically open in Safari. Oh Apple... you always want us to do things with your apps.
In such a case, I actually prefer it to be on Safari.

It's fast and quicker to switch back to what you're doing.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
True but there are some videos you can't view on Safari because the user has checked the box so its only available on monetised platforms. At that point you're going to have to find the title of the video and then search it for yourself in the new Youtube app. True its better if you're in the middle of web browsing (actually I really wish that Android had Safari's way of playing Youtube. The flash players suuuuck) but from an e-mail or something it would be nice to be able to automatically open it in the dedicated Youtube app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat