• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Your opinion on Eugenics and Assisted Suicide/Euthanasia?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh those are impactful words.. :) (Past and present tense.) Outlooks change, words will become less heavy with it. :)

Most of it is perspective, and I can assure everyone in here, that perspective changes with time.

:)

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If someone is suffering from an incurable disease and just want to be let out of their misery, just give it to them as painless as possible.

For example, if I found out I had Fatal Insomnia, I'd probably try and find the fastest and easiest way to end my self, before I suffer from that. If you don't know what that is, you can basically never ever ever ever fall asleep ever again. You'll basically go crazy and die within a month or so, it's scary as fuck. Thankfully, it's very very very rare. And you only inherit it. Also, there is NO cure. You're FUCKED.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_insomnia

As for Eugenics, if I found out I had a chance of having Fatal Insomnia, I would never have a kid. I'd get my self chemically castrated. I would never want to pass on that suffering to anyone. I don't think Eugenics is that bad of a thing, just the US and Germany took it in a racist approach. If we used it as a way to clear awful disease from our gene pool, it would be a good thing. But if someone does have a disease in their gene, you'd have to find a way to get them to agree to chemical castration, and not force it on them, lol. Perhaps offer some money? I dunno, lol.

But hey China is gene editing babies, it's pretty much Eugenics but much faster, and a lot less racist. Perhaps in 10 to 20 years they'll perfect it. If they did perfect it, and if I found out I was a gene baby, never had to worry about cancel, or old people diseases, I'd be thrilled!

Last edited by Viri,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
euthenasia is fine, if one's quality of life it total shit, let them choose to end it. One should have bodily autonomy. Eugenics is a crock of shit and is flawed when it comes to epigenetics and any real genetic research in the last 20 years.
Epigenetic_mechanisms.jpg

This is the reason racists and other people who try to claim superior genes are actually stupid. There is an entire genetic super-system that controls our genes, let alone the fact that multiple (polyallelic, 2+ genes) or extremely large subsections of genes (omni-allelic 10,000+ genes) control most of how we develop and function.

If someone is suffering from an incurable disease and just want to be let out of their misery, just give it to them as painless as possible.

For example, if I found out I had Fatal Insomnia, I'd probably try and find the fastest and easiest way to end my self, before I suffer from that. If you don't know what that is, you can basically never ever ever ever fall asleep ever again. You'll basically go crazy and die within a month or so, it's scary as fuck. Thankfully, it's very very very rare. And you only inherit it. Also, there is NO cure. You're FUCKED.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_insomnia

As for Eugenics, if I found out I had a chance of having Fatal Insomnia, I would never have a kid. I'd get my self chemically castrated. I would never want to pass on that suffering to anyone. I don't think Eugenics is that bad of a thing, just the US and Germany took it in a racist approach. If we used it as a way to clear awful disease from our gene pool, it would be a good thing. But if someone does have a disease in their gene, you'd have to find a way to get them to agree to chemical castration, and not force it on them, lol. Perhaps offer some money? I dunno, lol.

But hey China is gene editing babies, it's pretty much Eugenics but much faster, and a lot less racist. Perhaps in 10 to 20 years they'll perfect it. If they did perfect it, and if I found out I was a gene baby, never had to worry about cancel, or old people diseases, I'd be thrilled!

Crisper is causing real issues when used in humans including multi-chromosomal truncation (damage). we do not currently have the ability to reasonably treat whole body issues with crispr without extensive collateral damage.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-019-09006-2

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crisper is causing real issues when used in humans including multi-chromosomal truncation (damage). we do not currently have the ability to reasonably treat whole body issues with crispr without extensive collateral damage.

In that situation, I wouldn't feel right telling someone if they can or cannot end their own life. I'm not the one suffering from a disease that cannot be treated without wrecking their body.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eugenics is a crock of shit and is flawed when it comes to epigenetics and any real genetic research in the last 20 years.

This is the reason racists and other people who try to claim superior genes are actually stupid. There is an entire genetic super-system that controls our genes, let alone the fact that multiple (polyallelic, 2+ genes) or extremely large subsections of genes (omni-allelic 10,000+ genes) control most of how we develop and function.

That seems like a definitional issue rather than a conceptual one, and if many traits are multi gene expressed that just means more science/testing needed. Epigenetics is great fun too but if it is more on the nurture side of the equation then that is reasonably controlled for.

Likewise that article suggests alternative pathways that may offer better outcomes if CRISPR is ultimately a dead end, assuming there are no "well you are fucked anyway, might as well give it a go" options.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also a food allergy study would be a good idea