You know what would make the PSP2 epic?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Rydian, Jun 30, 2010.

Jun 30, 2010
  1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    The PSP can play PS1 games.
    What if the PSP2 could play PS2 games?

Would you get it just for that?
    How much would you be willing to pay, assuming it's hacked and you can use something like PS2-2-PSP2 (PSX2PSP) for it?

2. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Considering a PSP is less than 200$, and a PS2 is about 60$ ATM, I'd pay 300$ if I can somehow have my PS2 games on the go.

Heck, looking at my PS2 library, I'd want if even if there was no hack, but the ability to use your PS2 games on it.

3. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i wouldn't buy it as a ps2. i already have one

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Well, unless the PSP2 has a high resolution and a high pixel density, I don't see how this could work out. I admit, it would be sweet to play all those PS2 games (there's LOADS of 'em!), but if the PSP2 only has a slightly better resolution than the PSP, it won't look as good as it actually can...

5. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    depends on the screen size, batt life etc.

but ignoring all those issues, i'd be willing to spend at most 250-300$ USD

then again that's IF it can play PS2 games, and then again i'd need a bigger reason than PS2 games to even consider a PSP2

6. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    this is 2010. i think a psp sized thing playing ps2 games is feasible, but A.) it would need really high resolution B.) you would likely want a somewhat larger screen. C.) storing more than one game at a time would be difficult, since dvdshold 4.7 gb... d.) cramming a ps2 controller into a psp kind of shape would likely be difficult.

i would definitely want one.

7. trans am

Newcomer trans am Advanced Member

Portugal
    Not if the battery only lasts 1h or less.

8. ryan90

Member ryan90 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    the ps3 can't emulate ps2 so i doubt the psp2 could

Although i noticed the xbox360 can emulate xbox1 which is more powerful than ps2, so i figure the ps2 must be very difficult to emulate, you need a ridiculously fast cpu for pcsx2 to work at its best.

9. Jolan

Bulgaria
    Wait, what.
    I though PS3 initially had backwards compatibility while Xbox 360 never had it?

10. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Yup...well initially it had the PS2 Hardware but later (and always in Europe) the PS2 was emulated via Software in the PS3.

11. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well how would you get YOUR games on it !? especially since there was never an official way to get YOUR PSX games on the PSP.
    If, they will most likely just port the games directly and sell them again like they do it now with PS2 HD versions on PS3.
    And Sony should anyway first care about more good games on the PSP at all (not just lazy ports of Console games)

12. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    Also, if they can achieve mass penetration of the hardware via ports you're far more likely to see big name dev's get involved if first party software is actually selling.

13. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    @xist: i just mean you need to buy the game again (even if you already have it) unless Sony finds a way (and is willing ) to transfer your games to the PSP or they just port them to the PSP2. I would find it stupid to buy a game again that i already have.

However this thread is anyway only speculation but i bet if PS2 games come to PSP2 you need so or so to pay again

14. Rydian
    OP

United States
    As Jolan said, the PS3 could originally play PS2 games (first hardware then emulation), but then sony purposely removed it from later models.
    http://us.playstation.com/support/compatiblestatus/

The 360 could play XBOX games.
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardco...tygameslist.htm

The PSP doesn't fully "emulate" a PS1 (as in it doesn't have to translate the full processor architecture), the PSP and PS1 had the same processor architecture, so much of the speed decrease in emulation didn't apply, the code could be run with just some modifications (which is the job of POPS). It's possible that the PSP2 will have a RISC-based processor (as the PS2 did), seeing as RISC is partially compatible with MIPS (what the PSX and current PSP use). Maybe something like this could be done for the PSP2, in that if they took certain precautions when designing it, it wouldn't have to emulate a wholly different processor architecture, and could run PS2 games with a special PRX and some pre-done modifications.

This is just an educated guess, though.

And nIxx, you're mistakingly assuming that the only PS2 games people would want to play on the PSP are PS2 games they've bought before. Even though I had a PS2 for a while there's TONS of games for it I have never played that I would be interested in playing now. Same deal with PSX on PSP, they're sold, people buy them, and people pirate them (and make their own) because it's not like everybody's played every PSX game. I've still yet to beat FF8 or even start FF9, for example, I haven't touched Vagrant Story nor Crono Cross, I never got very far at all in Metal Gear Solid, I'm only like halfway through Breath Of Fire 3 and have never played 4...

It's not like after a console's time has passed that everybody has played all it's games.

15. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    No matter what the features it may have, it will never be a success unless Sony give some of their time to PSP2 too, just think of it, Sony are so much into developing this and that for the PS3, but did they ever think about their handheld which could've been a massive success had Sony given it half of their time? They are just ridiculous and their arrogance will never make their handheld market boom (lol handheld? when was the last time their console market boomed?). Anyways, this ain't coming from a Nintendo fan, I'm into both PSP and DS, but what Sony could've done with their powerful handheld had they given some time to it, is something to think about.

16. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Could you list some things they could have done with the PSP that they didn't?

17. Jolan

Bulgaria
    You see the things they're adding with new firmware updates (other then exploit blocks) ?
    I had those in homebrew and plugin form 1 year ago, when a hack for the ta-088v3 came out.
    I believe they existed much longer before that.

18. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Graphics and multimedia center (stupid people only buy PSP to listen music). What a impressive revolution...

19. Rydian
    OP

United States
    The only one I know of is the game categories.

20. Jolan

Bulgaria
    Really? What about Comics? And the option to make sub-folders in Music and Photos? Those are some weak-ass updates, considering the amount of things plugins do for me.