• Views 17,606
  • Replies 218

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I pirate games I want to try. If I think it's worth purchasing, I do it.

E.g. I downloaded a ROM of Professor Layton and the Unwound Future the day it came out and beat it in a day. I bought it the next day to show support.

I believe that piracy comes with the responsibility of at least doing it courteously, as contradictory as that might sound. I'm against taking and not giving back where it is deserved.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know how I feel about piracy in itself.

First, obvious arguments that you probably saw everywhere in these 10 pages, for people who can't afford games, piracy is actually good. They would never buy the games anyway, but thanks to piracy, at least they buy the console so they contribute to the video game industry... Too bad this is balanced by people who could afford games but pirate them instead.

Onto more personal stuff that maybe only applies to me, it is great to be able to install pirated versions of games on the 3DS after buying a cartridge for example (because a cartridge is a better possession than a digital download (which will be useless once the eShop closes) but annoying to use)... But actually it's almost too easy now. I mean, I went out to buy MH4U last year, and that kind of motivated me to play it. Then, when I wanted to play it more, I looked into getting it in cia form for convenience (it was a time when you either had to convert or find it, but finding it was annoying, like getting on that iso site, logging in, finding only USA versions when you're from EU, etc, so I really only did that when I was sure I wanted that cart into a cia format). But now, pirating is so easy on the 3DS that just about any game can be downloaded in minutes, so I'm no longer motivated to go out and buy, but if I don't get out and buy I am not motivated in trying games as hard either... So I just almost never buy anything but I don't play pirated games either. It's almost like piracy killed my motivation to play.

Now please, read the beginning of the previous paragraph again please, "maybe only applies to me", I do not blame anyone here, I'm just weird. Also, this only applies to games. Because most games are boring at first and better after that, so you really have to force yourself to play to actually start enjoying them. But for movies for example, it's another story. It's only like 2 hours so you don't force yourself at all. That's why here ok, I got a pirated Frozen download (can't see it in theaters after 2 years so I'll only see it on a small screen anyway), watched it, liked it and bought an Elsa plushie to show support, for twice the price of a DVD (which by the way would have been annoying to play since I don't have any DVD player) and three times the price of a cinema ticket because I don't care, it was good.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Hayleia
I can see that for me lack of free time and being too tired to play killed my motivation to play.
So lately I almost don't pirate, because I have no time to try games I don't know much about, and the games I really like I buy them, even limited editions, for them to collect dust. Meh. I should take some holidays.

Reactions: Hayleia

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
eh i wonder how many people pirate

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I don't know how I feel about piracy in itself.

First, obvious arguments that you probably saw everywhere in these 10 pages, for people who can't afford games, piracy is actually good. They would never buy the games anyway, but thanks to piracy, at least they buy the console so they contribute to the video game industry... Too bad this is balanced by people who could afford games but pirate them instead.

Onto more personal stuff that maybe only applies to me, it is great to be able to install pirated versions of games on the 3DS after buying a cartridge for example (because a cartridge is a better possession than a digital download (which will be useless once the eShop closes) but annoying to use)... But actually it's almost too easy now. I mean, I went out to buy MH4U last year, and that kind of motivated me to play it. Then, when I wanted to play it more, I looked into getting it in cia form for convenience (it was a time when you either had to convert or find it, but finding it was annoying, like getting on that iso site, logging in, finding only USA versions when you're from EU, etc, so I really only did that when I was sure I wanted that cart into a cia format). But now, pirating is so easy on the 3DS that just about any game can be downloaded in minutes, so I'm no longer motivated to go out and buy, but if I don't get out and buy I am not motivated in trying games as hard either... So I just almost never buy anything but I don't play pirated games either. It's almost like piracy killed my motivation to play.

