Your thoughts on AC3?

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, I'm a huge AC fan. Have been since the very first and still love that game to death.

I preordered AC3, went to the midnight release, was stoked for the game.

So I pop it in, start playing, so far I'm kind of not that impressed. I'm really not having fun as playing as Haytham. There are a few gameplay parts that kind of irritate me with the jumping and such.

Maybe it's just me, but it feels like ever since Patrice Désilets left, the games have been getting more and more different from AC2. I still think AC2 is the best one in the series, and then Brotherhood and Revelations changed the formula, and now AC3 is as well. I want to get in this game, but fuck, I don't want to play as Haytham and do these retarded missions.

I'm also not a fan of the whole optional objectives thing that AC has going for it now. It's stupid.

Anyways, that's my thoughts so far, what are yours?

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I haven't played it yet, but plan on doing it next month when the PC version hits.
I think Brotherhood is the best game in the series, superb locations (Colosseum, fuck yeah) and cool missions, also really really liked the country around around Rome, where you could ride your horse and do some cool combo's.
Looking forward to AC3, I've heard there's again a plethora of collectible shit (feathers, animus fragments, flags, ingredients (?), ....) and that's never a bad thing IMHO.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I've been spending some time in it. I'm in sequence 8, and I have to say, this is the worst Assassin's Creed game. I thought Revelations was bad, but this just takes the cake. Here are my main gripes with the game:

- The controls suck.
Which is funny as shit because in the game, you get an email from Rebecca that says "I made the controls better so you won't accidentally run into things and objects". Except I've been doing that the whole game. I'll try to jump straight off of an object, and Conner will jump the opposite direction and tackle a person.

Also, this is a small personal preference, but there's only two speeds in the game, walk, and run. In AC2 and others, there was a 'jog' option, which would let you go fast, but still slow enough to enjoy the scenery, not in this game.

- The story is basically not about Templars or Assassin's at all.
It's more about the American Revolution with just an Assassin in it. There's hardly any talk of Templars after the first sequence or so. Which, in my mind, makes for a bad Assassin Creed game.

- Some of the tutorials are god awful and not helpful at all.
Like for example the mini games in the game. No idea how to play them and the game only gives you a stripped down version of how to play. I'm at a point in the game where the game says to chase my enemy. That's it. It has a red target over his head, so I assume that I'm supposed to kill him, after all, that's what the game tells you, red means kill. Nope, not this guy.

- What the hell is the point of hunting?
Seriously, there's no need for it at all in the game. It doesn't add anything, and you don't get punished or get stopped at a point in the game because you haven't hunted.

- Remember in AC2 (which stands as the best Assassin's Creed game) when you get a mission like a courier mission, or assassination contract, your map would show you where to go?
Yeah, well that's scrapped in this game. Basically, from what I've been noticing, when you get these missions, you don't get told where to go, and the only time you find the target is just by pure coincidence. You're in the area because of another mission? Okay, then the map will tell you.

- Viewpoints are useless. When I play AC games, I like to do all of the viewpoints at once and uncover all of the map. Well in here, Viewpoints are useless and only uncover the tiniest portions of the map which leaves a crap ton of exploring left to do. It also doesn't help that the map, is waaaay too dark to navigate. It's too blue.

- Why the fuck did the last 3 Assassin Creed games have "Optional Objectives" ?
Okay, in AC:B and AC:R it wasn't as bad. But in this game, the optional objectives really do feel almost mandatory, and if you don't do them, the game really does a good job of making you feel like a total failure by having the failed objective in red on screen at all times. Not to mention, some of the optional objectives are damn near impossible to get and will require a lot, I mean A LOT of "Restart from checkpoint" to the point where it's really infuriating.

- Shopping for new weapons or clothes? Pointless.
It really is. It adds nothing to the game. Ya they might be a bit stronger, but it's really not worth it at all. You should just save the money for upgrading your ship that you get in the game, which as sad as it is, is the best part of the game. Seriously, the ship missions should just be it's own game, it is easily the best and most entertaining aspects of the game. The only downside is they're too short.

- The exploring missions where it's just you and the level to get to a chest or something are really short.
To me, I really liked these parts in the AC games. They were amazing platforming games. But in here, they're too damn short to really enjoy. Even the GameStop/EB Games exclusive Mayan mission is way too short. It was maybe 5 minutes long, that's it.

- What's the point of the horse?
Seriously, this thing will have you stopped more times than you put the controller down. It is simply useless. It can't go anywhere really and it can't even go down the tiniest of rocks or anywhere near trees.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if any of the other AC titles have this problem (I've only played a bit of the first on 360 and the second on PS3, and that was a while ago), but I watched my friend play the PS3 version of AC3 yesterday for a couple hours, and I swear, the frame rate is just godawful, more so than any other game I've seen. unless you have zero NPCs and not much going on the screen, you're lucky to get anywhere near of a decent frame rate. And I don't mean "nitpicky, it dropped one frame in a minute during a cutscene, I'm gonna whine now." I mean legitimately terrible frame rate. Seriously, the frame rate felt worse than the original version of Zelda: OoT about half the time (which had roughly 15 FPS, for anyone wondering).

nasune

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This will contain SPOILERS (can't get the tags to work)

