Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is the only way that we can prevent future updates from blocking the new flashcarts' access to the DSi. We need to create a custom firmware that updates to new versions of the custom firmware instead of new versions of the official firmware. That also requires some kind of exploit to be found in the current firmware though. I hope somebody here on GBATemp will become the "Dark_Alex" of the DSi scene here. We are the largest GBA and DS community of the web, so I'm sure somebody will be able to take the time and do this for us so we don't have to get our new DSi flashcarts blocked.

CoconutCake

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have DA's CFW on my PSP, and it would be amazing to have something like that on the DSi!

Maybe the DSi will really become interesting in a few months.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You're not the first one who came up with this idea!
tongue.gif

But the thing is, Nintendo did a really good job this time, some of the skilled members here (Narin, I believe Normatt and others) talked about it and said that it'll be a very very hard thing to do, also, maintaining it will take lots of effort as well!

First we have to wait for english version of DSi to come out, and then we'll be able to discuss iit more, and maybe go into the details..

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, that's true. But hey, if it will take a long time to get through, then how about learning about the Japanese DSi hardware inside and seeing some exploits that we can make so we can apply it to the American and European DSi.

agentgamma

I dont know what to put here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Link5084 said:
Yeah, that's true. But hey, if it will take a long time to get through, then how about learning about the Japanese DSi hardware inside and seeing some exploits that we can make so we can apply it to the American and European DSi.
It will probably be useless since Nintendo would patch it by the time it comes overseas.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
jozsua_cruz said:
hello!! i just wanna ask what kind of flashcart would work on DSi and when will the DSi coming to north america?? Thank you for the answers!!
biggrin.gif
There are several carts announced/released for DSi at this point, check our review for Acekard 2i http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=12256

Also, DSi is announced to be released at NA sometime in the spring of the year 2009.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why do we need a custom firmware? We need a hack like the Twilight Hack
biggrin.gif
If Yasu can release his exploit, we might be able to make homebrew which can access all of the DSi hardware (camera etc.). That's a lot more interesting than piracy! I mean, if you want to pirate games, just buy a damn DS Lite...

Evilmaster1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lets just wait for the DSi to reach USA \ EU.
Iam sure someone will write a flashme for it.
Like Tony said if Narin says its hard... its gonna be hard.

Not that I praise him but he for sure pulled off some great things I dont see anyone else do at the moment
smile.gif

Untill then were stuck with the flashcarts from DSTT and Ace.
Which at the moment do not even use the DSi its features.
Showing how nice nintendo protected it so even the flashcart teams cant get hold of them new functions.

The chance Nintendo will lock out flashcarts already on the market for DSi is quite big.
Chance is if we wrote a flashme now they could possible make games that require a sertain version of firmware to run on.
Which will make a whole flashme useless again.
So my point is: Lets sit back and wait for the USA \ EU release and not waste any time on something that might be blocked on release date.

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the DSi REALLY needs is a GBA port, then I would actually consider getting one.
tongue.gif

But the flashcarts that work on DSi did exactly what I expected them to do.....use a REAL game's code to bypass the protection. I really don't see what Ninty can do about that short of preventing the game the flashcarts used from playing on the DSi....or going after the flashcart manufacturers for using official coding illegally.

MegamanDSi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Link5084 said:
This is the only way that we can prevent future updates from blocking the new flashcarts' access to the DSi. We need to create a custom firmware that updates to new versions of the custom firmware instead of new versions of the official firmware. That also requires some kind of exploit to be found in the current firmware though. I hope somebody here on GBATemp will become the "Dark_Alex" of the DSi scene here. We are the largest GBA and DS community of the web, so I'm sure somebody will be able to take the time and do this for us so we don't have to get our new DSi flashcarts blocked.

Dude What The DSi Really Needs is A HomeBrew Channel Like The Wii so DSi's Can Run HomeBrew Without a FlashCart

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
MegamanDSi said:
Link5084 said:

Dude What The DSi Really Needs is A HomeBrew Channel Like The Wii so DSi's Can Run HomeBrew Without a FlashCart
Yeah Thats What It Really Needs

(You signed up just so you could post that?)

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
This wont help the fact thats its going to be easy but doesn't the Ipod touch jailbreak by downloading the file off that certain site which I dont think I can post. Is it possible to do that for the DSI? Even if we do manage to make a custom firmware.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's probably not going to be as easy as downloading a file.

First people have to dump the firmware, study it, and then make their changes to it. Test it. Etc.

Then they have to find some exploit that allows them to use it on their actual DSi. This will probably start with a save exploit such as Lumines, Gripshift, Twilight Princess, etc.

Then that person has to be devoted enough to keep updating the custom firmware everytime nintendo sends out a new update.

And that will probably take awhile. It's best to just stick to flashcarts until then.

Kingfield

Trophies
XP
Country
DeltaBurnt said:
It's probably not going to be as easy as downloading a file.

First people have to dump the firmware, study it, and then make their changes to it. Test it. Etc.

Then they have to find some exploit that allows them to use it on their actual DSi. This will probably start with a save exploit such as Lumines, Gripshift, Twilight Princess, etc.

Then that person has to be devoted enough to keep updating the custom firmware everytime nintendo sends out a new update.

And that will probably take awhile. It's best to just stick to flashcarts until then.
heres a tip: Keep your firmware on as LOW version as possible, the lower versions generally don't need exploits from games.

(For psp anyways)

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
I was actually just going to make a topic on the homebrew scene for the DSi...Ah well.

I think a good thing to be able to do is obviously be able to make custom firmware, but also install something along the lines of The Homebrew App or something. This could then, of course, use the SD slot. It would be just like the Wii has been used. I have no idea if this is possible because I know nothing when it comes to coding and the like. Honestly. But then we could boot games from the SD card (mainly for people who don't have flashcarts), and let normal DS games able to use WPA, not just WEP.

Just a thought.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...