Your Most Hated Video Game Stereotype

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is your most hated video game stereotype?

Hate Level: Very High
Pertain to You: Very Much So
Teased for it: Once or Twice a Week
True of False: Definitely NOT

Stereotype: That Nintendo is Exclusively for Kids Age 5-11.

Comments: I own nothing but Nintendo and iOS (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Wii, iPhone 3GS, as well as my RETRO Systems...) and that's all I want to have. I get teased every now and then (like I said, once or twice a week.) Horrible, not

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate Level: Indifferent
Pertain to You: Very Much So
Teased for it: Once or Twice a Week
True of False: Definitely NOT

Stereotype: That WoW players don't have a girlfriend (and, as a result, are "best friends" with Palmela Handerson).

Comments: I find it funny how most of the people who say that have no girlfriend themselves, and can't believe that anyone who would put any amount of time into an online MMO would have any girlfriend short of their hand. I've had a girlfriend (two different ones, however) through almost my entire time (maybe me ENTIRE time) of playing WoW. Haters gonna hate, especially the fact that some gomputer and gaming geek is getting more pussy than the ones who nay say all day long about it XD

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stereotype: Final Fantasy is full of emo shit.

I don't see how. Except for the abominations that were the characters of FF7 and FF8, they weren't really little prissy boys crying over spilled milk.

1234turtles

Memer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stereotype:anything without a m rating or is on a nintendo console is not hardcore
Hate Level: over 9000
Pertain to You: yes
Teased for it: yeah
True of False: no
Comments: everythig doesn't have to be a blood gushing fun fest to be hardcore.

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Only when the topic is mentioned

Hate Level: LIKE A G6
Teased for it: When ever someone who dis-likes me remembers or thinks about it
True of False: False

Stereotype: Yu-Gi-Oh being for nerds and Yu-Gi-Oh being for little kids

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate Level: I wish I could hate it to death
Pertain to You: Nope
Teased for it: Never, really
True of False: Nope again

Stereotype: Only guys can be gamers, or even like video games

I'm sure there are many women out there who are much more frustrated about this than I ever possibly could be, but it irritates me none the less. Videogames are an entertainment medium; to say that only one gender could enjoy it is absurd. That would be like saying only women can enjoy television.

What bothers me is that I feel this sentiment is holding videogames back as an art form. It's an outdated, inaccurate stereotype; people seriously need to drop it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyrix said:
Yu-Gi-Oh being for nerds and Yu-Gi-Oh being for little kids

Real nerds play Magic the Gathering.

1234turtles said:
anything without a m rating or is on a nintendo console is not hardcore

Probably the best games I've played are M-rated. Nintendo consoles included (MadWorld/No More Heroes).

QUOTE(Gahars @ Sep 13 2011, 11:35 PM)
Only guys can be gamers, or even like video games

It's because they should be in the kitchen. That's my sexist joke for today, thank you, thank you.

The big stereotype thing I hate a lot is FPS game stereotyping. So many people bitch and moan because they think FPS games are so bad and whenever a FPS game appears on the market, they just cry about it and start blabbering about how they're so retro and cool for not liking FPS games. Surprise, FPS games are popular. The fact that there are a lot of them doesn't make them bad. Platformers were popular at a time. RPGs were popular at a time. No one complained about those trends, but FPS games? HOW DARE YOU.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like this setup so I'll just say this: That many people think Nintendo is a kids company. It pisses me off, I love my Wii and DS, but it's annoying to hear people rip on it simply because it's made by Nintendo or doesn't have cutting edge graphics. I'm not anti-graphics and I'm not a graphics-whore, but come on people, you can rip on a game's graphics and they help to improve the experience, but there are a bunch of other aspects.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
I don't like this setup so I'll just say this: That many people think Nintendo is a kids company. It pisses me off, I love my Wii and DS, but it's annoying to hear people rip on it simply because it's made by Nintendo or doesn't have cutting edge graphics. I'm not anti-graphics and I'm not a graphics-whore, but come on people, you can rip on a game's graphics and they help to improve the experience, but there are a bunch of other aspects.

I honestly think the only people who think this are Nintendo gamers who want to feel persecuted because their console is "different".

And there's a whole grocery list of things to rip the Wii for, and rightly so. I don't feel it's a kids system, I bought my Wii solely for me (and I'm not a kid, nor did I consider myself one when I bought it). I feel it's a system with some decent games but in the end it just completely flopped to make itself out to be anything other than "the gimped system". If it wasn't for an aggressive marketing campaign to, you guessed it, kids and old people, the system would most definitely be as successful (or unsuccessful) as the Gamecube.

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hate Level: Table flipping
Pertain to You: Kind of
Teased for it: 3 times a week
True of False: false minus "nostalgia" trips (pun)

Stereotype: JRPGs have gotten stale or all tell the same story over.

I'm not sure if its my location (texas) but this I encounter this often, that JRPGs have turned into the same story. Simply not true looking back at recent games (by that I mean this gen) like eternal sonata, radiant historia, or the world ends with you.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BrightNeko said:
Hate Level: Table flipping
Pertain to You: Kind of
Teased for it: 3 times a week
True of False: false minus "nostalgia" trips (pun)

Stereotype: JRPGs have gotten stale or all tell the same story over.

I'm not sure if its my location (texas) but this I encounter this often, that JRPGs have turned into the same story. Simply not true looking back at recent games (by that I mean this gen) like eternal sonata, radiant historia, or the world ends with you.
Lately people have been saying that less and less with the revival of the genre that was never dead occurs (and on the DS and PSP no less) with unique games like TWEWY and Valkyria Chronicles.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Lately people have been saying that less and less with the revival of the genre that was never dead occurs (and on the DS and PSP no less) with unique games like TWEWY and Valkyria Chronicles.

Their storylines never struck me as entertaining or even good. They're not "the same old JRPG storyline", but I wouldn't say they're good at all. I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles II as a game but found the storyline to be an afterthought. TWEWY, don't even get me started.

Although after Mass Effect, most things are disappointing. It's kinda like eating the best pizza in your life and then going to a bunch of just "meh" pizza shops. Nothing compares. Well, until you go back to that old pizza place after they completely remodeled it and the pizza is even better.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 games that I hate.

1) Superman 64, for the sole reason that there was way to much for in the game, whoever developed it must of been on crack, you could see maybe 5 metres in front of you at any one time and when your flying round a city thats bad, now I understand the graphical limitations of the time, but if you can't make a game like that properly, don't make it

2) Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, now i'm going to get flammed for this one but let me explain, the game itself is an amazing game but when I was younger I had a hell of problem beating a few of the last characters, so much so that I threw my controller at the wall multiple times, I hated this game and it kept dragging me back in. I hate it for the anger it bought out in me as a child, I love it cause come on it Street Fighter, Ill leave it as a love hate relationship

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yusuo said:

1) Superman 64, for the sole reason that there was way to much for in the game, whoever developed it must of been on crack, you could see maybe 5 metres in front of you at any one time and when your flying round a city thats bad, now I understand the graphical limitations of the time, but if you can't make a game like that properly, don't make it

2) Street Fighter 2 Turbo on the SNES, now i'm going to get flammed for this one but let me explain, the game itself is an amazing game but when I was younger I had a hell of problem beating a few of the last characters, so much so that I threw my controller at the wall multiple times, I hated this game and it kept dragging me back in. I hate it for the anger it bought out in me as a child, I love it cause come on it Street Fighter, Ill leave it as a love hate relationship
Yusuo...this is the threads title:
QUOTEYour Most Hated Video Game Stereotype

D

Deleted-236924

Guild McCommunist said:
Real nerds play Magic the Gathering.
Magic the Gathering is over nine thousand better than Yu-Gi-Oh indeed.

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Sep 13 2011, 08:13 PM) TWEWY, don't even get me started.
I agree there was no real storyline in TWEWY.

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Guild McCommunist said:
yusuo said:

This wasn't about games you hate, just game stereotypes that you hate.

Example: All Final Fantasy fans are weaboos (they're not).

Woops sorry misread the title, in that case my worst game stereotype is Pokémon is just for kids, I love the series always have and it has a very good rpg element to it if you delve into it that far, its all these crappy spin offs, I swear I meet one more person who judges me for playing pokémon and they're going to catch a bullet in their ass

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pingouin7 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
TWEWY, don't even get me started.
I don't want to get started on such a subject but...even if you didn't like the game, there was a real storyline, that's a fact. That's really not something that's opinion vs. fact.

BloodWolfJW

Marotheit
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yusuo said:
Guild McCommunist said:
yusuo said:

This wasn't about games you hate, just game stereotypes that you hate.

Example: All Final Fantasy fans are weaboos (they're not).

Woops sorry misread the title, in that case my worst game stereotype is Pokémon is just for kids, I love the series always have and it has a very good rpg element to it if you delve into it that far, its all these crappy spin offs, I swear I meet one more person who judges me for playing pokémon and they're going to catch a bullet in their ass

Agreed. I don't play the TCG, but Sapphire will always be in my top 3 RPGs EVAR!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Pingouin7 said:
Guild McCommunist said:
TWEWY, don't even get me started.
I don't want to get started on such a subject but...even if you didn't like the game, there was a real storyline, that's a fact. That's really not something that's opinion vs. fact.

I haven't played the game, but from what I've heard... isn't the entire point of the story (something about getting trapped in a "trendy" section of tokyo and fighting monsters from an alternate dimension as part of a game, right?) just to teach the protagonist the power of friend and "twue wuv"?

If so... pretty lame.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: