Your web browser new tab shortcuts.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by FAST6191, Sep 26, 2013.

1. FAST6191
    OP

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Most modern web browsers have got onboard with the idea that new tabs can be shortcuts to various sites. Variously they can be the most popular, they can be premade tabs for whatever sites you want or they can be something else entirely.

If you fancy sharing then here is a thread where the subject is just that.
    Most of the time I use the "awesome bar" to go wherever I need to go. This works great with sites that have useful urls as well but occasionally I do like to type in random strings to see whatever youtube video pops up.

For the most part I let mine float with whatever but I do have a GBAtemp new threads ( http://gbatemp.net/find-new/threads?recent=1 ) and my router (mainly a holdover from when the cabinet down the end of the road saw engineers there every other day). Whatever else is there tends to be whatever news, site or other such thing I am finding most amusing at the moment (or more likely found amusing, rinsed the entire site for content and now ignore until it builds up a back catalogue).

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Yay Opera speed dial <3
    Got a lot of sites on speed dial.
    Loved the feature ever since it got introduced into Opera.

3. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    always found the feature useless. So I have nothing set on mine since i've always ignored it.

Of course I save my tabs so I don't re-open things like GBAtemp daily. Its always up 24/7, same with dozens of other tabs I use.

calmwaters likes this.
  4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Isn't this what the bookmark system is for? Granted, it's pretty awful on IE (which nobody uses anyway), but it's still nice. I have websites/pages in my bookmarks section that would be a pain to open when I clicked on a new tab. And, if it wasn't the webpage I wanted to go to in the first place, I'd still have to pick the bookmark linking to that site.

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Yeah I just type a character or three into the awesome bar myself nowadays. I used to use the speed dial stuff when I kept up with webcomics and such so I could check them all quickly without forgetting, but meh on that now.

6. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    While IE's usage share has been steadily going down, there is still 11.8% of web users using IE.
    Surprised it went down that low, tbh. I thought it was still at least 30% of people using IE.

7. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    Hmmm, I didn't have much use of the bookmark in browsers. I only check a few forums, few webcomics, a dozen anime fansub groups and a few blogs. For blogs, webcomics and anime fansub releases I use feedly to get news of new releases. I also use AMR extension for chrome to keep track of manga scanlations release. I don't have much to do in the internet so those are the only stuff I mostly do online.