YouTube & Crunchyroll apps ending support for Wii U

youtube-crunchyroll-wii-u-656x328.jpg

Both the YouTube and Crunchyroll apps for the WiiU are scheduled to end support by March of 2023.
However, their availability might end much sooner, since according to an update note on Google's site, the YouTube app will no longer be available on WiiU devices by October of 2022 (most likely referring to availability on the WiiU's eShop), advising users to instead use the YouTube app for Nintendo Switch.

At the same time, Crunchyroll rolled out several emails with the announcement that their app will no longer be available starting on August 29th, 2022.
It's been 10 years since the release of the WiiU back in 2012, and more services are ending support for it as time goes on.

:arrow: Source 1
:arrow: Source 2
:arrow: Source 3

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I guess, but it's so incredibly ugly to do. Many sites on wii u can hardly load pages fully or correctly. Missing images and just placing the clickable links out of place. The presentation makes a world of difference. I guess it's just lucky the videos are all playable since they are HTML and use the proper video codecs the wii u browser supports.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah I guess, but it's so incredibly ugly to do. Many sites on wii u can hardly load pages fully or correctly. Missing images and just placing the clickable links out of place. The presentation makes a world of difference. I guess it's just lucky the videos are all playable since they are HTML and use the proper video codecs the wii u browser supports.

YouTube through the browser works surprisingly well if you use the mobile version (m.youtube.com) and load it through the Android user agent.
That's how I get my daily dose of YouTube.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's worth pointing out tho that browsing YouTube through the WiiU browser is still a possibility, more so by playing around with the different browser agents through its settings.
Have you even tried to load YouTube through the Wii U browser lately? Let me just sum it up for you - lots of lag, with some pages not loading at all. It's really a hit and miss.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Have you even tried to load YouTube through the Wii U browser lately? Let me just sum it up for you - lots of lag, with some pages not loading at all. It's really a hit and miss.
It's still better than the YouTube app. Good luck looking up videos from your favorite creators without losing your patience.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I hardly have any lag at all, unless you're watching streams.
As I said, Android user agent and the mobile version of YouTube are still really functional, it has always been, even more than the awful official YouTube app, and it doesn't restrict you from still continue browsing while the video plays on the TV.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Genuine shame to see the Wii U lose the last of its major streaming apps, and I still used YouTube on it quite a bit. But at least getting rid of YouTube will open up one more title space on my filled Wii U.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
YouTube through the browser works surprisingly well if you use the mobile version (m.youtube.com) and load it through the Android user agent.
That's how I get my daily dose of YouTube.
The Android agent also works surprisingly well on online anime sites. The problem is sites like that usually have ads, and a good chunk are malicious pop ups. Maybe one day someone will port Firefox with support for extensions like uBlock.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The Android agent also works surprisingly well on online anime sites. The problem is sites like that usually have ads, and a good chunk are malicious pop ups. Maybe one day someone will port Firefox with support for extensions like uBlock.

Oh for sure. While the way the WiiU browser currently is quite serviceable, there will come a time where more and more sites will stop working on it (as quite a lot throw Error Code: 112-1035 already).
For that I do hope a more updated version of it can come for the U, or at least some kind of updated browser with blocking ads capabilities that allows for playing the videos on TV while the Gamepad can continue browsing.

There's no better way to browse than that imho

Reactions: Firexploit

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found Adblock Browser on Android has gotten pretty solid in recent years for watching those kinds of videos on your phone through a browser. Works great, maybe not quite as great as uBlock Origin as a plugin on your PC's browser, but it's still really solid on Android for what you're talking about.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've found Adblock Browser on Android has gotten pretty solid in recent years for watching those kinds of videos on your phone through a browser. Works great, maybe not quite as great as uBlock Origin as a plugin on your PC's browser, but it's still really solid on Android for what you're talking about.

From my research, Brave (based on Chromium) and Librewolf (based on Firefox) are the best in terms of safet, privacy and ad blocking features.
I'm inclined more towards Librewolf imo, but either are good choices.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't know they were still available lol

I like how the advice says users should instead use the YouTube app for Nintendo Switch.... They gonna buy me one? :rofl2::evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Thankfully the N64 had a metric ton of other fantastic games. I do kind of hate the controller...