Now please, read the beginning of the previous paragraph again please, "maybe only applies to me", I do not blame anyone here, I'm just weird. Also, this only applies to games. Because most games are boring at first and better after that, so you really have to force yourself to play to actually start enjoying them. But for movies for example, it's another story. It's only like 2 hours so you don't force yourself at all. That's why here ok, I got a pirated Frozen download (can't see it in theaters after 2 years so I'll only see it on a small screen anyway), watched it, liked it and bought an Elsa plushie to show support, for twice the price of a DVD (which by the way would have been annoying to play since I don't have any DVD player) and three times the price of a cinema ticket because I don't care, it was good.
only problem is its illegal and people can get huge fines for it.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
Simple words, do not pirate software if you plan to make money with it, likewise many people in my country and India and China use pirated software even for cooperative business, MS office for example. In fact even highly educated people are shocked when I tell them real price of the software and their enterprise editions.

As for the games where should I start yes.
"Please undarstandu dew knot pierete a gaemuh it hurts companii profituh" whilst being true they do not realise that in many nations where the product is not officially available we have to pay larger sums for money even selling them. My local store despises Nintendo for example as their products after importing go above 2 times their price! And no discounts boy!

Wii u approx $569 here
3ds approx 270 - 390 here (Lowest o3ds highest n3dsxl)
Pokeon X $70
Alpha ruby $78
And so on.

When I first got 3ds out of pure hype I was stuck with super monkey ball for a whole year! Eshop release of full games made life glorious for 3ds xl users where I first bought sm4sh. For appropriate price after conversion and taxes.
So piracy was most convenient here. It allowed me to play more games which I showed to my buddies they were all mindblown how good games were on an unknown Japanese brand which builds hype on 3ds and Nintendo itself starting from roots of piracy soon My country may very well soon like nintendo making a potential market for us here and resulting more profit later!

TL;DR I think so piracy when done in appropriate context to general law is brings nout harm. The bad piracy example is the software one and good piracy example is my 3ds one. Then again piracy does take away developers from a system, so it is most appropriate to pirate a system after 2 years it releases.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my own experience, if I pirate it, I already bought it or I wasn't going to buy it anyway. So no fcks given.

Touko White

(not)Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Piracy is Infinite Fun, because downloading things is fun and I feel good doing it...
I don't care what Mazin__ said about it being fun only to Sega... lol but I do support sega's old games. Besides there pretty tolerant of romhacks etc. apparently.

(just search that name on Twitter, it's the same guy who wrote the creepy message in Sonic CD, pretty obvious as his display name is the same)

D

Deleted User

OP
I'm against pirating new games; by pirating those games, you're taking away from the developers' profits, and hurting the industry. This goes two-fold for indie developers, as they oftentimes don't have the finances that big AAA companies do, like EA and Ubisoft.

That being said, I believe piracy is, while not legally defensible, morally defensible under these conditions:
- The game is old (older than last gen), and is not being sold as a re-release anywhere
- You own a copy of the game

I, personally, don't see how downloading an old Commodore 64 game produced by a company that is now defunct would be hurting the games industry. The company made its money, and it wouldn't be making its money now anyways.

That's just my two cents, though.

hacksn5s4

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Piracy a not theft if you game was stolen you would not have it. If some on copyed your game you would still have it. It only effects the company and if I did not buy a game or pirate it the same thing would happen if I pirated it But it encourages people to not buy game and hurts sales because people are getting a paid game free it's complicated since some legal things cause same effect as piracy Like used games not buying the game at all the game being bad and people not buying it cause of that

Last edited by hacksn5s4,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I felt like not making a new thread for this so while on the subject of piracy.

If I download a pirated game that comes with a cracked steam_api.dll, will I be able to get banned from steam by running it?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I felt like not making a new thread for this so while on the subject of piracy.

If I download a pirated game that comes with a cracked steam_api.dll, will I be able to get banned from steam by running it?

As far as I know, no, as long as you don't add it to the Steam library or use the Steam client to launch it. I once had Assassin's Creed IV with the cracked .dll file, never used the launcher for it.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As far as I know, no, as long as you don't add it to the Steam library or use the Steam client to launch it. I once had Assassin's Creed IV with the cracked .dll file, never used the launcher for it.

Alright, thanks man! I really didn't want to have to close Steam to play it because I'm downloading something huge on there.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, thanks man! I really didn't want to have to close Steam to play it because I'm downloading something huge on there.

Just whatever you do, be careful anyways, cracked steam API files..never add pirated/downloaded games to the Steam library, heh.

Reactions: Pacheko17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: