Hardware Your thoughts about Switch backwards compatibility and WiiU games ports

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i would love to have some sort of backwards compatibilty on the Switch, but as more as i think about it, the less are the chances for it to have compatibility with the Wii U library. It would be hard for it to have backwards compatibility with wii u games and I think it could be because:
  • No dual screens.
To play in your tv, the Switch needs to be in that dock thing, so no secondary screen or off-tv play for wii u games (though most wii u games plays fine without the secondary screen)
  • No optical disc drive
As seen on the reveal trailer and screenshots, there seems to be no optical drive for discs. How could we play wii u games on it? Unless they re-release them as digital downloads.
  • Having them kills the whole point of Switch, playing in home and on the go.
Yeah, how would you be able to play wii u games on the go if it somehow ends having a optical drive? Again, unless they re-release the games it could work.
  • Different architecture
I'm not 100% sure about this one, but you know, to have backward compatibility the console itself needs to have an arc similar to its predecessor and the wii u relies on PowerPC while the Switch doesn't.

Well i can't think in more reasons but that's mostly it. I guess the chances for 3DS backwards compatibility are higher than with the Wii U one.

What are your thoughts?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as for wii u, it would be possible by playing with both portable mode and home mode.
as for wii, it would be emulated the same way on wii u
as for gamecube, i think its already confirmed that Switch virtual console will support gamecube
as for physical copy (disc drive), it might be an accessories you buy separately, or even included in the deluxe pack

Reactions: DeslotlCL

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is none. I'm guessing it might work similarly to the Wii>Wii U virtual console scenario where if you had VC games on your Wii account you could get the Wii U releases at a significant discount, except in this case it will be Switch ports instead of VC ports

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as for wii u, it would be possible by playing with both portable mode and home mode.
as for wii, it would be emulated the same way on wii u
as for gamecube, i think its already confirmed that Switch virtual console will support gamecube
as for physical copy (disc drive), it might be an accessories you buy separately, or even included in the deluxe pack
But the console is the screen/tablet, not the dock. Could an accessory to read discs for the screen work? Better question, does usb optical drivers even exist?
There is none. I'm guessing it might work similarly to the Wii>Wii U virtual console scenario where if you had VC games on your Wii account you could get the Wii U releases at a significant discount, except in this case it will be Switch ports instead of VC ports
Well, it uses cartridges, 3ds games could work i guess

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the console is the screen/tablet, not the dock. Could an accessory to read discs for the screen work? Better question, does usb optical drivers even exist?
212046.jpeg

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes it does exist, was mainly created for laptop without integrated optical drive

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seriously doubt there's going to be any backwards compatibility. Perhaps discounts in the eShop for games you've already bought for prior consoles, but I think they'll need to be re-made to have any chance of running on the switch.

Not only does it not have dual screens, but I'm fairly sure there's no touch screen. The trailer never showed any touchscreen functionality, and you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen while it was docked if it had it.

It also appears to be lacking motion controls and cameras. It could be that it has those features and they simply weren't shown off in the trailer, so we won't know for sure until more specs are released (I would hope it at least has an accelerator, even the most basic smartphones do these days). I just don't foresee any backwards compatibility for systems like DSi, 3DS, Wii, or Wii U that made good use of these features in a significant number of games.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I seriously doubt there's going to be any backwards compatibility. Perhaps discounts in the eShop for games you've already bought for prior consoles, but I think they'll need to be re-made to have any chance of running on the switch.

Not only does it not have dual screens, but I'm fairly sure there's no touch screen. The trailer never showed any touchscreen functionality, and you wouldn't be able to use the touch screen while it was docked if it had it.

It also appears to be lacking motion controls and cameras. It could be that it has those features and they simply weren't shown off in the trailer, so we won't know for sure until more specs are released (I would hope it at least has an accelerator, even the most basic smartphones do these days). I just don't foresee any backwards compatibility for systems like DSi, 3DS, Wii, or Wii U that made good use of these features in a significant number of games.
i just though about something, its highly probable that there wont be any backward compatibilities for wii u/wii/3ds because remember, nintendo said it wont replace nor the wii u nor the 3ds.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, i would love to have some sort of backwards compatibilty on the Switch, but as more as i think about it, the less are the chances for it to have compatibility with the Wii U library. It would be hard for it to have backwards compatibility with wii u games and I think it could be because:
  • No dual screens.
To play in your tv, the Switch needs to be in that dock thing, so no secondary screen or off-tv play for wii u games (though most wii u games plays fine without the secondary screen)
  • No optical disc drive
As seen on the reveal trailer and screenshots, there seems to be no optical drive for discs. How could we play wii u games on it? Unless they re-release them as digital downloads.
  • Having them kills the whole point of Switch, playing in home and on the go.
Yeah, how would you be able to play wii u games on the go if it somehow ends having a optical drive? Again, unless they re-release the games it could work.
  • Different architecture
I'm not 100% sure about this one, but you know, to have backward compatibility the console itself needs to have an arc similar to its predecessor and the wii u relies on PowerPC while the Switch doesn't.

Well i can't think in more reasons but that's mostly it. I guess the chances for 3DS backwards compatibility are higher than with the Wii U one.

What are your thoughts?
For the dual screens, idk. For the disc drive, you could have a wii u with games on a hard drive and plug the usb hard drive to copy the wii u games to the nx. For the architecture, possibly half-to-full emulation id it was powerful enough?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as pnp no.
But nintendo loves to do virtual so an eshop with the old wii u games might work.
But they still havent said if the N switch is touch screen or not.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just though about something, its highly probable that there wont be any backward compatibilities for wii u/wii/3ds because remember, nintendo said it wont replace nor the wii u nor the 3ds.
They always say that, it indeed will replace the Wii U or both the Wii U and 3DS.

Reactions: pelago

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As far as pnp no.
But nintendo loves to do virtual so an eshop with the old wii u games might work.
But they still havent said if the N switch is touch screen or not.
remember what ninty said, it wont remplace the wii u, so i doubt it will be compatible with wii u games

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr