Hardware Your opinions about used PC parts?

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What are your opinions about used PC parts?

I want to build a new computer and use as many cheap but powerful parts as possible.

I want to spend as very little money as possible.

What should I be aware of, careful of?

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Parts I wouldn't buy used:
HDD/SSD
Power Supply
Motherboard

Anything else, I could see spending less and getting used. Especially avoid getting used a power supply, if nothing else.
HDD/SSD I already believed not to buy used.

I will take your advice on the other two but.. please provide me some reasoning behind naming them?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
HDD/SSD I already believed not to buy used.

I will take your advice on the other two but.. please provide me some reasoning behind naming them?

Both of the other parts tend to degrade over time, often even with typical use. Both contain things like capacitors that can blow or leak and cause problems, and the longer they've been used, the more likely this is to happen.

Basically this: You don't know the use history of the item you're buying. Unless you're comfortable with having to clean and possibly solder on new capacitors and buy a new battery for the motherboard, it's probably not worth it to buy one used. You won't save a lot of money on those parts used anyway.

Your biggest savings will be on CPU/GPU, which also happen to generally be the most expensive parts anyway.

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Both of the other parts tend to degrade over time, often even with typical use. Both contain things like capacitors that can blow or leak and cause problems, and the longer they've been used, the more likely this is to happen.

Basically this: You don't know the use history of the item you're buying. Unless you're comfortable with having to clean and possibly solder on new capacitors and buy a new battery for the motherboard, it's probably not worth it to buy one used. You won't save a lot of money on those parts used anyway.

Your biggest savings will be on CPU/GPU, which also happen to generally be the most expensive parts anyway.
Ok, thank you for the advice.

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The most graphically advanced games I want to run are Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and Ryse.

I want to run both games absolutely maxed out on every setting and at 1080p native 16:9 resolution, without V-sync. Rock solid 60FPS.

What is the lowest CPU, GPU and RAM combo you people think will make this work for me?

Also, if I have a 60Hz monitor, will there be visual issues if the game runs above 60FPS?

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I buy used almost exclusively now.
Especially with things that almost never die like CPUs or memory, it's a no brainer.
Would you say that GPUs are that durable, too?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I buy used almost exclusively now.
Especially with things that almost never die like CPUs or memory, it's a no brainer.
Also, please give me good tips on how to avoid dodgy sellers who will try to sell me faulty used parts.. I am afraid about that.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Myself, I wouldn't buy used parts, unless they have some kind of written warranty from the seller, and even then, I would never buy used in order of importance:

-HDD/SSD
-Power Supply
-DVD/BR drives
-GPU (tend to last for long but they're also one of the most abused components on a system).

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Also, please give me good tips on how to avoid dodgy sellers who will try to sell me faulty used parts.. I am afraid about that.
For GPUs it heavily depends on the model of the card. But IMO unless the card is known to be prone to failure it's mostly down to luck. A card is a combination of many non-modular parts and if any of them fail you're screwed.
I had a Palit 1060 3GB, the low end Dual version, that was used to mine crypto for ~8 months. It ran perfectly fine for a year until I sold it last month.

IMO nothing beats testing a card in person. I didn't test mine but only because it had over a year of warranty left.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will happily buy an old PSU if it is a good one. Can't see why I wouldn't. They don't much care if they get dropped, they don't age off a cliff or anything, don't tend to get driven too hard...

Won't do high end graphics of any particular type unless it is for £5 or something similar.

Won't do hard drives unless I know their provenance, which is short for I know it because I installed it and have now taken it out.

Anything else is fair game really.

Reactions: zfreeman

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
hardocp did a test on an almost decade old Seasonic X 750W a few months ago and found it performed almost identical to when it was new.
So good PSUs will last and keep their performance up for ages.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bout hdd's before for my PS3 the only reason they got trashed is because i have a hardwood floor + butter fingers = cracked platter but the ones i bought that i didn't break last a while my desktop drive didn't though as for gfx i bought a nvidia GT 730 for my dell no issues so far (I know it's a low end card but we're talking about a dell with a shitty 240w psu

D

Deleted User

Well, make sure if it's on Amazon or Ebay that they have really good reviews. Honestly though, if it's Ebay, it's really easy to get your money back through Paypal and Amazon is really good about keeping folks from getting scammed.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
hardocp did a test on an almost decade old Seasonic X 750W a few months ago and found it performed almost identical to when it was new.
So good PSUs will last and keep their performance up for ages.
I don't disagree with this, that's why most PSUs come with 5-10 year warranty...
however, if something does go wrong with a power supply, it can actually damage other components in the system, and the more a power supply has been used (or abused), the more likely it is for something to go wrong with it.

I wouldn't cheap out on a power supply. I did it before and multiple leads (SATA power, namely) on the cheapo power supply simply stopped working. I'm lucky that's the worst that happened. I wouldn't skimp on one, even buying used isn't something I would do at this point for such a component.

Reactions: felix.200

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still rocking a crap oem hp mobo from 7 years ago. The only time i've had caps go bad is on an amd duron motherboard and it still worked fine.i do agree with the whole not buying used psus and hdd.

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What is the lowest GPU, CPU & RAM combo I can get away with buying if I want to totally max out Ryse at 1080p native, more or less solid 60FPS?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Humanity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You know they publish recommended system requirements for games on Steam, right?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/302510/Ryse_Son_of_Rome/

Considering the game is five years old at this point, as long as you follow those guidelines you'll probably be fine.
You know the FPS-lock option in that game locks the game to 30FPS, right?

The standard info they provided is likely not of use to me. I am needing info about maxing the game out at 1080p native at more or less a solid 60FPS+.

Edit: So I just went on that link.. "DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB video RAM"
LOL.

Most of the cards that match that description will get me nowhere near 60FPS in that game, when maxed out at native 1080p.

Last edited by Humanity,

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
You know the FPS-lock option in that game locks the game to 30FPS, right?

The standard info they provided is likely not of use to me. I am needing info about maxing the game out at 1080p native at more or less a solid 60FPS+.

Edit: So I just went on that link.. "DirectX 11 graphics card with 2 GB video RAM"
LOL.

Most of the cards that match that description will get me nowhere near 60FPS in that game, when maxed out at native 1080p.
Why not just google it? "ryse 1080 60". See what people used to reach that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    Gonna look into that when I get home
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Any good 3ds smut titles psi? :creep:
    Lol I think there was some home brew
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tap to get bigger!
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/j7nOeihhqX0?si=0Krm92hxEDoEw9Je