Your First Job

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do you remember what was your first job?

I suddenly found myself thinking about this, and I think it's a quite interesting part of our lives. I still remember my first job... I was a Candy Maker...

My job consisted in shaping and doing candies out of huge masses of rock hard caramel.
These chunks of caramel weighted at the very least, over 67pounds or roughly 30kilos.
I had to lift them from the basement to the second floor where we had metal tables, then with a huge knife I had to cut the 67pounds caramel rock into smaller chunks. Then, those into even smaller ones, and with the heat of my hand mold them into candies.
I would have to add Pecans, Raisins, Chocolate, Pumpkin Seeds, whatever was needed.
I had to make over 1000 a day in a 9 hour shift. It was from 7am to 4pm.
Unfortunately I lasted a couple days because I had a stroke sometime later... not kidding.

EDIT: For anyone curious, the candy I made tasted exactly as the filling of a SNICKERS chocolate.

I'm curious to know your story ^_^

Last edited by JuanMena,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first job was right out of high school back in 2004. We had a hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant called Ricardo's, and my job was a dishwasher, the wage was about 5.25 an hour, part time. It wasn't a terrible job by any means, I got free meals on occasion and the people I worked with were nice :P But the fact it was done after I got my wisdom teeth removed made the first week a bit painful, heh.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Self employed as me.

Got done with university, went on holiday for a few months to the US, came back and found nobody cared. Did a bit of postgrad and not a lot. Technically this was around the whole housing crisis bit but even so.
I messed around for a bit and then found I was fixing enough computers, playing web dev, playing actual dev, electrical bits, mechanical bits, playing building trades, organising projects/warehouses, writing specs, analysing failures, playing mechanic on occasion and whatever else that I figured I might as well do that and formally went self employed as whatever it is I am (generally if you have seen me commenting on it around here then someone has probably paid me to do it).

Not exactly lucrative (self employed alone makes the idea of getting a mortgage a joke, granted "wife, kids and house in the suburbs" is about as far from how I care to roll as is possible to be) and will probably never retire (not that I expect to live that long) but have a lot of free time* and enough to fund a small tool collection/workshop.

*occasionally I will get dragged in for a 5-6 days a week, up with the sun and there until it is done type deal. Fun enough for that project but the idea of doing that for 52 years (if the pension pot is even vaguely viable at that point it will be 70 were I to make it that far) to turn my toes up a few years later... no thanks.

Technically for a while when I was young I helped out on fruit delivery but that was more an excuse to nibble fruit ("perk" of the notion was you got a nice box of fruit to nibble while watching the seaside sunrise so... I was certainly not squeezing it out those days and we always had nice veg to eat at night) but that was off the books on an already off the books venture.
If you don't count that it also means I have never had a boss (didn't really there either), certainly never had formal employment (a retainer contract is about as close as I get there and don't have any active right now) and have never been fired or let go.

Nobody_Important4u

Barely real
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Picking cherries when I was 14, the job itself wasn't anything special, the interesting part was getting to the place basically you got to some place at some hour and the car would come but the whole time there was the worst music playing in that car and the driving was dangerously fast and on the way back there was a bunch of detours where they did a bunch of stuff and it took ages until they started the car again.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Picking cherries when I was 14, the job itself wasn't anything special, the interesting part was getting to the place basically you got to some place at some hour and the car would come but the whole time there was the worst music playing in that car and the driving was dangerously fast and on the way back there was a bunch of detours where they did a bunch of stuff and it took ages until they started the car again.
Sounds like the driver was a Mexican :unsure:

Stwert

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My first ‘proper’ job, that wasn’t just a summer or weekend thing as a kid, was an apprentice architect. Man that seems like a lifetime ago. Not to mention a million miles from what I ended up doing in later life.

RyRyIV

Woke Clown
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
First ever job was technically when I was about 11 or 12, working in my uncles wood shop as a general assistant over the summer. I got paid a crisp $100 for a couple days work a week all summer.

First REAL job was at a grocery store, which I applied for on my 15th birthday. I was a general stock boy/bag boy, but as it was a small town grocery store I just sort of did anything that was needed around the store. Kept that job for a year and a half too before I decided I wanted to work in a restaurant instead, partially due to the grocery store's manager having full time employee expectations out of part time high school kids.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My first job was as a woodwoker helping hand, providing the tools and resources. Also we built and installed doors, cabinets, closets, tables, chairs and alike. There I learned a bit about the job, and I really enjoyed the process.

Then, computers got in my way and well, I learned to program and fix computers, cell phones, tablets, laptops, netbooks, computer networks, electronics... For me, learning is a never ending process, something I really enjoy every day.

NeSchn

Swag.
Trophies
Website
neschncardreviews.tk
XP
Country
United States
Started off as a dishwasher at a local restaurant right out of high school, I was there for over 3 years. Worked my way up to Assistant Manager of the kitchen, it was fucking miserable. The only good thing that came out of it is that I lost a shit ton of extra weight from being on my feet running around 8-10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. 0/10 though would not work another restaurant job again.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr