Your first recollection of video games.

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by pwsincd, Nov 15, 2012.

Nov 15, 2012
  1. pwsincd
    OP

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    Was sat chatting with a mate at work today and we got onto the subject of our first memories of video games , mine personally was lunch times at senior school in the cafe down the street they had a donkey kong , and it was always a race to get there and queue up your coins on the glass before ya mates got in . And at the youth club on a friday night for pacman and asteroids. We were amazed i recall being pissed of when my parents got the zx81 and it didnt quite cut the mustard compared to the arcade fun we had . circa 1982 :) old man i know.

Was wondering what you guys first memories of video games was ?

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Early 1990s. My Mum met some other middle aged woman because they were both Bangladeshi. The other middle aged woman had a son around my age and he was forced to let me have a go on his Master System. I played some Alex Kidd and didn't think it was particularly good. My parents for no discernible reason got my my own Master System. The only game I had for it was the in built Sonic the Hedgehog.

3. roastable

Member roastable GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I've never had the experience of going to arcades sadly, as my parents never approved of it nor did we have any good ones where I lived. Instead, in 1998 I think, my brother got emulators working on our family laptop, so I spent countless hours playing Pokemon Blue and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Good times :')

EDIT: My brother would download those ROM packages that had many games in them. Being very young, when I came across Final Fantasy, I thought it was some Pokemon ripoff.

Oh yeah, I also remember the many knockoff Chinese ROM edits like Super Mario Bros. for the Sega Genesis LOL.

4. 4-leaf-clover

Member 4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Netherlands
    I started pretty late with gaming my first game console was a ps1 and my first game was a.....Demo disc :< And my official 1st game was Crash Bandicoot.
    One of my favorite games ever.

5. Chary

Reporter Chary GBAtemp's #1 Naoto

pip
    United States
    Back in the late nineties, my parents got a used NES, with Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. It was the only game I would have on the NES, (Until I got another system years later) as it broke down 6 months after we got it. I don't remember much of that old NES, as I was only 2/3 years old, but I remember having a good time with it.

Later on, my mom got me a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2. I played that game when I was 5, and I still play it today.
    Good times...

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I was still grieving over the drowning of my twin sister when I discovered Nintendo. I found an outlet for my anguish and sorrow in the colorful worlds of Super Mario Bros. and Ninja Gaiden. My older brother and his friend took notice, and together we ran off to California to take part in a tournament, overcoming various obstacles along the way. Though it was close, I discovered a secret cheat in the final round, and managed to take home first place.

Either that was my first experience, or I'm just having another "The Wizard" flashback.

ekko25, pwsincd, Densetsu and 3 others like this.
  7. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    I couldn't start in a better way.... Super Mario Bros. on my Famiclone :lol:

8. emigre

United Kingdom
    Was it "so bad?"

Gahars likes this.
  9. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    I know the first system I owned was a Commodore 64, and we had trouble getting Fantasy World Dizzy to load. But my first clear memory is being woken up at 3AM by my older brother. He'd finally gotten to the boss of the Labyrinth zone in the original Sonic The Hedgehog but got himself hopelessly stuck. Despite being sleep deprived and five years younger than him, only being around 4 or 5 at the time, I smashed straight through the level in no time flat, leaving him sat there looking perplexed.

Two days later I played him at FIFA on our Mega Drive (AKA Genesis) and despite him being obsessed with football, whereas I couldn't care less, I annihilated him about 7-0. Guess my hand-eye co-ordination and reflexes developed a hell of a lot quicker than his. Even to this day I still beat him at pretty much any game. Even FIFA, despite the fact that he is still football obsessed, plays FIFA constantly, and above all else I currently have no system capable of playing his version of choice even if I wanted to practice.

10. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    My first game played was probably in 1992 (born in 1991) but I don't remember playing any games until Mario 64... I must of had a good stroke.

11. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    The first one I played was probaly my brothers SNES and Super Mario World. Never actually beat it till I got the GBA version though. But, my first actual system was a Gamecube with Sunshine, Mario Kart some Towonka shit, and Shrek. I beat all of them in about 4 months.

12. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    My first experience with video games was owning a N64 and cycling through Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros. and Banjo & Kazooie. for a good six months.

13. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    My first memory is so vivid.
    my first memory is sitting in my Grandmothers living room, playing The original spyro the dragon, on the level Dark Hollow, collecting gems and trying to flame the big bellied metal gnorcs. Its a great memory, and that has always been my favorite level. I even have that Levels Music on my ipod. Takes me back everytime I listen to it.

Bobbyloujo likes this.
  14. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    it's not Ninja Gaiden.... it's Ninja GAI--DEEEN...... HAI!!!!

Gahars likes this.
  15. emigre

United Kingdom
    I thought it was Ninja Garden and presumed it was a gardening simulator with a Ninja.

I was a dickhead even back than.

Wever likes this.
  16. Par39

Member Par39 The Life Hacker

Finland
    Playing Bubble Bobble for Amiga with my sisters as a little (5 year-ish) girl... loved playing co-op <3 ...still one of my favourite games, even though our Amiga broke years ago, and haven't been able to play it since Q-Q ...makes me sad I never got to beat it...

Hells Malice likes this.
  17. Densetsu

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    This isn't my first recollection, but it is one of my early ones.

I remember back in the day when everyone mispronounced Ninja "Guy-den" and called it Ninja "Gay-den." It was during the 5th grade. I totally mispronounced it.

One of my oldest buddies, whom I've known since kindergarten, is a Japanese-American. He used to tell everyone that it was really pronounced "Guy-den." I distinctly remember telling him "Shut up, John! You're stupid! It's Gay-den, not Guy-den!"

Then when my friends and I saw this scene in The Wizard:

We laughed and said "hahahah that guy pronounced it like John lololololol he's stupid!"

And in the 7th grade my friends and I got into Nobunaga's Ambition on the NES. We all thought it was pronounced Nobunga's Ambition (as in, "cowabunga"). Except, of course, my Japanese friend John. He would say "It's pronounced 'No-boo-na-ga's Ambition!'" And the rest of us used to say "Yeah, sure, whatever John. It's Nobunga dude!"

It wasn't until many years later when I randomly recalled these memories that I realized John was right the entire time. And to think we used to mock him, ironically by pronouncing the words correctly. Man, we were such immature dicks :P

LOL, I should ask him if he remembers that. And probably apologize, or something.

Gahars likes this.
  18. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    my first memories date back to xmas morning 1982/1983. we got our atari 2600. i had lcd and led handhelds before that, do those count?

[​IMG]

-another world

pwsincd likes this.
  19. weiff

Member weiff GBAtemp Regular

Ok, I will weigh in on this thread. Like a few others it was a Commodore 64... the key here is I remember loading Frogger off of a tape drive. You put the cassette tape in and waited for the screen to tell when to hit "Play". Then it would tell when to flip it over. After all that, Frogger.

For Reference: [​IMG]

raulpica likes this.
  20. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Can't remember exactly but my friend had a N64 and I'd go to his house and we'd spend hours playing Perfect Dark and Super Smash Bros.

But my first game console was a GBC, first home console was a PSX.