40lb bag of rice $22.50

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eggs.
Eggs are a wonderful food to eat as a pick me up and to get protein.
As a vegetarian (Not a vegan, vegans are lame. Cheese is wonderful! y u no eat cheese?), it is necessary for me to stay healthy.

And they are cheap.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ew, not tasty at all.
I would go with the meatless option in that case.

'cheap' meat scraps are generally more expensive per pound than good meat
hearts $1.69/lb
liver $1.99/lb

real meat avg $0.89-$1.19/lb (every week on sale at different stores)

some of yall need to learn how to cook....

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
'cheap' meat scraps are generally more expensive per pound than good meat
hearts $1.69/lb
liver $1.99/lb

real meat avg $0.89-$1.19/lb (every week on sale at different stores)

chicken hearts be 1.60 euro/kg where i get them.

Reactions: gameboy

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Their is also another part of the chicken, for the same price that might be more to your taste(i tend to forget the name).
It is however mostly bone but can be used for soups.
Oh yeah, no idea the name in English, but that is rancho in spanish.
Works good for soup.
Not really, it would be a nice skill TBH, but I am ok ordering food.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
a bread can last you 2 day days with some meat can and soup can last you a week. so buying a bread every 2 days and some meat or something else for vegetarians is around 14 euro while the other 6 euro you can spend on ingredients for soup. In total it'll cost around 20 euro and that can last you a week when on a tight budget. Sometimes you can even add some rice or spaghetti seeing as that is only 30 cents a package(1kg/500gr).

Last edited by kumikochan,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
a bread can last you 2 day days with some meat can and soup can last you a week. so buying a bread every 2 days and some meat or something else for vegetarians is around 14 euro while the other 6 euro you can spend on ingredients for soup. In total it'll cost around 20 euro and that can last you a week when on a tight budget. Sometimes you can even add some rice or spaghetti seeing as that is only 30 cents a package(1kg/500gr).
Back in my budget days I lived for 10-15€ a week. Perhaps Germany is just cheaper.
(and I lived on noodles, rice, some chicken, the eventual frozen pizza, etc.)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Back in my budget days I lived for 10-15€ a week. Perhaps Germany is just cheaper.
(and I lived on noodles, rice, some chicken, the eventual frozen pizza, etc.)
Yeah Germany is cheaper then Belgium when it comes to food. Most Belgian people i know in the area usually go shop in Aachen or in Maastricht (Netherlands) because of the massive difference in food pricing. I usually also go to the Netherlands to buy food because Belgium is just getting 2 out of control when it comes to pricing, taxes and so on.

Last edited by kumikochan,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never been poor enough that I neglect feeding myself, and if you will pardon the pun I am not exactly rolling in the dough. It seems like a really poor place to economise -- my priority is surely me and what I fuel myself with has a direct effect on what I can do. Sure I have been poor enough that I can not afford to have caviar and filet mignon on frozen pizza, never gone hungry or under nourished because of it. I guess I have supplemented with wild foods (some nice pigeons, rabbits, berries, wild garlic, other fruits, nuts, mushrooms and such have gone in the pot over the years, and I see there are plenty of pheasant where I am at now...), however that is more because it is tasty and while I could probably have afforded to go buy the apples and blackberries that went into the pie it was no big effort to go pick them instead, and fulfilled some kind of woodsman/hunter gatherer instinct. Likewise I will happily raid the reduced row in the supermarket and freeze or cook that night, and in such cases might end up eating a fish and a garlic flat bread where lamb and potatoes had more appeal.

On the radio yesterday they had a segment where they discussed the idea of some poor people with kids going hungry so their kids can eat. Certainly not all but many times I see that I see a cupboard filled with processed crap, often name brand processed crap, and the people eating it unable to cook. Now in the UK in my lifetime it has always been cheaper to cook stuff, and going by the cooking books my mum has (they go back to the 1800s) it has been for a long time. My times in the US though I struggled to do that and can see why people turn to over salted and fad laden cheap crap -- at various times I priced up a basic stir fry and despite most of the food travelling less distance it cost considerably more both relatively speaking and compared to something from a foil sealed pack.

What difference does being genetically modified make?
because genetic modifications are made to make crops resistant to glyphosate ,so farmers can blanket spray glyphosate on their crops , then the plans take it in through their roots and you eat a carcinogenic herbicide

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
box of asian noodles $9 for 50
eggs 89c
meat 99c/lb
cabbage $1.29
carrots $1
celery $1
onions $1
40lb bag of rice $22.50
you pay your eggs 89¢?
well here in quebec, its like 4$ for 12

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you pay your eggs 89¢?
well here in quebec, its like 4$ for 12
those with omega 3 are more expansive.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
because genetic modifications are made to make crops resistant to glyphosate ,so farmers can blanket spray glyphosate on their crops , then the plans take it in through their roots and you eat a carcinogenic herbicide
I fear this is one of those citation needed moments, also that would be a specific instance of one thing rather than an issue with the whole technique. Going further from my baseline understanding of the concept then while plants can play a role in poisons accumulating (them being a step on the food chain and all) I struggle to see it here, and there are multiple bodies aiming at preventing such things which say it is all good.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Eggs are super cheap in the US, depending on the state. I pay $1 for 2 dozen eggs here in MI.
That's really insane. I get 7 eggs for $1, they're $2 for 10 in supermarkets. I guess they could get cheaper if I bought in bulk but still not that cheap.

And canned tuna seems to be really cheap in the US, everyone seems to recommend it as a cheap ingredient, Chary said it's 45 cents a can? How large a can? It's $2 per 150 gram can (that's ~100 grams of fish, net) here. In any case, very cheap.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
That's really insane. I get 7 eggs for $1, they're $2 for 10 in supermarkets. I guess they could get cheaper if I bought in bulk but still not that cheap.

And canned tuna seems to be really cheap in the US, everyone seems to recommend it as a cheap ingredient, Chary said it's 45 cents a can? How large a can? It's $2 per 150 gram can (that's ~100 grams of fish, net) here. In any case, very cheap.
I know eggs are much more expensive in other US states, so I'm just lucky I suppose :P

As for Tuna, I have a few cans in my pantry ATM that are ~140grams before being drained, and ~120grams after.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Be forewarned that if you are used to European style canned tuna that the US stuff is rather different.

On US eggs I also found them washing them to be odd -- means you have to stick them in the fridge.

As for eggs here people seem to keep chickens and even up overflowing with eggs. Send a few cakes back their way and you can keep waking up in a stinky haze every morning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yltcaxE +1