Well, I can't say that I don't agree with you. I was pretty excited for this game too, hell I even preordered the Join or Die edition (cost me 75 euro's too), and, after finishing it, I thought it was pretty bad. -Storywise it was for the most part about a brat who wanted revenge on his mothers killers and in the end did not even complete that (Washington lived). And don't get me started on the ending, that was just a plot twist for the sake of a plot twist.
-The main character was IMO an annoying brat with his killing is bad attitude, he's an assassin for god's sake (if he hated seeing so many dead he should've found another job).
-The controls were so bad in this one, I don't know how often I suddenly began to run up a wall, jump in a random direction, started to walk instead of running (this was mostly after cutscenes if you held the trigger throughout the cutscene), or hide without meaning to.
-The goddamn bugs in this game pissed me off too, I saw pieces of the scenery flying in mid air,the horse stopping in the middle of a path and refusing to go forward (like you're standing on a cliff), the guards randomly attacking for no reason at all (yes, even when you are incognito and walking on the ground), hell in one mission I actually had to reset my xbox because there was a wall where there shouldn't be one, and, while harmless, the clipping in this game annoyed me.

And something I didn't get was the lack/alteration of some of the features of the previous games. I mean where's the hookblade (they obviously knew about Ezio), what's the use for the money in this game (I only used it to bribe some people I could do the rest without updating anything), why the regen (it makes everything so easy, if you're hurt just hide for a minute and you're good as new).

All in all I was really dissapointed by the game, I expected so much more.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking forward to eventually getting this game, but considering what I've heard... yeah, I think I'm going to put the $60 elsewhere.

Maybe I'll pick it up when it's cheaper and the bugs are fixed, but I'll have to see about that.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone liking the game who aren't into the Assassins Creed games? I've tried them all and none of them really entertained me that much but I do like the theme with this one.

Yep, that's it, I'm changing the preorder for the Wii U game.
I've read a lot about how the Wii U version of Akrham City is extremely sub-standard and visually there are a lot of glitches with that version. This was a few months back though so maybe things have been fixed, but personally I'd hold off on that game and wait for it to come down in prize. I don't see it selling as well so it'll be reduced in price soon.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone liking the game who aren't into the Assassins Creed games? I've tried them all and none of them really entertained me that much but I do like the theme with this one.

I've read a lot about how the Wii U version of Akrham City is extremely sub-standard and visually there are a lot of glitches with that version. This was a few months back though so maybe things have been fixed, but personally I'd hold off on that game and wait for it to come down in prize. I don't see it selling as well so it'll be reduced in price soon.

Then what Wii U game would you suggest, if AC3 is going to suck balls? Arkham City doesn't look bad from the video anyway. And no, it will be a very cold day in Hell before I get Nintendoland.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then what Wii U game would you suggest, if AC3 is going to suck balls? Arkham City doesn't look bad from the video anyway. And no, it will be a very cold day in Hell before I get Nintendoland.

(I'm not Hadrian, but whatever)

Of the launch library, Rayman and ZombiU seem to be pretty good bets.

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I'm going for ZombieU, NSMBU (I guess if you've seen the many gameplay videos and it does nothing for you plus you're tired of that series it's a miss) and Nintendoland because the games I've seen look pretty fucking good and word is that this title is going to surprise a lot of people.

There's CoD:BO2...I'm not buying that one, though it looks a lot better than the last load of entries but I'll pirate it for PC to see what it's like.

I actually kinda want the new Skylanders, lots of people saying it's a really good 3D platformer but I dunno, maybe I'll try the first game IF it ever goes on sale.

(I'm not Hadrian, but whatever)

Of the launch library, Rayman and ZombiU seem to be pretty good bets.
Rayman Legends isn't out until next year now, think Feb at the earliest now.

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get Darksiders 2, if Batman and Assassin's Creed aren't to your liking. Anyone else think that ZombiU might not be a great exclusive?

Reactions: Rasas

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else think that ZombiU might not be a great exclusive?
Well it is Ubisoft and they have a habit of making a first entry in a potential series to be a bit of a let down only to do something brilliant with it afterwards.

My only two worries are length and if it will get repetitive after a while. No doubt if it sells well then the sequel will be pretty damn good. I'm not going to pre-order it (I'm not even getting a Wii U until Jan anyway) but then I hardly ever pre-order unless there is no doubt in my mind that it'll be great.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know if any of the other AC titles have this problem (I've only played a bit of the first on 360 and the second on PS3, and that was a while ago), but I watched my friend play the PS3 version of AC3 yesterday for a couple hours, and I swear, the frame rate is just godawful, more so than any other game I've seen. unless you have zero NPCs and not much going on the screen, you're lucky to get anywhere near of a decent frame rate. And I don't mean "nitpicky, it dropped one frame in a minute during a cutscene, I'm gonna whine now." I mean legitimately terrible frame rate. Seriously, the frame rate felt worse than the original version of Zelda: OoT about half the time (which had roughly 15 FPS, for anyone wondering).

The framerate has always been bad in the AC games, but you learned to deal with it. But in here, even the cutscenes suffer from it. Speaking of the cutscenes, no matter what costume you have on, in cutscenes Conner will always have the default outfit on. Which is weird considering in the other ones, what you were wearing were on you no matter what. Not a big deal, but I thought that was a bit of a letdown.

D

Deleted_171835

I'm waiting for the PC version. I've watched a couple of videos and goddamn, the framerate is horrible. But no worries, I'll be playing the 1680x1050, 4x MSAA, stable framerate version on the PC.

Impressions have been largely negative comparing it to the first AC game rather than the vastly superior second making me a little skeptical.

Reactions: Satangel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :shy: