Your favorite DUET Song please:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Surprisingly hard one that, and going to have to do the wall of video as a result.

While I have no objection to vocals of either gender I had a scan through most of my music collection and at best most people doing the odd bit of backing, or maybe alternate a few verses that are essentially unrelated to each other. Something where the singers play off each other in some notable fashion... minimal really. John Fogerty & ZZ Top brings a smile to my face but not really duet, same for Johnny Cash and Arlo Guthrie.

I suppose we can do Fairytale of New York

However to call it my favourite anything would be a bit strong -- it is a song I don't mind at all but not much more. It is mainly here so people lose the game early.

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - 'My Love For Evermore' is enjoyable for me

I also see the they did a cover of Jackson but I will take the original for that one

and the male vocalist (himself a noted singer in some other bands) also did another I really like
Sparky and The Deadbillys - When Death Rides A Horse

Under pressure probably counts here.

Looking through whatever I have that counts as such then I have come to the conclusion that while some duets might be individually good songs they usually have solo (or with the rest of their "normal" band) songs that are multiple times better - Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton did a song called Someday that most bands would be delighted to have something half as good as for a lead but compared to either at their solo best (give or take some live collaborations Clapton has done)? Not a chance. Van Morrison and John Lee Hooker did a bunch together and while I am not the biggest Van Morrison fan they are both legends for a reason but checked out a bunch of their collaborations/duets and can't do it. This was also a problem I faced with another I really like a band called Eluveitie and while I like their instrumentals and when they have just their female artists or just their male artists singing their "duets" don't do as much for me.
Try Luxtos if you want though but know there is better in their catalogue

Do we count "Hit the road Jack"?

Closest I have after this is actually dangerously close to a ballad (and there goes whatever street cred I have left), and again each of those individually has some amazing stuff but this... middling at best

In case I was forgetting things I also went through a bunch of list articles. Several had artists I really liked but none had songs I particularly care to note here. I would include Je t'aime... moi non plus if only because of the outrage it caused, not to mention I like the Judge Dread version more, even if that is by far one of his weaker "big" songs.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Surprisingly hard one that, and going to have to do the wall of video as a result.

While I have no objection to vocals of either gender I had a scan through most of my music collection and at best most people doing the odd bit of backing, or maybe alternate a few verses that are essentially unrelated to each other. Something where the singers play off each other in some notable fashion... minimal really. John Fogerty & ZZ Top brings a smile to my face but not really duet, same for Johnny Cash and Arlo Guthrie.

I suppose we can do Fairytale of New York

However to call it my favourite anything would be a bit strong -- it is a song I don't mind at all but not much more. It is mainly here so people lose the game early.

The Hillbilly Moon Explosion - 'My Love For Evermore' is enjoyable for me

I also see the they did a cover of Jackson but I will take the original for that one

and the male vocalist (himself a noted singer in some other bands) also did another I really like
Sparky and The Deadbillys - When Death Rides A Horse

Under pressure probably counts here.

Looking through whatever I have that counts as such then I have come to the conclusion that while some duets might be individually good songs they usually have solo (or with the rest of their "normal" band) songs that are multiple times better - Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton did a song called Someday that most bands would be delighted to have something half as good as for a lead but compared to either at their solo best (give or take some live collaborations Clapton has done)? Not a chance. Van Morrison and John Lee Hooker did a bunch together and while I am not the biggest Van Morrison fan they are both legends for a reason but checked out a bunch of their collaborations/duets and can't do it. This was also a problem I faced with another I really like a band called Eluveitie and while I like their instrumentals and when they have just their female artists or just their male artists singing their "duets" don't do as much for me.
Try Luxtos if you want though but know there is better in their catalogue

Do we count "Hit the road Jack"?

Closest I have after this is actually dangerously close to a ballad (and there goes whatever street cred I have left), and again each of those individually has some amazing stuff but this... middling at best

In case I was forgetting things I also went through a bunch of list articles. Several had artists I really liked but none had songs I particularly care to note here. I would include Je t'aime... moi non plus if only because of the outrage it caused, not to mention I like the Judge Dread version more, even if that is by far one of his weaker "big" songs.

A qualitive and fine Selection.:)
Really nice and i enjoyed it to hear through it.
Thank you for sharing.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
German really is an ugly language when it comes to such songs -- works great for rock, metal, rap even if I have never heard a good one and even as much as I normally dislike the concept I will give that some German operas are fine examples of the concept. For anything else, much less something like that... my poor ears.

Though it did provide me with the wonder that is Jim der Regenwurm - TV Intro (and at some level a song between more than one singer so I will count it here)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...I hardly know duets. I don't even know if arguably the best one in the world counts:

"Paradise by the dashboard light", by Meat Loaf (and Ellen Foley, though I had to google her myself)

But wait...if that one disqualifies (along with half mr. Loaf's repertoire, now I think of it), then I've still got this gem up my sleeve:

"Where the wild roses grow", by Nick Cave and Kylie Minogue

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I want to continue with the David Bowie duet train.

David Bowie and Nine Inch Nails preforming Hurt in 1994. Such a yummy song, and just imagine seeing this live... aww man.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs